4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

30 rwhp ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:30 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I gained right around 35rwhp with my cams and long tubes.

Not trying to call anyone out, but I was curious about the 29rwhp gain with those mods. Maybe the shop was messing with the dyno results to make the gains seem greater.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:37 AM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by smitty2919
No way you gained that on a stock 2V...

What did you have for mods at the time?
What I mentioned, plus a handheld SCT tuner. I was right there when my guy tuned her on the Dyno. I am no expert, by a long shot, I am retired, the wife and me both, and do well enough that I can afford to pay a mechanic. ALL my work was outsourced. Being no expert, are Dynotunes ALWAYS done with a pull from 4th gear, from zero rpm right up to redline?? That's how my guy has always done it on my car, 3-4 times over the years. Sorry for my ignorance, but damn, I'm almost 58, and remember pre emissions and pre computers on cars. Back in the 60's and early 70's, I remember popping the hood, sitting on the inside wheel well, and doing all kinds of work, not knowing anything, just using common sense. At 18, I had a '68( I think ) Ford Falcon with a 289 in her. My buddy and me tore down the motor right in my driveway, had to change the head gasket, if I remember correctly, the whole job took about 3 hours, that's with screwing around. Christ , when I did try working on my Mustang last year, just changing the plugs, it took me 2 hours, and was a PITA. I went back to paying my guy $80 for the job, to hell with it, too much work, lol!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:39 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by piledriver
What I mentioned, plus a handheld SCT tuner. I was right there when my guy tuned her on the Dyno. I am no expert, by a long shot, I am retired, the wife and me both, and do well enough that I can afford to pay a mechanic. ALL my work was outsourced. Being no expert, are Dynotunes ALWAYS done with a pull from 4th gear, from zero rpm right up to redline?? That's how my guy has always done it on my car, 3-4 times over the years. Sorry for my ignorance, but damn, I'm almost 58, and remember pre emissions and pre computers on cars. Back in the 60's and early 70's, I remember popping the hood, sitting on the inside wheel well, and doing all kinds of work, not knowing anything, just using common sense. At 18, I had a '68( I think ) Ford Falcon with a 289 in her. My buddy and me tore down the motor right in my driveway, had to change the head gasket, if I remember correctly, the whole job took about 3 hours, that's with screwing around. Christ , when I did try working on my Mustang last year, just changing the plugs, it took me 2 hours, and was a PITA. I went back to paying my guy $80 for the job, to hell with it, too much work, lol!!!
LOL I know what you mean about the old days... I'm 46 now and remember when a set of wrenches was all you needed (no computers).

Typically, I would have guessed around 15-17rwhp with those mods and a 93oct custom tune. There are some little "tricks" that can be employed to make a dyno number a little higher than reality. It would be unheard of to gain 29rwhp from those mods alone (on an otherwise stock 2V motor). If you can find a local Mustang club and attend one of their dyno days, you can get a reality check on the dyno number you were provided by your mechanic. Dyno days are a lot of fun and a cheap way to get a couple of dyno pulls.