Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
sleepin96stang

Vehicle: 1996 Ford Mustang GT
Angry My 96 Mustang GT 5 spd not shifting into reverse at all

Hello, Im new to the site, and have only used it for searching problems before and everyone seems to have helped me through some of them. It seems ive had nothing but problems with my car, its a 96 GT with almost 150,000 miles on the car, a 97 motor was swapped in before i got it, it had no brake fluid, trans fluid, barely any oil and suspension problems when i got and now im having a problem getting into reverse. its always been iffy to get to reverse but ive always worked past it. (seems normal according to everyone with a t-5) but now i cant get it in reverse for the life of me. ive tried almost every solution mentioned from using second then reverse to rocking the car, etc. nothing is working. it will go into the area of reverse but when you let of the clutch it grinds terribly. please help! ive had enough with these constant problems.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
sleepin96stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
sleepin96stang

i need help with this ASAP! THANKS!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1998 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepin96stang View Post
Hello, Im new to the site, and have only used it for searching problems before and everyone seems to have helped me through some of them.

It seems ive had nothing but problems with my car, its a 96 GT with almost 150,000 miles on the car, a 97 motor was swapped in before i got it, it had no brake fluid, trans fluid, barely any oil and suspension problems when i got and now im having a problem getting into reverse.

Its always been iffy to get to reverse but ive always worked past it. (seems normal according to everyone with a t-45) but now i cant get it in reverse for the life of me. ive tried almost every solution mentioned from using second then reverse to rocking the car, etc. nothing is working. it will go into the area of reverse but when you let of the clutch it grinds terribly.

please help! ive had enough with these constant problems.
Formatting a post in a somewhat logical order such as this will get you much better replies in a much timelier manner. I'm not trying to be a grammar Nazi, or pick on you...just trying to help you get better responses.

Also, you have T-45, even if it says Borg-Warner Automotive on it, it is still a T-45.

I see that you tried quite a bit of methods, how about from 1st to 5th, then straight backwards quickly into R?

Also, are you still using the stock shifter? I suppose if you are the rubber parts of it could be deteriorated and you are having trouble putting it all the way in cause of that.

Next Mod: Lowering via coil overs
1998Slow 'Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
sleepin96stang

Default thanks

thanks for the info on how to post. like i said im new. and yes ive tried first to fifth, it just wont go in. it goes to the slot, but as soon as you let off the clutch it grinds and doesnt engage. i have a steeda tri ax shifter. and i have taken off the boot and the rubber sound plate so i could look in to see if rubber pieces had gotten in there and i cant see anything
Old 01-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Vehicle: 1997 Mustang GT, 2002 F150 XLT 4x4 Triton
MustangSVT97r
Send a message via AIM to uberstang1 Send a message via Yahoo to uberstang1

Honestly it sounds like you just need that t-45 to be rebuilt.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1998 Mustang GT

Well in that case man, I'm with Uberstang on this.

Next Mod: Lowering via coil overs
1998Slow 'Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Vehicle: 1998 SL500

There is a TSB for this problem, TSB 01-23-5, it does involve removal and disassembly of the transmission.

Also, FWIW, here's a document listing the various transmissions used in the '96 through '04 Mustang V8s...
RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq

Engineering is, at its base, making what you want from what you have.
At its extreme it is making what you want from what you can get.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:25 AM   #8
ruphil1986

Vehicle: 1996 ford mustang gt

hey, i had that problem and first i changed the clutch and improved a lot the problem, sometimes happens to me that is a bit hard to put the reverse but i think with the solution 1998Slow 'Stang gave about changing the rubber parts of the shifter the problem will be solved
ruphil1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:25 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2003, 4.6 modular, 46, 96, arent, gt, mpg, mustang, not working, reverse, rims, roush, shifting, t-5, working