4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just Purchased 04 Mustang GT - Need Help...

Old 01-28-2012, 04:30 PM
fZeciri

Default Just Purchased 04 Mustang GT - Need Help...

Okay so I just bought a 2004 Mustang GT (off of eBay) with all the nice upgrades, Chrome Wheels, Leather, Mach Audio, etc.. This might be a bit winded but I want to be as thorough as possible... and I'm not much of a car guy (which means I probably shouldn't have bought this but whats done is done). I'm just going to copy the important stuff from the eBay listing.

"Removed Evap system from behind the dash, installed a fuel cell, front coil over suspension tubular k-member, Strange engineering 10 way adjustable shocks all the way around, FLAMING RIVER manual steering rack, JEGS manual brake system, line lock, and a auto meter gauge cluster.

The car has a 302 out of a 93' Mustang with a factory replacement distributor summit racing intake and carb, 6AL ignition box, AOD transmission, rear end is factory 3.27 W/ Posi. Drive shaft is installed, all the car needs to be driven is exhaust(manifold to x-pipe) the car has a dynomax 2.5" x-pipe to tail pipe, pressurized coolant reservoir, shifter and a panel to mount switches."

So I have a couple of questions maybe you guys can help me with. First, like stated there's no shifter for the AOD. The guy I bought it from manually shifted the car from underneath and then we threw it on the trailer. I thought to myself, man that looked easy surely I can figure that out on my own.. Well I was wrong, so now the car is sitting on my trailer in drive (1st) so I can't back it off the trailer to really look at it. I'd rather prefer to shift it out myself than take it to a mechanic.

Do you guys recommend any certain kind of shifter for the car? I don't want to spend a boat load on it, maybe $100-$200 if that's reasonable.

Also I need the interior trim piece that is on the drivers side right next to the windshield that runs from the headliner to the dash, don't know what it's called to do a search on it.

Any help would be really appreciated...
Old 01-28-2012, 04:36 PM
fZeciri

Also, with the purchase I got a brand new 545 stroker engine. Again here's a direct copy and paste from eBay:

I had a 545 stroker short block built for the car about 6 months ago.
Engine specs: 545 forged Eagle rotating assembly(rated 850+hp) -2cc dished pistons for 13.2:1 compression w/72cc heads(heads NOT included) , arp main studs w/main cap girdle, half filled block, ford racing oil pump and pick up tube, 7qt moroso oil pan, ARP engine bolt kit, ARP head studs, short block built by Mercer machine and performance, built multiple engines and never had mechanical failure with them. Has been wrapped in a trash bag and a engine cover over the trash bag to keep it as clean as possible. Over 3K in parts I had the best parts installed I could find.

I'm in Boonville, Mo if anyone is interested in it I plan on selling it (I don't have any need for it, he planned on putting it in the Mustang).

I know a 460/545 stroker kits sell online for anywhere from $1,000-$3,000. If anyone is interested make me a decent offer. Again, I didn't build it or plan on using it so I don't have any attachments to it, I'm open to most offers.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:59 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Sounds a bit like you're a bit over your head here...Check out american muscle.com, you should be able to find a shifter on there, hurst, b&M and many others. Or you could go to a junk yard and find one.
You can always crawl under the car and move it by hand (dangerous...but well...) The linkage should be on the left hand side of the transmission, and if I remember right(dont quote Me!) moving the lever all the way toward the rear of the car should be reverse.
You need to make sure everything is there that is necessary to install the new shifter for it to work.
To me, buying someone elses project is asking for trouble, but, at least you will have an opportunity for a crash course!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:32 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

I'm sorry to say, but that car sounds chopped to bits mechanically. Is it in full race gear or something? I don't understand the odd combo of street car parts and hard core race-only stuff, not to mention taking an OBD2 modular car and putting in an old 302 pushrod motor. It sounds like a mess, and someone who doesn't know how to install a shifter and doesn't want to spend more than a couple hundred bucks is indeed over his head...
Old 01-29-2012, 08:29 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Putting a carbed pushrod into a 99-04 really isn't that hard to do, not does it require chopping things up. You really just drop in a 94-95 k member or aftermarket k frame, drop the motor in run some fule lines for the carb and runs some electrical for the ignition and thats about it. Putting in a 545 big block base motor on the other hand is alot more in depth, it sounds like someone was trying to build a race car and just called it quits like previously stated. to shift the transmission just go under the car and look for the bracket where shifter linkage goes and keep click it till you get reverse.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:16 PM
fZeciri

Well I'd have to agree with everyone here that I am a bit over my head. I have a bit of experience with body work and paint, but not a whole lot when it comes to mechanics of a vehicle.

The guy was planning on building a race car, but never got around to finishing it, and started focusing more on bikes. Which I wouldn't deny because he had a couple of them in the garage.

Looks like I'm just going to take the car to my mechanic and let him finish everything off.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:48 AM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

The trim piece u want to know about is the a-pillar trim panel. It sounds like he may have had some a-pillar gauges in it and took them out before he sold it.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:48 AM
fZeciri

Originally Posted by 5sp04GT
The trim piece u want to know about is the a-pillar trim panel. It sounds like he may have had some a-pillar gauges in it and took them out before he sold it.
Great! Thanks.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

I don't suppose you'd be willing to link the ebay posting? Im curious to see the ad.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 PM
fZeciri

Originally Posted by aschroeger
I don't suppose you'd be willing to link the ebay posting? Im curious to see the ad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just Purchased 04 Mustang GT - Need Help...