4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Possible engine/exhaust problem? (video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:51 PM
GmbH

Default Possible engine/exhaust problem? (video)

So I have a 2003 GT auto with 83000 miles and since I have had the car white smoke comes out of the exhaust pipes

video:<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5PFzHJmY1RY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

some things I have noticed

-laggy throttle response, the car still "goes" but the throttle feels sluggish especially from dead stops

- temp gauge goes from cold to halfway after 10 mins of regular stop and go driving

-white smoke just wisps out of the exhaust pipes like in the video it is not Alaskan winter bad except when i turn on the a/c then it gets pretty bad also the car gives off a strong "fuelish" type of smell and when I cup my hand directly on the exhaust my hand smells sweet

from what I gather lurking here and other boards is this could be a bad intake manifold or head gasket correct? or could it be the exhaust I bought the car with causing this? (bassani o/r X mac catback) I pulled the dipstick and the oil looks like the "chocolate milk" you see on google images

this is my DD I do not beat on it at all but I am the third owner. I park the car in a consistent spot and have seen no leaks and the fuel smell comes from the rear of the car

sorry for the lengthy post I just wanted to be thorough and any guidance you guys can give would be GREATLY appreciated as this is my first mustang and my bebeh.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 PM
GmbH

embed was a fail so here is the yt link sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PFzH...p6K0W8UNXs-MaZ
Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Looks pretty normal I'd say. Especially if it's below 65 or so degrees.

How about a pic of the chocolate milk?

Cars without catalytic converters (that's what "o/r" implies in ref. to the mid pipe) tend produce more steam in the winter months and always produce more gassy smell.

Edit: Also, if it were a head gasket or true coolant leak like the intake manifold problems that were solved by mid or late 03, you would not be able to drive 10 miles without it overheating as well as loosing yourself in all the steam it would produce.

Last edited by 1998Slow 'Stang; 02-06-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:20 PM
GmbH

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
Looks pretty normal I'd say. Especially if it's below 65 or so degrees.How about a pic of the chocolate milk?
pic:Name:  YDC5q.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  296.6 KB

does it look like coolant with oil or just old oil? also while it was a cold day when I took the video the car gives me the same smoke from the exhaust on warm summer days also

is there anything I can check to rule out HG or IM either way?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

I'd flush the cooling system and see if that changes the look of that.

For what its worth, usually headgasket failures result in coagulation of the oil and water, causing thick goopey, pancake batter looking yuckies.

This is an extreme example of the coagulation that would occur. (NOTE: This is a camera phone pic, color of the goop is slightly darker than the pic shows) This is my car btw, and if I had let that sit there it would eventually separate into its two parts.

Yours looks more like dirty dirty antifreeze, I'd try that first unless yours is very goopy
Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 PM
GmbH

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
I'd flush the cooling system and see if that changes the look of that.

For what its worth, usually headgasket failures result in coagulation of the oil and water, causing thick goopey, pancake batter looking yuckies.

This is an extreme example of the coagulation that would occur. (NOTE: This is a camera phone pic, color of the goop is slightly darker than the pic shows) This is my car btw, and if I had let that sit there it would eventually separate into its two parts.

Yours looks more like dirty dirty antifreeze, I'd try that first unless yours is very goopy

Dayummmmmmm! shxt man! i checked my coolant and it feels like water and not gopey although it is dark and murky as hell, i am going to take the care in tomorrow for a coolant flush and oil change so if it helps any. also do you think if i threw a stock mid pipe back on it would alleviate the smoke problem?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Looks normal to me. That oil looks fine too. Any check engine lights? It might be running a touch rich, which can make it smoke like that and have sluggish response.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:53 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

White smoke from the exhaust means water is getting into the motor, or your mufflers have a lot of water condensed in them.
If the oil looks clean and normal, I would think the head gaskets are OK. However, I would do a compression check to see if any issues turn up there.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:21 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
White smoke from the exhaust means water is getting into the motor, or your mufflers have a lot of water condensed in them.
If the oil looks clean and normal, I would think the head gaskets are OK. However, I would do a compression check to see if any issues turn up there.
Excess fuel can cause white/grey looking smoke to come out. I just had an example of this happen last night. Bought a 92 F150 that was smoking heavily out of the tailpipes, caused by excess fuel. Pulled the plugs and they were soaked with fuel, had the original wires/cap/rotor on it causing poor ignition.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

The exact color is important here.
White is steam. Blue is oil. Rich is a little darker.

I still say I'd do a compression check to verify no major issues, then move forward from there.