4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Horizontal Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 AM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Default Horizontal Rear Shocks

I noticed the last time I had my rear tires off (mid-summer 2011) that the rear horizontal shocks, right behind the wheel/tires was wet with oil. Both sides. Figure they are gas charged and blown? Doesn't seem to affect ride quality.

Is there a specific name for these and should I just replace all 4 rear? Im no drag racer, but like playing every once in a while. Its not a daily driver. A good name brand set?

03 GT, solid axle, think they call it a "Quad Shock" set up?
Thanks for any info/advice.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

if you upgraded your rear lower control arms then you dont need them, you can take them off for weight savings and what not, you wont notice any different ride quality. but if you'd like to replace them then yes most people call them quad shocks.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

FWIW, Ford calls them the "Rear axle driveline vibration damper".

Gabriel calls them "steering dampers", as do most of the FLAPS--Autozone has them for $25 a pop.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:23 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
if you upgraded your rear lower control arms then you dont need them, you can take them off for weight savings and what not, you wont notice any different ride quality. but if you'd like to replace them then yes most people call them quad shocks.

+1. I never run quad shocks on my Mustangs. No wheel hop with UPR control arms.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
FWIW, Ford calls them the "Rear axle driveline vibration damper".

Gabriel calls them "steering dampers", as do most of the FLAPS--Autozone has them for $25 a pop.
Thanks guys. The control arms are stock for now. Will look into upgrading.

Cliffyk, This may sound dumb, but you all know I was talking about the rear shocks, right? The links you posted for Autozone and Gabriel are both calling them Steering Dampers. As if designed for the front end?

Also Cliffyk, Your picture of the steering wheel in the Mustang. Not to get off subject here, but I have always loved the look of an aftermarket steering wheel. Back after high school (early-mid 90's) I had a 1989 IROC-Z, TPI 350, T-Tops that didn't leak, gold wheel package, etc. Nice car until I destroyed it out drinking one night with some buddies. DUI, reckless driving, fleeing and eluding, illegal squealing of tires. Then had to sell remains to fund my fines, lawyer expenses.

Anyway, this was all before airbags and one of my first couple of mods for that IROC was a B&M ratchet shifter and a Grant steering wheel. I was wondering if your picture of the steering wheel is in a Mustang that came equipped with a factory airbag. If so, what was your way around the cruise controls and did disconnecting the airbag throw a dummy light on the dash?

Does anyone make a cool aftermarket steering wheel that will keep the safety features of the airbag and possibly the controls for cruise?
Old 02-17-2012, 07:27 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by MyGt03
Thanks guys. The control arms are stock for now. Will look into upgrading.

Cliffyk, This may sound dumb, but you all know I was talking about the rear shocks, right? The links you posted for Autozone and Gabriel are both calling them Steering Dampers. As if designed for the front end?
They call them that, but they are really the rear vibration dampers; aka "quad shocks".

Also Cliffyk, Your picture of the steering wheel in the Mustang. Not to get off subject here, but I have always loved the look of an aftermarket steering wheel. Back after high school (early-mid 90's) I had a 1989 IROC-Z, TPI 350, T-Tops that didn't leak, gold wheel package, etc. Nice car until I destroyed it out drinking one night with some buddies. DUI, reckless driving, fleeing and eluding, illegal squealing of tires. Then had to sell remains to fund my fines, lawyer expenses.

Anyway, this was all before airbags and one of my first couple of mods for that IROC was a B&M ratchet shifter and a Grant steering wheel. I was wondering if your picture of the steering wheel is in a Mustang that came equipped with a factory airbag. If so, what was your way around the cruise controls and did disconnecting the airbag throw a dummy light on the dash?
It's a Grant 714, more about it here--

Does anyone make a cool aftermarket steering wheel that will keep the safety features of the airbag and possibly the controls for cruise?
I have had a coronary bypass so there's nothing "safe" about an exploding steering wheel for me...
Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

^^^^^Neat!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Sweet. Thanks cliffyk. Hope you don't mind me maybe stealing your cc design. I don't drive like an idiot and would love to get a grant steering wheel again. Never trusted them airbags anyhow. Heard stories of old ladies sitting all up close to steering wheel getting all busted up when that thing goes boom. I sit as far back from it as possible.

And thanks for the info on them "steering dampers". Would it be worth buying high performance dampers? Would they last longer than stock type? Do they even make performance?
Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

All they are is an NVH thing, that's why removing them does not really affect anything--they really have nothing to do with "wheel hop"..

Airbags are interesting things. It's illegal to ship them via USPS, disconnected from a battery with VERY little chance of their detonating, but it's OK for you or a "loved one" to drive down the road with one 18" from your/their face armed and ready to go.

I have a waiver because of my surgery, if I didn't I'd see if I could get an elective bypass...