4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:25 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

brake problem!! locking up and dragging!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:31 PM
stevehatestom

Exclamation brake problem!! locking up and dragging!

Okay so let me start off by saying I DONT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO! Heres some brack ground info on my 96 GT vert. Bought it about a year ago. The last guy really beat on this car. but to the point its pretty much a brand new looking car now. Only issue is the brakes! The ABS light has been on since I bought it. Dont know if that comes into any effect..

But my brakes will lock up and drag after about 10 minutes of driving on any given day. The pedal is super stiff and hard and my car can barely move. I have to keep pulling over and crack open my master cylinder. Drive off, and after some use it happens again! I'm assuming its just the front wheels because my steering will shake violently when the brakes are coming close to locking up.

I replaced the master cylinder a few months back, it has a small spit from the bottom. so before it got any worse i decided ill just replace it. Soon after it was replaced this issue came up with the brakes. So I bled all the wheels and the MC, drove the car for like an hour or more. Nothing happened! so i thought okay problem solved! Nope! Next day, take it to work and before I get there I had to pull over and bleed off the MC! So confused I went to Napa where I got the BRAND NEW MC and explained there might be something wrong with the MC. They told me, "oh this is a typical thing when you replace you MC. The hoses are prolly stretched and need to be replaced." So i ordered 2 new front hoses, put them in, bled everything again. Drove it down the highway, still my brakes lock up! So I called my uncle he owns a shop explained it to him. He thought it could be my power brake booster. Bought that! Put that in and still my brakes lock up! At this point i dont know what else I can do besides maybe replace the calipers....

ANY IDEA?![/b]
thanks!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:56 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

If your uncle owns a shop have him run the abs codes. That may lead you away from the "throw parts at it" approach and actually find the cause.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Chris2001gt

my 01 is doing the same thing have already replaced both calipers. after pumping pedal a few times pedal becomes hard to push and rotors will not turn ? any help is appreciated?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:01 PM
KbBlown01

Check how the front brake pads are installed. There is a difference in the rivets on the pads and they cannot be installed interchangeably between the two sides of the rotor.

A brake shop made this mistake on my mustang and the rivets poked out huge holes in the pistons and caused the pads to drag. Once the pads were installed correctly they no longer dragged (even with the holes poked in the pistons).
Old 04-03-2013, 08:46 PM
johncrist1988

Originally Posted by KbBlown01
Check how the front brake pads are installed. There is a difference in the rivets on the pads and they cannot be installed interchangeably between the two sides of the rotor.

A brake shop made this mistake on my mustang and the rivets poked out huge holes in the pistons and caused the pads to drag. Once the pads were installed correctly they no longer dragged (even with the holes poked in the pistons).
Same thing happened to me. Definitely take a look at that.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 PM
art02gt
3rd Gear Member

Check if your pads are wearing evenly. Also check if the sliding pin moves freely on the calipers
Old 10-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Jute

Default Brake problem is the same - all four wheels dragging

My brakes quickly start dragging to the point I cannot drive the vehicle.

I would like to know how this thread's problem was fixed. I have a 96 GT with the same issue. I have replaced the Brake Booster, Master Cylinder, cleaned the Proportioning Valve and have bled the brakes too many times. To unlock the brakes, I must release brake fluid from either the master cylinder or one of the brake cylinders or just let it sit for awhile. I've greased the caliper pins, have new pads on it, bled the air from the booster, and have put the new master cylinder valves in the old master cylinder and tried it. All to no avail. Suggestions welcome.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Have any of you looked to see if the ABS is pressurizing the system and not letting the pressure out? I would look into the ABS module itself if the ABS light is on.

Brake calipers are very simple and are incapable of pressurizing by themselves. Your problems are pressure related, the only thing that can create pressure is the pedal and the ABS unit.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:53 PM
vip3r82

Question I am having the same issue

I have a 01 V6 stang both the old and new cal is locking up on the driver side, I have bleed the system 4 times, no abs lights. only way i can get the rotor to turn is to take the cal off and compress the cal pistons all the way back then reinstall it. I am lost! anyone know what to do? I don't like part swapping lol
Old 01-02-2015, 07:17 PM
stevehatestom

It turned out I was repetitively sold bad MCs from napa! Don't buy their junk I was so confused I shelled out money to ford to look at it! I suggest finding someone who can read abs codes or get one off eBay I bought one after this whole mess I spent money on almost a new brake system front to back just from being sold bad MCs 3 times.....