4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best Exhaust For Emission Restricted States

Old 02-22-2012, 12:47 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

My experience:

I run a bassani catted x and a SLP catback with LM1's and stock headers. I have not been caught running the illegal midpipe, and I have had my car checked underneath by cops. MOST cops (unless they are car guys) do not know how many cats you are supposed to have.

I just swap the midpipe every other year to pass smog. It isn't a huge pain. I usually swap it a week or so before I plan to test to burn out whatever crap is in the pipe, and make sure they haven't clogged.

It seems cops are more concerned here with cars that are running off-road pipes (the smell is a dead giveaway) and the import car crowd.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:24 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aereon
Because carb laws are stupid, from what a few sfpd friends of mine have said, ANY modification to the stock oem exhaust that makes it louder is technically illegal. However, unless it's obnoxiously loud most chp/cops won't bother you for it, also read that as you not being a tool while on the road. The downside to that is, if you get a chippy or someone wanting to ruin your day and you get sent to a ref, you better explain why there is anything other than oem exhaust coming from the engine. I've heard of them taking the headers off a car in order to check for the carb stamp cause they couldn't see it from underneath or on top.

[rant]The way I see it is, if it passes the sniffer and is not obnoxiously loud, I don't see the reason why our tax dollars are going towards someone that does nothing but looks to see if you have aftermarket parts that has not spent the time/money to go through carb certification. Would like to see some of that cash go towards school or repaving the roads, was so happy a few months back with the budget crisis and carb closing down for awhile, only to have them reopen and lower the threshold for smog.
[/rant]
I dont think too many car guys have a deep love for the different carb and emissions testing but all of that crap started changing years and years ago and I heard Cali is the most strict about it. So obviously not too many ppl care about it and i doubt things would move backwards on it. The best thing to do is to find any loophole you can it will be different state by city and to ask questions about it from different car guys to see what you can get away with. Some guys love the sound of no cats but removing cats in some places can get you a $2500 fine and get the shop that did it heavily fined or shut down.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kast1376
My experience:

It seems cops are more concerned here with cars that are running off-road pipes (the smell is a dead giveaway) and the import car crowd.
Spot on. I ran an o/r x for a bit and the smell is definately a dead giveaway! from what I understand thats what really brought in alot of negative attention was the whole import scene.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM
HorsePWR07

Question MAC or BORLA

i am stuck on 2 exhaust the mac or borla ATAK. i have an 07 GTand i am ready to change my exhaust. what would be best and why? i like both. both have a little give and take but both sound real nice also.
second part would you get the axel back or just cat back?
Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HorsePWR07
i am stuck on 2 exhaust the mac or borla ATAK. i have an 07 GTand i am ready to change my exhaust. what would be best and why? i like both. both have a little give and take but both sound real nice also.
if I had an s197 and had the cash for it, I'd love to go with the akrapovic setup....the pipes so ****ing sexy, other than that, borla's in my experience have a much nicer finished product than macs. Sound will be very opinion based.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:54 PM
bkelley
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HorsePWR07
According to the guy I talked to at the muffler shop, our cars are already setup pretty well as far as piping goes. The only real reason to go with the full catback would be if you want to go with bigger pipes, but even then after all the install the diameter at the bends will be right back at around 2.25" - 2.5" anyways. So he advised just going axle back. And I know the Borlas are expensive, but I don't think anything sounds as good. And I love the sound of the Macs, but Borla is hard to beat.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 AM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bkelley
Yeah, I was actually thinking about just doing axle back since the GTs are already setup with a pretty good exhaust system. Get some Borla S-Type mufflers and some nice 2.5" or 3" chrome tips.
In my opinion, I think going with a new catback setup would be ideal. I have the Borla Stingers on my car with the stock H pipe. My friend that smogs cars said it won't make a difference in the smog results. Btw, this is in California, the most **** emissions state out there!

I would like to run a catted X pipe, but I just don't want the hassle of it not passing and performing a swap. Also, Borla has 4" tips!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:30 PM
bkelley
1st Gear Member

3" is probably what I'll go with. 4" is too big for my liking (... haha).
Old 02-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rockwell28
I dont think too many car guys have a deep love for the different carb and emissions testing but all of that crap started changing years and years ago and I heard Cali is the most strict about it. So obviously not too many ppl care about it and i doubt things would move backwards on it. The best thing to do is to find any loophole you can it will be different state by city and to ask questions about it from different car guys to see what you can get away with. Some guys love the sound of no cats but removing cats in some places can get you a $2500 fine and get the shop that did it heavily fined or shut down.

You'd be surprised at how things are in parts of the state, several guys from a local forum were pulled over by a chippy, behind the chippy was a truck trailoring a rolling smog station.

The state is broke, no bigger payout than finding people with modified mid pipes. Not saying to the op to not mod his exhaust, I ran around with straightpipes to lm1's for a few months before going back to a catted mid and lm2's, but just want him to know what he's getting into.

Sad thing is California probably has some of the better car enthusiast weather, but the legislature has to ruin it=/
Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 PM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FormlessGT
In my opinion, I think going with a new catback setup would be ideal. I have the Borla Stingers on my car with the stock H pipe. My friend that smogs cars said it won't make a difference in the smog results. Btw, this is in California, the most **** emissions state out there!

I would like to run a catted X pipe, but I just don't want the hassle of it not passing and performing a swap. Also, Borla has 4" tips!
Swapping a mid pipe isn't too bad, takes maybe all of 4 hours (if that) to do the swap to a stocker and then swap back.

Also, depending on where you live in CA, several counties do not require smog. Make some friends there!

We had one of the roller dynos show up today here in Roseville. Our state is broke, yet we are spending money to fund these things? I am sure that the funds could be put to a better use!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Exhaust For Emission Restricted States