4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best Exhaust For Emission Restricted States

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 AM
bkelley
1st Gear Member

Default Best Exhaust For Emission Restricted States

I really want a MAC pro chamber, but I need to be able to pass a smog test. Was just wondering what the best sound/performance option would be that would still pass smog? I like the raspier sounding exhausts like Mac and Flowmaster. Was looking at the Mac catback system from American Muscle.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:37 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bkelley
I really want a MAC pro chamber, but I need to be able to pass a smog test. Was just wondering what the best sound/performance option would be that would still pass smog? I like the raspier sounding exhausts like Mac and Flowmaster. Was looking at the Mac catback system from American Muscle.
you should pass smog with any catback with the stock midpipes. If you are in California it is a bit iffier, if you get pulled for visual you need to explain why your catback is different from stock. Also catted midpipes can pass in california, but just barely, I barely passed by .04 ppm's.

Replacing non broken cats in cali are illegal in cali, also the refs will check for 4 cats in an h config.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 PM
bkelley
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I was actually thinking about just doing axle back since the GTs are already setup with a pretty good exhaust system. Get some Borla S-Type mufflers and some nice 2.5" or 3" chrome tips.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

Yep our hand are tied for the most part. That is unless you want to swap exhaust every time you need to get it smogged. CAT back is about all that you can do.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:16 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Some people get too hung up on exhaust modification. There are dozens of other ways to make power. I'm only running a cat back and am just fine with it. In any state (checked or not), it's illegal to remove the pollution control.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
. In any state (checked or not), it's illegal to remove the pollution control.
True!!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Bay_Area_Boy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aereon
you should pass smog with any catback with the stock midpipes. If you are in California it is a bit iffier, if you get pulled for visual you need to explain why your catback is different from stock. Also catted midpipes can pass in california, but just barely, I barely passed by .04 ppm's.

Replacing non broken cats in cali are illegal in cali, also the refs will check for 4 cats in an h config.

Why would one need to explain the additon of a catback? should i not get a cat back because of cali laws?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 AM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure what your state restrictions are but see if you can get cats on a prochamber (pretty hard) and go with a chambered muffler to keep it quieter than the straight through ones.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bay_Area_Boy
Why would one need to explain the additon of a catback? should i not get a cat back because of cali laws?
Because carb laws are stupid, from what a few sfpd friends of mine have said, ANY modification to the stock oem exhaust that makes it louder is technically illegal. However, unless it's obnoxiously loud most chp/cops won't bother you for it, also read that as you not being a tool while on the road. The downside to that is, if you get a chippy or someone wanting to ruin your day and you get sent to a ref, you better explain why there is anything other than oem exhaust coming from the engine. I've heard of them taking the headers off a car in order to check for the carb stamp cause they couldn't see it from underneath or on top.

[rant]The way I see it is, if it passes the sniffer and is not obnoxiously loud, I don't see the reason why our tax dollars are going towards someone that does nothing but looks to see if you have aftermarket parts that has not spent the time/money to go through carb certification. Would like to see some of that cash go towards school or repaving the roads, was so happy a few months back with the budget crisis and carb closing down for awhile, only to have them reopen and lower the threshold for smog.
[/rant]
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Phaxtor
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aereon

[rant]The way I see it is, if it passes the sniffer and is not obnoxiously loud, I don't see the reason why our tax dollars are going towards someone that does nothing but looks to see if you have aftermarket parts that has not spent the time/money to go through carb certification. Would like to see some of that cash go towards school or repaving the roads, was so happy a few months back with the budget crisis and carb closing down for awhile, only to have them reopen and lower the threshold for smog.
[/rant]
+1 I completely agree with said rant.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust For Emission Restricted States