4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine swap for my '96 GT

Old 03-02-2012, 11:05 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

My motors currently out and I decided to go through the top instead of risking damage to my aftermarket k frame, the hardest part is removing a long tube head in my case to drop the trans. I pulled my motor out through the top and didn't even have to take the hood off.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:09 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by piledriver
Hey guys, you all seem to know what you are talking about, so don't take this the wrong way, because I am ignorant in the matter. Isn't a Lincoln Mark VIII cammed different, and de-tuned, compared to a Mustang motor? You know, less power? Or do you guys do something to remedy that? Like I said, I am a mental midget about this sort of thing, so please enlighten me, and be nice,lol!
Compared to the Cobra, yes it is detuned a little bit. This comes from the cams and a little from the intake. The biggest reason that the Mark VIII only made 285HP is because of the straws they called exhaust on the lincoln. Compared to a 2V, it's a freaking monster.

Originally Posted by Tesla_HV
Thanks for the replies. I found a '98 VIII engine not too far from here. It has less than 70k miles so I might go and pick it up tomorrow. A couple of more questions if I could. I do not have a shop to working on it will be restricted to nice days in the driveway. That said, which way would you recommend swapping the engine; out of the top or drop the k-member and out of the bottom? Also, when I go to pick the engine up, what additional Mark VIII parts are critical?

As for the IMRC, the way that I understand it is that the IMRC keeps the runner to one of the two intake valves closed during low-RPM operation. Above a certain RPM a butterfly valve opens letting intake air into the second valve. Is this correct? If so, does disabling the system permanently open the intake air to both valves? How does a blocking plate accomplish this? What are the alternatives? The way that I understand it, the '96 GT computer has no control for this valve so if I use the IMRC, then I will have to come up with a tach threshold circuit which would control a relay. Is there a published circuit for this. (I am an electrical engineer).

One last question; I see that afterward a 'tune' is recommended. Where does on go to get a tune?

Sorry for so many questions I'm sure that I will have more.

Hey it's the weekend (almost).

Monty
I would get the throttle cable from the Mark VIII as well as the intake tube. I did some frankenstien work on mine to make both of those items work. Personally, I just wired the IMRC's open with zip ties, but I was aiming for a sub $500 build. You are correct on the reason the GT computer won't control the IMRC's, and you are correct on how to get them working. The tune is by getting a tuner, SCT is popular, and then getting a custom dyno tune for it. The Mark VIII motor will spin to 6500RPM easy, but the GT cuts fuel at 6K, so that is one thing. Mine is still running on the GT tune.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:51 PM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by jeh4269
Best way is to drop the engine out the bottom.You will have to do an IMRC delete.There's a rod that runs lengthways through the imrc's and has butterflies fastened to it.Take the butterflies off and pull the rod out.Then you either can weld the holes or epoxy them shut.You will lose some low end torque but will gain hp at higher rpm's.You will need a handheld tuner like an sct or diablo.Find a high performance shop around you to see if they can dyno tune it for you.I think the mark viii motors made 285 hp and the cobra engines made 305 hp.The major difference is the cams and the cobra has a forged crank.
I guess that answers my question... thanks guys.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:33 AM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

On the cobras(not sure about the mark viii)the butterflies would open up at around 3200 rpm.I pulled my butterflies and my rods out then my friends dad welded the holes shut.After that I sanded the welds smooth.BTW I bought a set of mark vii heads first then got a complete cobra motor,when I was doing my imrc delete I discovered that the mark viii heads and cobra imrc's wouldn't work together.Just fyi
Old 03-03-2012, 01:31 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeh4269
On the cobras(not sure about the mark viii)the butterflies would open up at around 3200 rpm.I pulled my butterflies and my rods out then my friends dad welded the holes shut.After that I sanded the welds smooth.BTW I bought a set of mark vii heads first then got a complete cobra motor,when I was doing my imrc delete I discovered that the mark viii heads and cobra imrc's wouldn't work together.Just fyi
3K RPM on the Mark VIII. What year Mark VIII heads and are you sure they weren't continental heads? I know the Cobra intake will bolt to all Mark VIII heads, so I don't see why the IMRC's wouldn't work. I know the 93-96 Mark VIII uses a vacuum system to control the IMRC and the 97-98 uses an electric motor, just like the cobra.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:41 AM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

If he is getting a 97 or 98 Mark VIII motor the IMRC's are composite plastic stuff and can't be welded. I used Quiksteel from the local AutoZone and close to 3K miles later it's still holding. I would say if you can afford it, definitely get a dyno tune the 24LB/h injectors that should come with the motor. It does run okay, but I feel that I could get much more out of this motor with better injectors and a tune. (I'm also on the stock tune at close to 3 thousand miles)
Old 03-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JC316
...The Mark VIII motor will spin to 6500RPM easy, but the GT cuts fuel at 6K, so that is one thing. Mine is still running on the GT tune.
Will a tune fix this 6K shutoff?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

You need to buy a handheld tuner such as an SCT or diablosport.When you take it to have your car dyno tuned(highly recommended),the technician will use the handheld tuner to upload a custom tune for your car.The tuner is what you use to set the rev limiter at the rpm's you would like.The tuner uploads your custom tune and downloads then stores your stock tune.
JC316 the mark viii heads I got have one square intake port and one oval intake port for each cylander.My Cobra imrc's had two oval ports for each cylander if I remember correctly.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 AM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by Tesla_HV
Will a tune fix this 6K shutoff?
Yes.... my fuel shutoff is 6300 rpm, and with my Paxton2000 Centri, it WILL pull hard right to 6300.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Tesla_HV
1st Gear Member

Hi all,
I've found a guy selling some FRPP shorty headers supposedly for a 96-98 DOHC cobra engine for $100. I can't find these from any current FRPP seller. Perhaps they were discontinued? Anyway they are ceramic coated stainless steel in fair shape. Will they work and bolt up to my '96 GT exhaust?
Thanks,
Monty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine swap for my '96 GT