4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Not cats no mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Britdog15

Default Not cats no mufflers?

So i have been trying to fix my po308 and po430 code and i have done plugs wires and coils and checked the fuel injectors. my car is straight piped and has no mufflers but it has bbk cats. today we took the cats of and took the insides out and i was just wondering about back pressure? will having my my setup effect the back pressure of my car? thanks
Old 03-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Since "backpressure is a myth" as some ppl say you may not notice it bc you got the car that way but running an exhaust setup like that just makes the car super loud and at the same time super slow. Kinda like and overweight dog with a mean bark loud but sluggish. So yes it would affect your "backpressure"!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:10 AM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by Britdog15
So i have been trying to fix my po308 and po430 code and i have done plugs wires and coils and checked the fuel injectors. my car is straight piped and has no mufflers but it has bbk cats. today we took the cats of and took the insides out and i was just wondering about back pressure? will having my my setup effect the back pressure of my car? thanks
There is some debate about whether back pressure affects a Mustang's performance. I may not be sure about a N/A unit, but if you are S/C'ed, back pressure will NOT affect a cars performance ; think about it; the extra boost will force the air through the Throttle Body right on out the Exhaust, no problem. You could pack Golf ***** in the exhaust pipes, The'll shoot out like a scattergun!!

Last edited by piledriver; 03-07-2012 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Bogus and demented.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:19 AM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by Rockwell28
Since "backpressure is a myth" as some ppl say you may not notice it bc you got the car that way but running an exhaust setup like that just makes the car super loud and at the same time super slow. Kinda like and overweight dog with a mean bark loud but sluggish. So yes it would affect your "backpressure"!
TOO friggin' LOUD. In my opinion, I would be embarassed being seen, let alone heard, in a car like that. Now that being said, if the Mustang could back up it's loudness with say, 500 rwhp, than that's a different story. To each his own, my freind. By chance, are you a Twenty Somethig, or maybe early 30's??? Peace... and please no offense intended.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:23 AM
piledriver
Banned

My deepest gratitude for your service to our Country, the best Country in the World..The USA! Thank You, Sir. Me... (MOS2336 , (Ammo and Explosive Ordnance Disabling)... What was your MOS? The CL Scoring system was elliminated in 2002. You needed a score of 120 to qualify. I barely made it! I was only 33 years old when I left the Corps.; 15 year from a pension. That was way back in 1987. Boy, did I get a lotta crap for that!!! I knew a couple guys working with the FDNY, and they offered me a package I could not refuse.... $34, 500.00! RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. They also made me a SGT. I went on to work for them until 2009, nearly 23 years. I was able to retire at @ 55, I raised 3 kids, so it was my turn again So I bought a new ' Vert in 2003. See my Sig. I am computer chalenged, but I have about 30 pics on Facebook; PM your name and I will befriend you so you an see mine, and vice versa. No obligation of course, if you are uncomfortable doing this; once you are finished looking, you can de - friend me if you wish. She is one of of a kind, with over $18000.00 in mods. it's up to you. Nice talking with you, and once again... THANK YOU!!!!!

Last edited by piledriver; 03-07-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:21 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Let me guess, no O2 sensors? And with the cats gutted, O2 sensors wouldn't work right anyway. That is probably a big part of your codes.
Running what is basically straight pipes will affect your backpressure. Now whether that affects performance is what is questionable. I would say in most cases it does. Unless you have the computer programmed to run that way, it is probably all screwed up and running in either closed loop (or should that be open? It is too early to remember which is which) or limp mode.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Backpressure myth white papers:

Will the Backpressure Myth Ever Die?

Backpressure: The Myth and Why it's Wrong

OP, what plug wires did you use? The EDIS on your '98 is capable of a very powerful spark, and I have seen a number of brands of plug wires (ranging from el-cheapo's to overly hyped "flashy" brands) that will blown through the boots into the plug well--or "leak" HV somewhere along their run--and cause misfires.

Motorcraft or Magnecor are the only two I'd use. This document is from Magnecor, it is nonetheless quite neutral and factual...
Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Phaxtor
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Backpressure myth white papers:

Will the Backpressure Myth Ever Die?

Backpressure: The Myth and Why it's Wrong

OP, what plug wires did you use? The EDIS on your '98 is capable of a very powerful spark, and I have seen a number of brands of plug wires (ranging from el-cheapo's to overly hyped "flashy" brands) that will blown through the boots into the plug well--or "leak" HV somewhere along their run--and cause misfires.

Motorcraft or Magnecor are the only two I'd use. This document is from Magnecor, it is nonetheless quite neutral and factual...
Thanks for the articles.. they cleared up a lot for me and gave me a better understanding of exhaust :P
Old 03-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by piledriver
My deepest gratitude for your service to our Country, the best Country in the World..The USA! Thank You, Sir. Me... (MOS2336 , (Ammo and Explosive Ordnance Disabling)... What was your MOS? The CL Scoring system was elliminated in 2002. You needed a score of 120 to qualify. I barely made it! I was only 33 years old when I left the Corps.; 15 year from a pension. That was way back in 1987. Boy, did I get a lotta crap for that!!! I knew a couple guys working with the FDNY, and they offered me a package I could not refuse.... $34, 500.00! RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX. They also made me a SGT. I went on to work for them until 2009, nearly 23 years. I was able to retire at @ 55, I raised 3 kids, so it was my turn again So I bought a new ' Vert in 2003. See my Sig. I am computer chalenged, but I have about 30 pics on Facebook; PM your name and I will befriend you so you an see mine, and vice versa. No obligation of course, if you are uncomfortable doing this; once you are finished looking, you can de - friend me if you wish. She is one of of a kind, with over $18000.00 in mods. it's up to you. Nice talking with you, and once again... THANK YOU!!!!!
Much love and respect for that and thank you for your service also. My MOS was 88mike Heavy wheel Operator so our main thing on deployments was moving parts and ammo but what we did the majority of the time was convoy security so my main job on deployments was running guntrucks thats what Alot of the 88mikes were and still are doing. I joined up when I was 17 right before I graduated High School back in 1999 so my parents had to sign a release form since I wasn't 18 yet. But a long story short bc it is a long story 4 deplyoyments from 2001-2008 and I got out on medical separation 23march 2010 bc on my last(4th) deployment I got hurt up kinda bad in an ambush almost lost one leg and got shot in the other but they patched up one and was able to save the other I have a titanium rod in it permanetly with 4 screws in it now it was a femur break and it was far from a clean break it happened when i was dismounted it hapened from and RP that was shot in our general direction if you get my drift. But i loved serving and wish I still could but I get to spend max time with th family and kids now 10 years 7months served and i dont regret a day of it and I would do it again if I could. And I will send you my name on here it was nice talking with you too. And thank you again for your service!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:36 PM
piledriver
Banned

Much love and respect for that and thank you for your service also. My MOS was 88mike Heavy wheel Operator so our main thing on deployments was moving parts and ammo but what we did the majority of the time was convoy security so my main job on deployments was running guntrucks thats what Alot of the 88mikes were and still are doing. I joined up when I was 17 right before I graduated High School back in 1999 so my parents had to sign a release form since I wasn't 18 yet. But a long story short bc it is a long story 4 deplyoyments from 2001-2008 and I got out on medical separation 23march 2010 bc on my last(4th) deployment I got hurt up kinda bad in an ambush almost lost one leg and got shot in the other but they patched up one and was able to save the other I have a titanium rod in it permanetly with 4 screws in it now it was a femur break and it was far from a clean break it happened when i was dismounted it hapened from and RP that was shot in our general direction if you get my drift. But i loved serving and wish I still could but I get to spend max time with th family and kids now 10 years 7months served and i dont regret a day of it and I would do it again if I could. And I will send you my name on here it was nice talking with you too. And thank you again for your service!

You my freind are a TRUE hero!!!! Not some stupid *** singer, or some a-hole who can throw a football 70 yards. This Country needs to get its priorities straight. I would LOVE to be of service to our Country again, but it's too bad they won't take 58 year old geezers, even though I bet I could still pass the physical, easily. Maybe not the running part, but give me 60 days to train as a runner, and I'm sure I'd make it. I am sorry to hear about your injuries; but at least you made it home. Enjoy your Family; you will find out later in life that Family is all that's really worth living for; they NEED you, bro! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Not cats no mufflers?