4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Leaking Roof

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Default Leaking Roof

I bought an 01 GT awhile ago that had an aftermarket sunroof installed by the original owner. Honestly I hate sunroofs because of potential leaking issues and if I wanted an open top I would have gotten a convertible... but the car was extremely well taken care of and was in perfect condition, so it was a much better deal than the other stangs in my area. Well just now it's started leaking a little, but only in one spot. I put some rtv sealant to cover up a small little crack where it seems to be the ONLY place the water can get to.

My question is, do you guys think it's worth living with? Or should I try to sell it and get another stang? Because I've read that eventually those rubber seals will crack and "good luck fixing that".
Old 03-20-2012, 11:05 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

So far looks like I got a guy willing to accept a trade in for my car, cash+my GT for a 99 Cobra. Problem with the Cobra is that he said if it sits for too long it dies easily and needs to be jumped (bad battery). but somehow I got the feeling it's not the battery and something else because it's an easy thing to replace
Old 03-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NewEdgeStang00
So far looks like I got a guy willing to accept a trade in for my car, cash+my GT for a 99 Cobra. Problem with the Cobra is that he said if it sits for too long it dies easily and needs to be jumped (bad battery). but somehow I got the feeling it's not the battery and something else because it's an easy thing to replace
Does the Cobra have an aftermarket stereo?

I've seen time and time again people not installing them correctly. Maybe the amp (if it has one) is always on, draining the battery.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:01 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Nope stock stereo, everything stock except the cai
Old 03-20-2012, 03:45 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

How long is he considering long. Like couple of hours, days, weeks? It sound like either a battery or an alternator. But seems most people would replace those to fix the problem before trying to sell.

This could be the problem if u ever go to see the car look into the cigarette lighters and see if anything metal fell into it. That can cause a constant electric flow cause the same outcome of leaving your lights on all night.

Last edited by EddyG; 03-20-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:37 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EddyG
How long is he considering long. Like couple of hours, days, weeks? It sound like either a battery or an alternator. But seems most people would replace those to fix the problem before trying to sell.

This could be the problem if u ever go to see the car look into the cigarette lighters and see if anything metal fell into it. That can cause a constant electric flow cause the same outcome of leaving your lights on all night.
Hmm very interesting i'll check that.

Long being about a week. If it's battery or alternator i'm fine with either of those, cheap fix. however I skeptical that it's something more serious than that. The weather has been terrible here (been storming past 2 days and will continue for the next 3..) so I haven't been able to fully inspect yet.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:40 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Long being about a week. If it's battery or alternator i'm fine with either of those, cheap fix. however I skeptical that it's something more serious than that. The weather has been terrible here (been storming past 2 days and will continue for the next 3..) so I haven't been able to fully inspect yet.
Yea. Before I baught it I would go get it tested. Like the alterntor and battery. Then go from there.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Fords are actually known for doing this though. Many people have this problem. After the car sitting for a week the battery dies and needs to be re charged. There is a simple solution if that is the problem. Its a little devise at auto zone that goes over your battery terminal. Called a battery disconnect switch. Just when you know your not going to use the car for over 3 days just flip the switch to off and don't worry about it.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EddyG
Fords are actually known for doing this though. Many people have this problem. After the car sitting for a week the battery dies and needs to be re charged. There is a simple solution if that is the problem. Its a little devise at auto zone that goes over your battery terminal. Called a battery disconnect switch. Just when you know your not going to use the car for over 3 days just flip the switch to off and don't worry about it.
Wouldn't that also lose radio presets, clock setting and SES codes?

If you're gonna go that route, just buy a battery tender.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 AM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

Or have the guy fix the problem before you buy it. No sense in buying a car just to have another headache.

Quick Reply: Leaking Roof