4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

aftermarket steering wheels

Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Default aftermarket steering wheels

Has anyone installed a MOMO or Sparco wheel, or something of that nature, without an airbag? If so what did you do about your local state laws in order to get it certified that you have NO airbag?

Please keep the comments of "Why would you want to get rid of your airbag dumb ****?!" to yourselves.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:29 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

These threads are always fun. the air bag ****'s always come out.
I have a Sparco wheel I don't have inspections in MI so I have no certification or worries
Old 03-20-2012, 05:40 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackMage
Has anyone installed a MOMO or Sparco wheel, or something of that nature, without an airbag? If so what did you do about your local state laws in order to get it certified that you have NO airbag?

Please keep the comments of "Why would you want to get rid of your airbag dumb ****?!" to yourselves.
I'll keep it to myself, but as a smart idea - call your insurance company and tell them you did it. Most will say that modifcation qualifies the car for 'off road use only' and you won't be covered driving on the street. Get pulled over and suddenly you are up against jail time for insurance fraud and if you hit someone/something, it's all coming out of your pocket.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:55 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Whatever...
The only reason I don't have a nice aftermarket steering wheel is because I couldn't live without my cruise control. I had pondered a FR500 wheel, but they are not as easy to find these days.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:00 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

cliffy has a different wheel..
Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 PM
65mechanic
2nd Gear Member

I was actually just considering an aftermarket steering wheel earlier today...until i realized that yes..I would have no cruise control. I looked on american muscle and a couple guys did up the steering wheel kits real nice, putting covers on the column for fit and finish.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kugzgt
cliffy has a different wheel..
And he has his cruise control. He rewired the controls to the left of his shifter on the dash.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I also still have Cruise. I rewired it and ran it out the storage bin under my radio. Some day I will do a nice install like cliffs but havn't got around to it. I have mine so I can unplug it unless I need it

Old 03-20-2012, 10:45 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here's my setup, a Grant 714 mahogany wheel, on a MOMO 4525 hub drilled to accept the Grant 5-screw mount--the cruise control was redirected to the three rocker switches in the custom billet panel seen to the left of the shifter:

Here's another shot of the wheel, The cover for the steering column surround is the bottom of a 6" wedding cake pan from Walmart, reshaped to have a flat across the bottom:

The cruise control is a clone of the OEM circuit which switches direct connections to +12V and ground to enable/disable the CC, and three resistances switched to ground that signal the CC module to SET/COAST/RESUME:

The switches can be purchased from Minute Man Electronics--the panel was custom made from 1-1/4" x 1/16" aluminum flat stock, from Ace Hardware.

The airbag is tricked by placing a 2.3Ω resistance (not a standard value, I used two 1/4W 4.7Ω resistors in parallel) across the squib firing wires (gray/orange and gray/white) in the harness connector leading to the steering column clockspring. The airbag module tests for an intact squib by passing a fixed low-current signal (low enough to not detonate the airbag) through the squib. It expects to see a 2.3Ω resistance (the squib's resistance), if it does not a DTC is thrown. In a crash the resistors will rapidly blow with a tiny "poof", but that would be the least of your worries.

I made a carbon brush holder of a 3/8"-16 nylon bolt to pass the horn ground through to the MOMO hub slip ring and to the horn button.

Piece of cake...

Last edited by cliffyk; 10-17-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: typos...
Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Here's my setup, a Grant 714 mahogany wheel, on a MOMO 4525 hub drilled to accept the Grant 5-screw mount--the cruise control was redirected to the three rocker switches in the custom billet panel seen to the left rear of the shifter:

Here's another shot of the wheel, The cover for the steering column surround is the bottom of a 6" wedding cake pan from Walmart, reshaped to have a flat across the bottom:

The cruise control is a clone of the OEM circuit which switches direct connections to +12V and ground to enable/disable the CC, and three resistances switched to ground that signal the CC module to SET/COAST/RESUME:

The switches can be purchased from Minute Man Electronics--the panel was custom made from 1-1/4" x 1/16" aluminum flat stock, from Ace Hardware.

The airbag is tricked by placing a 2.3Ω resistance (not a standard value, I used two 1/4W 4.7Ω resistors in series) across the squib firing wires (gray/orange and gray/white) in the harness connector leading to the steering column clockspring. The airbag module tests for an intact squib by passing a fixed low-current signal (low enough to not detonate the airbag) through the squib. It expects to see a 2.3Ω resistance (the squib's resistance), if it does not a DTC is thrown. In a crash the resistors will rapidly blow with a tiny "poof", but that would be the least of your worries.

I made a carbon brush holder of a 3/8"-16 nylon bolt to pas the horn ground through to the MOMO hub slip ring and to the horn button.

Piece of cake...
This /\ is why cliffy is awesome. Thanks for the great info.

I kinda expected more hate and flaming, this forum must be getting soft.. haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: aftermarket steering wheels