4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

03 gt

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Bryan Morales

Default 03 gt

i seem to have a problem with my gt as of a couple days ago. whenever i step on the accelerator the cars skips. as is misfiring but i connected a scan tool and no codes came up. i t-pinned the tps to an oscillator and it shows all good. the spark plugs are good because the car only has 98k miles on it, but im gonna replace them anyways. monday im goin to check the coils too. if anyone can help, its much appreciated.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:59 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If they are the original plugs then at 98k miles they are ready to be changed (the service interval is 100k). Also check the boots on the COPs to see if they are burnt smelling, or hardened or show signs of arcing--actually at 98k miles I'd change them anyway. You can buy them at most FLAPS for $5 to $6, or from this online source for $3 a pop, however with shipping they are $40 so weigh your options.

When the COPs begin discharging through the boots they also start dumping more of their charge at each firing, this will cause the COPs to overheat and burn-out.

With my COP Tester/Destroyer (aka COPTesto-The Destructor) I can burn out an OEM COP with 15 to 20 rapid fire full discharges:

Here is the tester with an Accel COP under test (it uses a 42A 12V supply from an IBM mainframe, no shortage of power):

Here's a video of an Accel COP being tested...