4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

gots me a few random questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:17 PM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

Default gots me a few random questions

Converted Chevy guy here. So from what I gather the 5.4l is essentially a drop in swap. Just move the heads and intake over and get it dyno tuned and ride from what I've understood 50+ HP stronger. My first question is would it be really worth it for a 2v and would a 4v swap work on the 5.4 also. I know ill get a few " that's what the search buttons for" posts. I do all my interneting from a smart phone and the search feature just doesn't work for me. Then I move to what is the best vehicle to pull the 5.4 from other than the lowest mileage vehicle I can. I eventually want to supercharge it and would rather over build the bottom end for my application for longevity sake. If I was building a small block Chevy I'd be good to go. Never really got into fords until I run across this mustang. An help is appreciated. I plan to build the motor myself and install next spring. When my finances will allow for the dyno tune. Ill also be Modding the suspension and possibly throwing a t56 in also.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:26 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Im sure some will be along to answer your question, as I cannot. But I can say welcome to MF!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:44 AM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

Thanks. Just trying to get some things straight in my head so I know how to plan this build out.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:24 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I would stay with a 4.6 4v over a 5.4, im not sure but i dont think 4.6 4v heads will work on a 5.4
Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 AM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

Tis why I'm asking, to find out what works brother. End result I want to see 450-550hp. I want the strongest bottom end I can get. While I want to supercharge Ill also want a nitrous kit for the strip. But reliability is the most important thing. As stated this will be a daily driver. Nby the way good looking rig uberstang. I like those window scoops.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 AM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

No opinions on this one?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:19 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

just keep the 2v 4.6 and build the bottom end, that way you can boost the hell of it. There's a sticky on how to build a s/c kit for $1500, but that needs to change to about 2k built. Go to the boost juice sub section. Even if you were to get a 5.4 ( most likely out of a truck) you'd still have to build the bottom end anyways. I wouldn't bother with too many bolts on, especially if you plan s/cing it down the line. Just my two cents
Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Bay_Area_Boy
1st Gear Member

wasnt the cobra R motor a 5.4 4v.

try this https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...swap-faqs.html
Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 PM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

Acceptable answers all. Crash would not it be better to go 4v and s/c? I understand building the bottom end but not parts. I hear quite a bit about teksid blocks and I've even hears of Romeo pi. Swaps? Could y'all please enlighten me? If it was an older camaro I'd simply throw a scat forged crank into a 4 bolt main block with some forge pistons and I beam rods with some clevite 77 bearings and call the bottom end done. With fords I am utterly clueless.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by Bay_Area_Boy
wasnt the cobra R motor a 5.4 4v.

try this https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...swap-faqs.html
Originally Posted by phoenixfriend84
Acceptable answers all. Crash would not it be better to go 4v and s/c? I understand building the bottom end but not parts. I hear quite a bit about teksid blocks and I've even hears of Romeo pi. Swaps? Could y'all please enlighten me? If it was an older camaro I'd simply throw a scat forged crank into a 4 bolt main block with some forge pistons and I beam rods with some clevite 77 bearings and call the bottom end done. With fords I am utterly clueless.
yes, the Cobra R was a 5.4l. Not sure if that was a dedicated cobra motor or not.

Well, use the search button for a mark viii ( not sure if that's 100% correct) swap. It's a 4v out of Lincoln that is basically a 96-98 cobra motor, those are very cheap 4v swaps. But then I would build the bottom end on that for boost. You would still need similar parts to build the bottom end of that anyways.

Quick Reply: gots me a few random questions