4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pro Charger or KB

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Couldn't have said it any better.. BTW bad a** vid my man!
Thank you. This is a kinda old video. Since this video I've gone to an off road x-pipe , got a BBK 78mm throttle body / plenum and forged my block. Not to mention it's now aluminium and a 5.0 . This video was on a conservative tune. I was making 353hp/383rtq. Now with this tune coming up I'm pulling out all the stops because..... I can!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:05 AM
crash
BrandofPoop

I don't have either but from a budget stand point the centri blower is far cheaper to build where a kb would be more expensive, but let me tell you, type in bad *** cobra on you tube and that black one sounds like pure sex. I'm sure a lot of us have seen this video
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 AM
grahamgt

Originally Posted by Dragonus18
The only problem with the KB is trying to keep the tires from breaking loose. With a procharger the power is made up high which promotes traction because it doesn't come on until about 2500-3000rpms. With a KB your power is low to mid RPM range which can indeed make a fun street car but unless your rear end is built you're going to break something sooner than later because your rear isn't built. The other thing is that on the top end it doesn't make much power. On a centri blower that's not the case. I don't have to build my rear end because I'm not going to be hardly straining it when I launch and when I'm racing the top end from the centri blower is going to help out a lot. The other thing is blower whine. I don't have anything against a KB but I don't like the way the blower whines. It sounds like a pig getting slaughtered to me but I know to someone else it must sound like a beautiful melody to their ears. You can see how a centri blower acts by the video I posted below. I have some Nitto 555R's on and all they do is chirp and I'm making 383rwtq at the tire. Given this video is a little dated because I've had this blower on a while it can show you how centri blowers act at the drag strip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIUiH...IcguNEieYwE-g=
Damn now i dont know what i want to get
Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

I daily drive my Kb and I don't rip my tires lose driving around everywhere..... I rip them loose when I want them loose. You guys make it sound like breaking tires is uncontrollable with a Kb lol
Old 04-03-2012, 09:07 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I agree the PD blowers make power sooner and centri up high... so pick what you want to fit your needs and budget..

But the idea a PD blower stops making power up high is just wrong. It's not like power suddenly falls off at 4500 RPM. The power is still there. And you won't break your rear just BC of the blower choice.

Too much opinion trying to be passed off as fast in this thread.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

::In response to the 2 above posts::

I'm not saying that a KB is uncontrollable. What I am saying is that the power is there basically immediately and that temptation is harder to resist IMO when you know that by pressing the throttle a little more your stang is gonna take off and if you don't have softer tires like some drag radials than you WILL LOOSE CONTROL if you step on it and anyone who has a blower with normal street tires can tell you that. I know when I hear my centri blower whining when I'm at 2500rpms it makes me wanna nail it so I can only imagine what it must do to someone who has a KB that makes power in the low-mid rpm range which is where daily driving tends to take place and why when Ford supercharges a gas powered truck they always choose a roots/twinscrew type blower so that their trucks can tow better and the benefit of low end torque. In a diesel truck it's different because the diesel engine makes a ton more torque than a gas powered engine to begin with so a turbo is chosen to help out with their high end problem. As far as ripping your rear end goes, if you have tires that actually hook and don't break loose when you race at the drag strip from a dig than I think it's common knowledge unless I'm mistaken that your rear end will take much more of a beating than with a centri blower that doesn't come on until later. I'm going to make a video of my centri blower car and though I won't nail it because I have stock tires on I will show you when the boost comes on and than you can be the judge yourself.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Oh, to PD blowers make too much power to handle??? (Fun sarcasm, that's all)

Street tires will spin... and save your rear.

I drive a PD blower on street tires everyday and don't even think about the rear failing on me. If you beat a car beyond what it can take, it will break no matter what blower is forcing the air in. It's all about driving like a mature adult and not a jackwagon.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

the guy(nitrus guy) in this link had some ideas about centri's and drag racing then when a bunch of centri guys tuned in and actually showed their 60ft times at the track the hard numbers(proof) kinda went against his theories. Yea its fine to have power down low but who races or crosses the line in the low rpms anyway and how long does one stay in the rpms? is the benefit enough to spen close to 2grand more? I guess thats up to the person. http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...oot-times.html

And have you noticed how those new stangs shine with the centri in comparison. I know they have a higher redline so that also helps with the centri blower but here are a few examples in this link http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...od-6-5psi.html

And the fact still remains that you can pick up a New centri blower and blower cams and come out alot cheaper($1000+ cheaper) in parts than the KB intercooled kit.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Example of what im talking abt from a different thread here : or you could go the centri route plenty of power potential even with the entry level blowers but for Alot less than the inercooled kb setup like the guy in the link i posted in post #17. a vortech centri blower kit with a set of blower cams would still be about $1000 less in parts than the intercooled kb kit. example V1 S trim kit/complete kit $3,010 and mhs1 blower cams $595 thats $3605 total there in parts or you could go with hp292 cams for $450 and that would be $3460 total vs $4,999 for the complete intercooled kb kit. So there is a Possible as much as a $1,539 total cost savings in comparison and the budget one would include cams. Just a thought!!

And Im not trying to start a whole centri vs pd argument either OP no matter what type of blower you decide to go with I dont win or lose anything just dropped another option on you that could save you a possible $1500+ bucks thats money in or out of your pocket not mine ya digg?!! take care
Old 04-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

I paid 3200 for my ic Kb and that included everything minus the pump (because I already had from my previous blowers) when it comes to the money issue they can be had pretty f'n close in price its all about opinion and your style of driving..... I sold my old procharger setup for only $100 less than my Kb lol, the procharger I'd what funded the Kb

Quick Reply: Pro Charger or KB