4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Brakes. Need input on what to get for the best price?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 05:14 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Blood.... what you propose is fine, but must remember that your brakes are ONLY as good as the tires you run. After all, improved brakes are really only going to be an improvement when the components get hot. If your tires don't hold the ground well, improved brakes will not be much good, no matter HOW much you spend or upgrade.

What make/model/size of tire are you currently running?

Jazzer
This is 110% true, great brakes and crappy tires are likely far more dangerous than crappy brakes and great tires...
Old 04-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Blood.... the exact model of tire will be helpful here, but if they are not a performance tire, the upgrade in brakes will not be of any use until you run tires more suited to your needs. Running 4:10's with upwards of probably 450 peak HP and less than VERY high performance tires is a recipe for disaster, IMO

Go with my Brakes Upgrade and save your money for better tires. Forgo the looks of cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors and run PROPER TIRES. Not to pick on you, but cannot believe how many people I see running high HP/T and tires NOT up to the task If you have a tire budget of LESS than $1K (I don't know the wheel size you run, so cannot narrow it down any further), you are not likely going to get tires suited for your needs.

FWIW... running a set of 555's is not on my list of "appropriate" tires for you!

Jazzer
Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

Blood.... the exact model of tire will be helpful here, but if they are not a performance tire, the upgrade in brakes will not be of any use until you run tires more suited to your needs. Running 4:10's with upwards of probably 450 peak HP and less than VERY high performance tires is a recipe for disaster, IMO

Go with my Brakes Upgrade and save your money for better tires. Forgo the looks of cross-drilled and/or slotted rotors and run PROPER TIRES. Not to pick on you, but cannot believe how many people I see running high HP/T and tires NOT up to the task If you have a tire budget of LESS than $1K (I don't know the wheel size you run, so cannot narrow it down any further), you are not likely going to get tires suited for your needs.

FWIW... running a set of 555's is not on my list of "appropriate" tires for you!

Jazzer

Well then whats some tires you advse me of? My tires are performance tires, I just dont know the exact model...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1&autoModClar=

Thats the tires I hae right now, 245 front 275 in the rear. Theyre ultra high performance. Just really a hard tire and dont stick great. Theyre extremely expensive.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:27 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

One of the best mods I have done to my convertible was to install a brand new Mach I front brakes setup.

They are way, way better than the stock GT setup. It wasn't like, "I think I can tell the difference...", it was like, "Whoa, man!". Now I can stop on a dime and give you 9cents change.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
One of the best mods I have done to my convertible was to install a brand new Mach I front brakes setup.

They are way, way better than the stock GT setup. It wasn't like, "I think I can tell the difference...", it was like, "Whoa, man!". Now I can stop on a dime and give you 9cents change.
I already have a mach 1 But other than that! prob 6-8 piston calipers would be an improvement if I could do that.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

Also Jazzer, what size tire do you recommend for an 04 mach 1 like mine? I am curious what I should get... I was considering going to a 295 in the rear. NT555 295/45/r18... and a 245/45/r18 in the front.... Does that sound bad or good?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Blood... your link doesn't work, but appears to be Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

That tire is hard as a rock and you are not going to get any dry grip in those puppies. Without better dry grip, an upgrade of brakes are just not going to do you any good from a performance standpoint

So, you don't 1/4 mile your car, but you need grip on the street? You are in TX, so what kind of extreme weather do you get in your area. Last time I checked, you don't get a whole lot of snowfall (maybe in some mountains, if any), but what about heavy rain quite often. What I am looking find out, is what kind of tire will work for you, as the ones you have don't

Tires are the single most important item keeping your car under control, next to the driver. These are priority #1 over ALL other performance mods and vastly more important (based on your stated needs thus far) than replacement of functioning pads/rotors.

Nice brakes are very important for control/reduction of speed, but are only as good as your tires. After all, without grip of the road, your brakes cannot slow you down!

Jazzer
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Nice brakes are very important for control/reduction of speed, but are only as good as your tires. After all, without grip of the road, your brakes cannot slow you down!
If Jazzer was in the WWE, this would be his tag line
Old 04-16-2012, 08:45 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Im running the same brakes you have on ur mach 1, with autozone ceramic pads and ive never had problems
Old 04-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

I need a tire that's good all around. I am in the military and I change duty stations. So I can go from Texas to NC... or from NC to cali over night. I would just like to have a tire that is good in a street race and good for wear and tear. I am leaning towards the G-Force from bfg. But I dont have the money at all to waste on tires anytime, soon so I am gonna have to stick with these. The brakes were a must, they were seriously metal on metal cutting my rotors. I ended up paying 520 for rotors and pads.... and shipping I am sure somewhere in there. Feel hurt but whatever, I know its a good improvement.