4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

K-member/Sub frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
timothyphicks02

ok so they are both k frames. that solves it. the shop is calling the bottom one sub frame and confusing me. lol and yeah shipping is a pain in the a$$ here. no where ships here really. I have to order parts to my wifes parents house and have them ship to me. the aftermarket is about 20lbs lighter. but I prefer stock unless it needs to be replaced for supporting other upgrades. if it isnt broke (or going to break because of something you installing) dont fix it.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

A couple things you need to consider here, Tim...

The QA1 "K" is a very light-weight piece and focused on 1/4 mile use and NOT hard cornering use. If you want to open-track, AX or just hit hard corners in your car, the QA1 is not for you. Secondly, you have to address the issue of how the springs support the car. The OEM "K" has the upper spring perch built into it. to run an aftermarket "K", QA1 or any other, one typically installs coil-over springs. One can install an upper spring perch, I think UPR sells one, but would need to run the OEM "A" arms or get some spring cups for tubular "A" arms. IMO, running an aftermarket "K" and running OEM "A" arms, doesn't make any sense.

Timmy... what are the ULTIMATE goals for your car here?

Jazzer
Old 04-10-2012, 10:24 PM
timothyphicks02

Well the main problem Im having is getting anything shipped here. and I havnt been able to find a stock K frame here either. Id much prefer the stock one to the aftermarket. Im willing to pay the shipping but finding someone willing to send it has been a pita.

but my goals are mainly daily use with some drag strip here and there. my wife likes to drive the car as well so... nothing too drastic.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:30 PM
timothyphicks02

I forgot to mention Im not yet able to post in the WTB section yet. when I can I will.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:11 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Tim give me all your shipping information and I'll see if I can box it up and get an estimate on shipping cost. PM me, I'm very busy with work this week but I should be able to check it out this weekend.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 AM
timothyphicks02

ok email sent. I guess there is no PM option on this forum? anyway thanks for willing to go through the hassle.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 PM
madjimmax
1st Gear Member

I would definitely go with the aftermarket K frame, it was one of the best things that I've done to my car. The handling and the weight savings is the main reason that i did it, but it really makes everything so much easier to work on because you have a lot more room to reach everything.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 PM
timothyphicks02

cool. what one did you go with. ive looked at steeda, qa1, PA, and one other one I cant remember it was 3 letter and had a U in it lol. easier to work on and stiff is great but I need to get the car on the road asap. som money is an issue atm. I saw one for $600 that seemed real nice for daily driving and some track use but thats a bit steep at the moment. if it were next month itd be fine but...
Old 04-12-2012, 06:01 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Timothy.... as mentioned in my earlier post, you don't want just ANY "K" for your ride. You need to get one that suites your needs, as some are stronger than others. I realize that money is an issue, but if you buy the incorrect part for your needs, you will be in a whole lot worse shape if it fails on you
Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 AM
madjimmax
1st Gear Member

I went with Maximum Motorsports

Quick Reply: K-member/Sub frame