4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

to MAC or not to MAC

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:42 PM
robvandam

Default to MAC or not to MAC

I am new to this forum but have been on the past few weeks researching, reading, cross referencing, etc. I've found some great info on here!

Question is, I have a MAC prochamber and MAC cat back system installed and I want to get the headers and install them before May. I want the best system for performance though. So in the opinion of all you motor heads out there, should I stay with a full MAC setup or is there a better performing system out there? The future of my car has it supercharged so I want to start building to support that.

Also on MAC systems the prochamber replaces the cats right?

Thanks,
Rob
Old 04-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

There are better systems for performance, however the difference in those systems and the MAC system still isnt a whole lot. Exhaust simply doesn't do a whole lot for our cars outside of a good O/R mid pipe. Which is still only worth ~10RWHP N/A and a little more boosted. Long Tubes dont even start giving you worthwhile power until your around 600 horsepower. So in the end if you totally changed your entire exhaust system you wouldnt gain much but youd have to pay quite a bit. Some of the nicer Borla systems and such are $500+ just for the catbacks. They are really nice quality, fitment and power but pricey. If you want headers with the best performance expect to shell out ~$1500 for brands such as Hooker, Kooks, American Racing Headers, etc.

In the end I think your money is better spent elsewhere if you want to spend it efficiently in terms of power. MAC exhaust is great bang for the buck. It sounds as good as any exhaust out there but is dirt cheap. Fitment and quality isnt quite as good as the high dollar systems but I love my MAC exhaust regardless. It sounds so nasty.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:37 AM
robvandam

Thanks, I agree! I love the sound of this system. I think ill stick with it then. My goal is 400 rwhp. Now that I finally have the place and the funds for it, its gonna be a lot of fun.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:13 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Originally Posted by robvandam
Thanks, I agree! I love the sound of this system. I think ill stick with it then. My goal is 400 rwhp. Now that I finally have the place and the funds for it, its gonna be a lot of fun.
The pro chamber has such a nice sound. What are your plans for your 400rwhp goal?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:09 PM
robvandam

400 rwhp is the goal. Im still looking through my options but so far I figure headers, to complete the full exhaust, PI head swap, Super charger and Chipped/Tuned. I also was looking at a plenum, TB, underdrive pulleys for alternator and water pump, and thats about where I stand. From what I read the 4.6L 2v and drive train should be able to handle those mods. I was also thinking about modding the internals but idk yet...

Any suggestions?

Also I am going to upgrade the brakes and suspension to support the engine mods.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:32 PM
JeremyB
1st Gear Member

when you get the supercharger, better get a conservative tune or you will be putting a new motor in. Any slight bit of detonation and your motor will be done
Old 04-13-2012, 12:30 AM
robvandam

Thanks. What is detonation exactly? Ive heard the term but not sure what it is. Im definitely going to go easy on boost with this thing... My target is at least 45-50 HP from the supercharger. Is that in the right ballpark for a low boost SC?
Old 04-13-2012, 02:20 AM
Dilys95

There are better systems for performance
Old 04-13-2012, 11:08 AM
robvandam

Originally Posted by Dilys95
There are better systems for performance
What other systems do you suggest?

Also, I was talking to a buddy of mine who told me that after 1999 Ford put the whole PI setup in the mustangs already. So if you have a 99-04 mustang there is no need to upgrade to PI heads. Does anyone know this to be true?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Originally Posted by robvandam
What other systems do you suggest?

Also, I was talking to a buddy of mine who told me that after 1999 Ford put the whole PI setup in the mustangs already. So if you have a 99-04 mustang there is no need to upgrade to PI heads. Does anyone know this to be true?
Yes 99-04 are PI heads. What is your budget for your build? MAC is decent for the money and a great "starter" exhaust...kinda like BBK. Just my .02

Quick Reply: to MAC or not to MAC