4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mustang GT 2003

Old 04-17-2012, 09:18 PM
hiTmanhiT

Default Mustang GT 2003

Hey guys!
Just recently bought myself a 2003 Ford Mustang GT with 122k miles on it.
It is working just fine, but got some small issues that I was hoping you maybe could help me out with.

1: Every time I start the car, it seems to be running dashboard diagnostics. Every gauge goes from bottom to top like 2 times before it shows the real-time indications. What could the issue be here? Could something be failing?

2: It's got the original mach speakers in it, but not the original radio/stereo(it seems to be some cheap Jensen-stereo)
But the sound in the speakers are REALLY crappy. It is completley without any bass to it. I got a friend with the same car, but the original stereo, and it sounds ALOT better than mine.
Could it just be that the stereo is bad? I got sound coming from all the speakers, but it seems to be lacking bass completley.

3. Sometimes when I start it when the engine is still warm, for example if I just stop at a gas station or store, I have to crank it for about 3-4 seconds until it goes up to regular idle rpm. What could this be caused by?

Also, I am all new to cars, especially Mustangs, so I do not really know alot about them.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hiTmanhiT

3. Sometimes when I start it when the engine is still warm, for example if I just stop at a gas station or store, I have to crank it for about 3-4 seconds until it goes up to regular idle rpm. What could this be caused by?
** In before Cliffyk **

Does the idle run low RPM and run rough at times? Replace your IAC Valve.

The IAC Value for your year Mustang is approx $80 @ O'Reilly's Auto.

As for your Mach460 issue... You could have a blown amp or some chimpanzee installed your radio. Check to see if the stock harness is still in tact. I also have the stock radio for sale in perfect condition. $50
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

1. Check the battery because I believe the gauges sweep when the battery is low

2. Your friend could have Mach 1000, but my stereo had pretty much no bass before I put a sub in it, the sound quality is great tho so idk what it could be
Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 PM
JeremyB
1st Gear Member

My stereo had only highs when I first got it, had pretty good quality, just no bass, ended up being the rear amps were blown which controls the lows, you can get a pair on ebay for around $80 if you have some patience. To check that the amp is blown, check for voltage to the amp first. If it isn't there, then you have a wiring problem. If it is, most likely the amp is blown. I have also heard where the universal harness plugs into the stock wiring harness, the pins can get bent and not go in correctly, something to check out.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:25 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by hiTmanhiT
Hey guys!
Just recently bought myself a 2003 Ford Mustang GT with 122k miles on it.
It is working just fine, but got some small issues that I was hoping you maybe could help me out with.

1: Every time I start the car, it seems to be running dashboard diagnostics. Every gauge goes from bottom to top like 2 times before it shows the real-time indications. What could the issue be here? Could something be failing?
It could well be a bad battery as suggested above, check the battery voltage at the connectors (not the battery posts) while cranking the engine; it should not drop below 10.5V, if it does the battery is not fully charged or is failing.

However also check fuse #21, 5A, in the central junction box (under the dash). This fuse supplies hot-at-all-times power to the cluster, if it is blown or not there, the gauges will sweep as you described on start-up. Apparently some feel it fashionable to pull this fuse so that the gauges will sweep--"like a Honda" or some such drivel someone once said.

2: It's got the original mach speakers in it, but not the original radio/stereo(it seems to be some cheap Jensen-stereo)
But the sound in the speakers are REALLY crappy. It is completley without any bass to it. I got a friend with the same car, but the original stereo, and it sounds ALOT better than mine.
Could it just be that the stereo is bad? I got sound coming from all the speakers, but it seems to be lacking bass completley.
There are a multitude of possible causes for this, ranging from poor installation to a defective component. Your best bet is to dig into it yourself, or find a good automotive audio shop.

If "crank it for about 3-4 seconds until it goes up to regular idle rpm" means that after a short stop, with the engine hot, you have to crank the engine for 3-4 seconds before it starts, then this is a somewhat common issue especially in hotter climes--like here in Florida.

I believe it to be caused by heat soak warming the fuel in the rails and causing what used to be called a "vapour lock" type situation. The only fix I have found is to richen the commanded high ECT AFR in the tune's Cranking A/F ratio function:

You can see here (the stock tune values are in the right-hand columns) I richened the AFR at high coolant temps from 13:82:1 to 13.20:1. I have used change on a half-dozen GTs to pretty much eliminate the hot start issue.

Also, I am all new to cars, especially Mustangs, so I do not really know alot about them.

Thanks in advance for all your help!