4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

lug nut of doom!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Bjiscuit

Default lug nut of doom!

As the title says, i have an evil lug nut lol, i got my new lug nuts today with my aftermarket TB spacer, and i got to the front passengers side, and one lug nut barely loosened and now it just spins and wont tighten or loosen, and i have noooo clue how to fix it at all =/
Old 04-20-2012, 09:13 PM
JeremyB
1st Gear Member

Need to pry on it with something as you loosen it, and then be prepared to have to change that stud most likely
Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Bjiscuit

eeehhh?!?!? change the stud O.o please explain on how one does this? also, will it be safe-ish to drive as is? or completely hazardous to me health

(Oh hey, your from my home state, il be back home may 18-28)
Old 04-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

If you have access to a impact gun that can zip it off applying pressure behind stud with prybar (but be careful of ABS ring not to damage or pry against it)
Old 04-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bjiscuit
eeehhh?!?!? change the stud O.o please explain on how one does this? also, will it be safe-ish to drive as is? or completely hazardous to me health

(Oh hey, your from my home state, il be back home may 18-28)
Changing the stud is kinda a pain because of the ABS ring and clearance but you can sneak the lug stud in .

How too in a short
take off wheel
take off caliper.(2 bolts)
remove pads (slide out)
take off caliper bracket.( 2 bolt back side)
side off rotor.
tap out stud.
slide new stud in (stack up about 5-8 washer or use a big nut and tighten lug nut on new stud and it will suck it in)

heres a vid that may help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy9t1mU0lG0&feature=fvsr

reverse process

Last edited by Repzard; 04-21-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:11 AM
Bjiscuit

yeah i watched that video earlier, where can i get a new stud? there's an O'Reily's near by so i was going to try them, and on removing the lug nut, would drilling it out work?
Old 04-21-2012, 12:46 PM
JeremyB
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bjiscuit
yeah i watched that video earlier, where can i get a new stud? there's an O'Reily's near by so i was going to try them, and on removing the lug nut, would drilling it out work?
it would but would take forever, it's easier to just put a screwdriver or something behind it while you turn it off, after it gets started off, it should come on off
Old 04-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Bjiscuit

just tried applying pressure to it from all angles, even used a impact gun on the SOAB but no good, didnt even loosen a little, just loads of spinning, looks like its drilling time, if you guys have any more advice i recomend sending a message to my phone, otherwise i wont get it till i'm done, thanks for the help though.

Cell: 580-465-4709
Ethan~
Old 04-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Bjiscuit

wel;l drilling failed and i ended up fudbar'ing the lug nut, and now im stuck, way to go and **** everything up me. woo --,-- guess its mechanic time, and he'l prolly tell me to gtfo

Edit: I appoloize for said drama queen moment lol. went to lowes got new drill bits and it worked loads better and i fixed it all yay

Last edited by Bjiscuit; 04-22-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:05 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

I was going to suggest a nut splitter at that point, but if you got it great too. Sometimes I am glad I don't have ABS on my car

Quick Reply: lug nut of doom!