4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

having no catalytic convertors increase horsepower?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:35 PM
02 SILVER BULLITT

Default having no catalytic convertors increase horsepower?

i was wondering if not having catalytic convertors would give you any more horsepower?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Bjiscuit

i too seek an answer to this, my 'stang does not have any, previous owner removed them, he claimed that it added some but i'm not sure, what i am sure is that my check engine light is forever on now lol
Old 04-20-2012, 09:47 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

No, it just makes more noise and stinks¹.

Though I have never done it with a GT, we ran back-to-back dyno runs on my supercharged '92 Miata some years back. With a Jackson Racing 4-2-1 header, and a "test pipe" and the cheapest catalytic converter we could get at what was then Discount Auto Parts, there was no, repeat NO, discernible difference in engine output--all the way to 8000 rpm. I ended up running the cheap converter because it kept the rear bumper cleaner.

If there exists such a back-to-back comparison for a New-Edge GT (even anecdotal like above) of an aftermarket catted H- or X-pipe, and a so-called "off-road" pipe, I have never seen or heard of it.

If your setup is otherwise stock a good tune will gain you much more than removing the cats could possibly provide...

-----------------------------------------------
¹ - The "gotcha" here is that the OEM exhaust system is restrictive at higher engine speeds, so compared to the stock system and o/r pipe will show gains.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

My car actually felt slower off the line without cats. And it did smell kinda bad also.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:57 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Several down sides to no cats:
No real power gain.
Not street legal in the US (meaning if you get in a pinch, your insurance technically isn't valid).
Terrible smell.
Kills polar bears.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

I have actually had both on my car and to be perfectly honest it only becomes beneficial when you go over 400whp. I was able to feel the restriction with the cats and as soon as I took them off I could literally feel the exhaust come out much smoother. In Florida there are no emissions so it's legal where I live. You do indeed have more of a fuel smell when you're at a light with your Windows down but other than that and the louder growl it's a great piece to add on.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:23 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Stock mid pipe is one of the most restrictive parts on a stock GT. You will see a HP increase if you take them off.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:04 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragonus18
I have actually had both on my car and to be perfectly honest it only becomes beneficial when you go over 400whp. I was able to feel the restriction with the cats and as soon as I took them off I could literally feel the exhaust come out much smoother. In Florida there are no emissions so it's legal where I live. You do indeed have more of a fuel smell when you're at a light with your Windows down but other than that and the louder growl it's a great piece to add on.

Actually it's a federal law, and illegal to remove them in all 50 states. FL just doesn't check annually. If you get caught without them, you'll get a ticket.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:20 PM
Armystrongmach1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Actually it's a federal law, and illegal to remove them in all 50 states. FL just doesn't check annually. If you get caught without them, you'll get a ticket.
off topic...

Last edited by Armystrongmach1; 04-23-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Originally Posted by Armystrongmach1
It is a federal law that says you should not speed either, however 95% of us do on the interstate and if you get caught you get a ticket.
True and a speeding ticket can be as low as like $40 but getting caught with no cats can be a fine up to $2500 and the shop that removed them can get charged or shut down. So both speeding and cats are on the illegal side but there are a few differences

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: having no catalytic convertors increase horsepower?