4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Engine & Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Default 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Engine & Transmission

Just want to say first of all, I'm not in the immediate need of replacing my current engine/tranny. This is something I stumbled across and am just looking for feedback. Primarily, I want to know for certain that the contents in the sale is everything that is needed to do this swap into my 2001 GT Automatic (minus the DS) and is of a sane price.

Here is the details of what is for sale:

This is a complete drivetrain out of a 2003 SVT Cobra Mustang. Featuring the Supercharged 4.6L DOHC engine and 6 speed transmission, this is one of the finest motors Ford has ever put into production.

79k miles

Everything you need for installation is included:

Complete supercharged engine w/ 6 Speed T56 Transmission
ALL front intercooler with mounting brackets, pump, lines, and plumbing.
ALL electrical & computer. Includes all wiring harnesses, ecu, and gauge cluster.
Driveshaft, shifter, transmission mount, and trans wiring.
Ignition w/ column and key (matches cluster and ecu for PATS - will start right up)
All bolts & hardware necessary for installation.
Even Front k-member included for easy transport.

I will include the KEY along with the ignition column that matches the computer and gauge cluster so there won't be any PATS issues.

This drivetrain is very clean and ready to install and start right up. There are zero running issues with the engine, it runs and shifts perfectly, just like new! I have most bolts and lines zip-tied in place to make installation a breeze.
From what he is claiming to sell, is this as simple as swap in, turn key and be happy? Also, he is asking $7000.00.

One reason this has peaked my interest is overall cost. I paid a little over $8,000 for my '01 GT convertible. A 03-04 Cobra convertible is a lot more expensive. I've seen them in the low $20k's. So my $8k, plus the $7k for this engine/tranny would be a lot less than selling my GT and buying a real Cobra.

Overall thoughts?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:15 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

My thoughts are you already bought the GT for 8000 now your dropping 7k on an engine and tranny to put in a car thats worth that. I would personally sell or trade in the GT and put the 7k on top of that and finance a cobra. Swapping an engine is a lot of work too so its up to you. Ive seen just engines for that much money so it doesnt seem like a bad deal since youre getting the t56 with it
Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

By a lot of work, are you saying based on what he is selling, there is more to it than swap it in and turn the key? Or do you mean a lot of work as in just a pain in the *** to do the physical swap?
Old 04-26-2012, 04:28 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Are you doing the labor yourself?If not it will be expensive(I guess you already know that).I believe you'll need a bigger fuel pump and a tune also.In all honesty if you can afford to I would sell your car and get a terminator.Yes I know that they cost 20k and up but they will continue to hold their value.I mean they're 8-9 yrs old and still fetch a premium pricetag.Down the road it will still be easier to sell an authentic cobra compared to an 01 GT with a terminator swap.Trust me I wished I would've just bought a cobra instead of a GT,then doing a 4v swap on it.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jeh4269
Are you doing the labor yourself?If not it will be expensive(I guess you already know that).I believe you'll need a bigger fuel pump and a tune also.In all honesty if you can afford to I would sell your car and get a terminator.Yes I know that they cost 20k and up but they will continue to hold their value.I mean they're 8-9 yrs old and still fetch a premium pricetag.Down the road it will still be easier to sell an authentic cobra compared to an 01 GT with a terminator swap.Trust me I wished I would've just bought a cobra instead of a GT,then doing a 4v swap on it.
Thanks for the input. I would do the swap myself *IF* there aren't going to be any hidden Oh Noes.

I also agree with you from a value standpoint. I'm not scouring the internet looking for a cobra engine and tranny. I just stubbed my toe on it today and thought I should consult my good friends on Mustangforums and get educated.

I'll probably stick with my GT for a while then. If I told my wife I wanted to spend 20k on a summer toy she'd tell me to spend that 20k and remodel the kitchen

Thanks again!