4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Good Mods starting off for an '01 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 02:03 AM
01GT_EatinRice

Default Good Mods starting off for an '01 GT

I've already installed a Flowmaster 40 series Exhaust, and was given some advice as to what to add. I was told 3.73 Gears (or 4.10s depending on the amount of driving I do), then a Tune from Bama, CAI, Throttle Body, and was told to not get Under Drive Pullies. Any other mods for starting out that I should obtain? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, it's an Automatic, and I was told that BBK Long Tube Headers don't fit well with the Auto.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:15 AM
JeremyB
1st Gear Member

if you are stuck on longtubes, MAC's fit with the auto, if not I would get shorties, the power difference won't be that much and it will be WAY easier to install, also an aftermarket mid pipe would be beneficial as well

another thing to consider would be some suspension stuff as well as brakes, just depends on what you want to do with the car for picking that out
Old 04-27-2012, 02:21 AM
01GT_EatinRice

I haven't heard much on MAC's, do you know anything good on SLP Short Tube, or Long Tube Headers? Also, I've already gotten approved for a loan to completely re-do suspension (Eibach), and Breaks (Brembo). I want to make it a nasty car. That's the only stuff I got for the loan, and doing installation myself with friends for free. So, that's not an issue. But, The other stuff will come with time, and some patience on my part. I just want to get gears, suspension, and headers done first (along with the tune). Give those Ponies an *** to run with, lol.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:33 AM
JeremyB
1st Gear Member

All longtubes are just about the same, maybe 1-2 hp difference between them, shorties will be a few hp short of longtubes, but longtubes are a nightmare to install, especially if you don't have access to a lift
Old 04-27-2012, 02:35 AM
01GT_EatinRice

I have access to a lift. Live 5 minutes away from Fort Lee, and the Auto Hobby shop there. Just don't know if it's worth the major jump in cost. You know?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01GT_EatinRice
I've already gotten approved for a loan to completely re-do suspension (Eibach), and Breaks (Brembo). I want to make it a nasty car.
How much are you spending on those brakes? I'm not sure you need to invest a lot into the brakes. Jazzer has a great $350.00 brake upgrade How-To.

Are you going to be doing road-track racing?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01GT_EatinRice
I've already installed a Flowmaster 40 series Exhaust, and was given some advice as to what to add. I was told 3.73 Gears (or 4.10s depending on the amount of driving I do), then a Tune from Bama, CAI, Throttle Body, and was told to not get Under Drive Pullies. Any other mods for starting out that I should obtain? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, it's an Automatic, and I was told that BBK Long Tube Headers don't fit well with the Auto.

I would most def reccommend 410's. The mpg difference (trust me because I have had both) is not that much of a difference. Most guys on here will tell you that a CAI system is pretty much a waste of money as well as shorties. Are you planning on going with a S/C, turbor or N20? If you are, I would buy a good 75 MM TB, if not a 70 MM one will do you just fine. Any pics!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:48 AM
TEXASx2000xMUSTANGx
2nd Gear Member

i have SLP longtubes and there amazing, if you wanna spend the money go with slp or kooks
Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

I would go with Lt's and aftermarket midpipe.I'd choose 4.10's over 3.73's.Bigger TB and tune.Then I would work on suspension and brakes.Check out Jazzer I believe he has good write ups on both.If you truly want make it nasty you'll want go the FI route.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 PM
01GT_EatinRice

Yeah, I just ordered the 4.10's, and SLP Longtube Headers. In the next 2 weeks, I'm getting the CAI, Throttle Body, and a Tune. So, we'll see what happens. Thanks for all the requests. Also, to Soldier GT, it will have Forced Induction later (hopefully a 2.8L KB Super Charger), no Nitrous Oxide. But, the Forced Induction will come after I forge the internals properly.

Quick Reply: Good Mods starting off for an '01 GT