4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

new calipers from napa compared to stock.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:45 AM
timothyphicks02

Default new calipers from napa compared to stock.

Im wondering how much different if at all. (in the ability to stop that is) new calipers from Napa would be compared to the stock cobra calipers. one of mine froze up and would need to be replaced or rebuilt is why Im asking. probobly easier to buy a new one than get it rebuilt I imagine. anyone have exp with generic calipers? If I have to ship mine to the states to be rebuilt I will but if I dont...
Old 04-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Froze up? Like the pistons froze up?

I can't believe the caliper needs to be replaced. Its aluminum. Did you whack something hard?

Piston rebuild kits are $3.00 per piston and new pistons are $10.99/ea. You should be able to rebuild that caliper pretty cheap..

Unless I'm not following ya.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:44 PM
timothyphicks02

well I hit a curb and took it in to get the suspension looked at and was told the caliper froze up and was stuck. so idk what is wrong exactly havnt drove it since. I doubt its bent though I hit the drivers side front and its the pass rear. I just have no idea what rebuilding entails. is it pretty easy to do myself?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by timothyphicks02
is it pretty easy to do myself?
Yes, its pretty easy. I'm speaking from experience with the caliper already off the car (I'm doing a brake upgrade)

Once you have the caliper off the car and the pads off, put a block of wood or something padded inside the caliper. Then take an air compressor and blast air into the inlet hole on the back of the caliper. The pistons should pop right out from the forced air.

Inside the piston walls is a ring seal. Use a small screw driver and carefully remove the seal.

After everything is out, inspect the insides of the piston walls and the pistons. Look for unusual wear or deep scratches. If there are any you may need to hone the piston cylinders.

If everything looks good, its s easy as popping in the new seals, pistons and dust boots. Make sure you liberally use brake fluid on the seals and pistons when you put them back in. Re install new pads and you should be good to go. Hook everything back up and bleed the brakes

Before you re-attach that caliper, wouldn't hurt to inspect the rotor too, make sure its true.

If I'm missing anything and others would like to speak up, I'd appreciate it. I'm not used to giving advice, I'm usually asking it.

Edit: I should note. If you buy a new caliper you'd have to do most of what I wrote above anyway.

I'm not a mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Last edited by Shampue; 04-27-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Also... Dont your stock calipers say cobra on them? Or are they plain jane?

Old 04-28-2012, 01:15 AM
timothyphicks02

that does sound pretty damn easy. I just dont have an air compressor. Any other way? just push em with something maybe? lol. and yes my stocks say cobra thats why Id prefer keeping them. I was just wondering incase I had to ship them to the U.S to get rebuilt Id use the napa oones in the mean time.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

You can't get behind them to push them out with anything but air.

At least, I don't know of another way
Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 AM
timothyphicks02

well I may have to pick a compressor up then. or Id like to find somewhere that seel rebuilt powder coated ones. Ill have to look around. I know there was a place that sold them for my supra. but and air compressor is a good idea anyway. air tools lol.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

I know a guy (not personally) who sells powder coated, refinished Cobra calipers and brackets. Looks crazy nice. He charges $399.00 for them but will discount it if you provide your core calipers & brackets for trade. I think he discounts it $145, I think.

Then you'd have nice, rebuilt, powder coated calipers.

If you're interested I can PM you his information.

Last edited by Shampue; 04-28-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:55 AM
timothyphicks02

Is that for each, both rears/fronts, or a full set of four? yes please pm the info. Im going to be ordering parts and rebuilding the suspension. brakes, exhaust starting in June through July.

Quick Reply: new calipers from napa compared to stock.