4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Inspection w/ offroad midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Zack412

Default Inspection w/ offroad midpipe

Im looking at this bbk o/r H to go with my slp lm1 catback which i already have installed and before i order im wondering how will i pass inspection? I know a bunch of people have the offroads so theres a way. And i dont "know anyone" who will pass it for me so i might be out of luck? I live in pittsburgh by the way. Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 AM
95beaststang
1st Gear Member

Just keep your stock midpipe and swap it before the inspection .....
Old 05-09-2012, 10:41 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Make and install a set of MIL eliminators on the rear O² sensors. They will trick the PCM into believing the cats are there and working. You will still not pass a visual inspection of course...
Old 05-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Zack412

about how much would it cost to swap it back? and is that even possible dont they have to weld in the new pipe? it is an 03 so im guessing the stock ones a little rusty
i dont know much about exhaust sorry if any of those are dumb questions lol
Old 05-09-2012, 03:19 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The mid pipe is a bolt in assembly.

I assume as you asked "about how much would it cost to swap it back?" that you do not plan on installing it yourself? If so, do not expect that any legitimate exhaust shop or mechanic will install the o/r pipe as doing so is a violation of any state's, and federal, auto emissions laws. Even the local "mom and pop" shop here in Saint Augustine will not install an off-road pipe, or remove cats...
Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

save yourself the hassel and buy Hi Flow Cats.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:51 PM
99texasGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zack412
about how much would it cost to swap it back? and is that even possible dont they have to weld in the new pipe? it is an 03 so im guessing the stock ones a little rusty
i dont know much about exhaust sorry if any of those are dumb questions lol

Just keep the stock mid pipes. With all my foxbodys living in Houston. Every year I had to go and get inspection. So once a year i would pull the stang up on ramps, take off the off road pipe, put on the stock pipe and drive down and get the inspection. Then after it passed, drive back home and put the off roads back on. Took about an hour on my time. Good luck and yes a high flow cat would save all this crap.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:54 PM
04camaroeater
1st Gear Member

Mil's are great but when I went to get mine inspected they could tell just by the sound that I didn't have cats and I have stock mufflers. With your slp's there is no way they are going to ignore how loud your car would be. The mil's fix the check engine light but they don't deafen the inspector. You have to know someone that will "ignore" the fact that there are now cats. Find someone else near u with a loud mustang and talk to them. It is practically impossible without connections.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Or move down here, no inspections of any sort...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SXGT
save yourself the hassel and buy Hi Flow Cats.
^This would be the best option^ Plus having no Cats the exhaust will not just be louder but smells like chit too ,very noticeable.
being in MA. the laws suck here too,but my Cobra just this year turned old enough where it doesnt get smog tested anymore.But in my opinion Id still leave my cats on for reason I stated.

PONY cant smell like chit going down the road

Last edited by Repzard; 05-09-2012 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Inspection w/ offroad midpipe