4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

1996 Mustang GT, 4.6 Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Phoelix

Default 1996 Mustang GT, 4.6 Transmission issue

Greetings from Atlanta, Georgia,

My son is in the USAF, and in Tech school out in Wichita Falls, Texas, and has been obsessed with the Mustang GT for as long as I can remember. Well, without me being there with him, he went out and bought a 1996 Mustang GT, 4.6 automatic, with about 90,000 miles. He was kind of apprehensive about telling me about the problems with the car, but finally did. He says it runs just fine, but it requires ALOT of RPMs to shift out of first gear. Once it shifts, all other gears are normal....I initially thought of maybe a modulator problem, but not sure without the car being here. He says it has good fluid in it, but plans on changing the fluid and filter in hopes of remedying the problem. I told him to find a good quality forum, such as this one, and explain what's going on, as there would be lots of very knowlegable people here that would be glad to help him....He loves his country, and is serving proudly as a C-130 crewchief, and would appreciate any help you guys could offer....Dad is not there, and don't want him to get ripped off by some transmission shop. He has limited access to the internet, so here's Dad helping all he can....Thanks in advance, for Airman First Class Brad Alexander!
Old 05-09-2012, 02:07 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Could be the MLPS, also called the neutral safety switch. Could also be the throttle position sensor, or the vehicle speed sensor. All of these factor in shift points. Could be too that someone programmed the transmission to do that. Does it shift at the same RPM every time under light and medium acceleration?
Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Phoelix

Thanks for the speedy reply JC316! I really don't know the intricate details...I have informed him that I have posted the problem here on this Forum, and hopefully he will be ringing in tonight to give more details....Sounds too complicated for me!!! Hoping someone on base will be of help to him too.....
Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Herkydoc92
1st Gear Member

Allllriiighhty.... Greetings from Sheppard AFB, Texas... Brad here... My new 'stang is having some issues.. It'll wind out first gear (wont shift till about 35-45 mph.)
Like paw said, i'm going to change the tranny fluid and all, but I'm not entirely sure it'll help... The previous owner said he did already, (though I don't know he's entirely trustworthy with cars...)

And.... I'm not entirely sure i'm OBSESSED with mustangs... They're my favorite car and I've always wanted one... I hope to either buy a cobra or convert my current GT into one... Some day........

Hey. a guy can dream right? I'm only 19... Cut me some slack...

Bradley Alexander,
A1C,
USAF.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

^Probably not. What JC said it could be a bad throttle positioning sensor or there should be some module for the tranny. I would start there. I had a similar problem and it was my TPS. If anything I would check the fluid to make sure it is filled properly.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Hey, welcome to the site and you definitely came to the right place since most of us are obsessed with mustangs. This isn't a transmission fluid problem, it sounds electrical to me, check the second post on what I suggested. All are pretty easy to change, from what you are saying, my money is on the TPS, especially if it's consistent.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:15 AM
ESABATM
2nd Gear Member

check the mlps. the old style had a black gasket on it. The new updated part had an orange gasket. These year models along all products ford used these on were affected.

Corrosion was a problem inside when the seal failed.

The part is located on the left side of the transmission where the sift lever is.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Phoelix

Get on it Buddy!!! This is where the rubber meets the road and you learn!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Herkydoc92
1st Gear Member

I'll check it out for sure... I'm sure someone on base'll help me replace it.. I priced them out and they don't seem too expensive so I'll work for it here soon.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:39 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Herkydoc92
I'll check it out for sure... I'm sure someone on base'll help me replace it.. I priced them out and they don't seem too expensive so I'll work for it here soon.
Trust me, it's not hard to change the MLPS or the TPS. Think it's 2 bolts each.

Quick Reply: 1996 Mustang GT, 4.6 Transmission issue