4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:12 PM
llooggaann

Default PI swap?

What is this exactly?
correct me if im wrong but is it, taking the heads, intake, and cams from a 99-04 mustang and putting it in a mustang of earlier years such as my 96?

if so , I already have CAI , and i planned on getting stage II cams from American muscle in the near future. But i wanted to do a PI swap first, because everyone says that is the best thing to do in the beginning? if i were to do a PI swap all i would need was the heads right? and then i can just buy the cams and install those with the heads?

I'm not that knowledgeable on the subject, any advice will help, especially on what to do before/after this, if this is even a wise choice
Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

PI is the heads and the intake manifold. see if you can find used ones from a salvage yard on a rear end collision of a low mile 04.

the PI swap should put you at 270hp i think. If you wanted to you could get better heads than the 99-04 mustang.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 AM
PositiveKarma
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SXGT
PI is the heads and the intake manifold. see if you can find used ones from a salvage yard on a rear end collision of a low mile 04.

the PI swap should put you at 270hp i think. If you wanted to you could get better heads than the 99-04 mustang.
Don't forget about the Cams too.

If you're interested, read up on this guide:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...ite-up.717166/
Old 05-24-2012, 01:03 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

op, like mentioned earlier the pi swap is just using the complete heads/cams and intake manifold on the 96-98 gt's. if you use the factory pi cams and are buying the heads already assembled, then you can get away with out degreeing the cams and just bolt the heads on. if you decide to buy cams then you will have to degree them! choosing a cam is another thing you need to decide on. bigger isnt always better. going too big and valve notches are needed or the cam needs to be retarded which is bad because it will yeild bad low end power. buying a smaller cam that will yeild better power curves through the whole rpm range is what you will enjoy the most. here is a pi swap write up and my build thread which will show you a little on valve notches (bugdet ones anyway) and degreeing in cams.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ustang-gt.html
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...ine-build.html
Old 05-24-2012, 09:35 PM
bigdaddytwingirls

I just recently purchased a set of pi heads and pi intake. The cams were removed for storing purposes. When installing the parts on my 98 gt, will the cams need to be degreed? The only mods done thus far is cats removed, flowmaster exhaust into turn downs before the axle. Any advice for the most power improvement for my money?
Old 05-25-2012, 08:07 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

You have the right idea OP, PI swap with stage 2 cams would make great power. just make sure you get the heater tube that goes under the intake mani. i think MHS sells a nice swap kit
Old 05-25-2012, 10:42 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
You have the right idea OP, PI swap with stage 2 cams would make great power. just make sure you get the heater tube that goes under the intake mani. i think MHS sells a nice swap kit
+1 I ran into that problem, I ended up ordering mine from the dealership.

read this and you will see..
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...swap-asap.html
Old 05-25-2012, 10:48 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigdaddytwingirls
I just recently purchased a set of pi heads and pi intake. The cams were removed for storing purposes. When installing the parts on my 98 gt, will the cams need to be degreed? The only mods done thus far is cats removed, flowmaster exhaust into turn downs before the axle. Any advice for the most power improvement for my money?
you could get by with factory cams not degreeing them but i would personally. it will get the most hp out of them. if the engine will be out, then i definately would. easy to perform then. there are companies out there that perform cam degreeing services too if you dont feel comfy doing it yourself
Old 05-29-2012, 01:17 PM
bigdaddytwingirls

The guy installing them is going to degree them for me. The motor is not going to be out.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:16 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

I have the PI swap with stage 1 cams an full bolt ons with 4:10 gears.minus headers and made 281rwhp and 318rwtq. And ran a 13.23 at 107 in the 1/4 with street tires. I think I could get into 12's with slicks. Definitely worth it.

Quick Reply: PI swap?