4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Installing off road x pipe on my 02 GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 PM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Default Installing off road x pipe on my 02 GT

Hey guys i am planning on ordering and installing an offroad x pipe on my mustang GT in the next couple days

I was just wondering if anybody had any pointers on installing it and maybe some opinions on which brand to get.

i was reading that a pacifica one was pretty cheap (139 bucks) and came with 3 pieces so it was easier to install, it also had a black coating to prevent wear, and seemed to hold up well several thousand miles later.

Im just looking for some pointers from guys that have done this themselves.

I know i will have to get MILs to eliminate the CEL
Old 06-06-2012, 08:54 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jjstandardz
Hey guys i am planning on ordering and installing an offroad x pipe on my mustang GT in the next couple days

I was just wondering if anybody had any pointers on installing it and maybe some opinions on which brand to get.

i was reading that a pacifica one was pretty cheap (139 bucks) and came with 3 pieces so it was easier to install, it also had a black coating to prevent wear, and seemed to hold up well several thousand miles later.

Im just looking for some pointers from guys that have done this themselves.

I know i will have to get MILs to eliminate the CEL
The only bad thing about a 3 piece design is its more prone to leaking. Also some pointers are the manifold bolts. They are going to be really hard to get off and if you break them you will have to drill them out. And it's a PITA. So 1 day before you remove the old mid pipe spray some pb blaster or liquid wrench on the bolts. It helps out a lot. Hope this helped.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:33 PM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EddyG
The only bad thing about a 3 piece design is its more prone to leaking. Also some pointers are the manifold bolts. They are going to be really hard to get off and if you break them you will have to drill them out. And it's a PITA. So 1 day before you remove the old mid pipe spray some pb blaster or liquid wrench on the bolts. It helps out a lot. Hope this helped.
awesome thanks alot! ill deffinitely spray some liquid on them the day before so they come off easier. I figured the 3 piece would be easier for me to install myself, especially since i will just be using two jackstands. Is the proneness to leaking worth maybe looking for a one piece instead?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 PM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

also, does the x pipe go all the way back to the rear of my car? will i need to buy the separate tips that stick out a little bit from my rear end?

i guess what im trying to ask is if ill need to get a catback exhaust as well?
Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Boris91
2nd Gear Member

Check out the UPR offroad x-pipe. Mine came in last week and I'm putting it on this weekend. It's a 2-piece design and looks pretty high quality. It's only like $159 so it's a good price.

The x-pipe goes all the way to the beginning of your mufflers/catback. You can use it with stock mufflers or whatever you have.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:55 AM
madjimmax
1st Gear Member

If it was me I would go with a one piece design, as said earlier the more pieces the more possible leaks you could have. I run a BBK Xpipe which is one piece and is a piece of cake to install and remove.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:32 AM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

also, does the x pipe go all the way back to the rear of my car? will i need to buy the separate tips that stick out a little bit from my rear end?

i guess what im trying to ask is if ill need to get a catback exhaust as well?
I would get the 2 piece design or 1 piece. It's not that much harder to install its very lightweight compared to the stock midpipe. And the off road x will fit perfectly to your existing catback. You just may need to do some wiggling to get it to fit. Good luck and keep us updated. I would reccomend bassani midpipe, upr, bbk, and magnaflow. Don't get jegs, it has horrible fit and isn't worth saving 50 bucks for it.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:26 AM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

thanks guys, is it still gonna sound louder like all the videos with a stock cat back exhaust?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:02 AM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys, is it still gonna sound louder like all the videos with a stock cat back exhaust?
It's still going to be louder than u think lol. But it won't really have the roar as it would if you had aftermarket mufflers.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:10 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by madjimmax
If it was me I would go with a one piece design, as said earlier the more pieces the more possible leaks you could have. I run a BBK Xpipe which is one piece and is a piece of cake to install and remove.
+1 on the one piece X-H pipe design. Just as easy to install and less headache when it comes to possible leaks. Nothing worse than a leaking exhaust robbing power and sounding like crap. Been there, done that.

Also, STAY AWAY from the Pypes brand mid-pipe. Like a bunch of monkeys bent the tubing. Nothing lined up and leaked like HELL. Waste of 200 bucks.

I went with the Magnaflow Tru-X after the failed Pypes attempt. Stainless steel baby. Its pretty pricey, but should never rust. Paired with my Borla Stingers (also stainless), I got an exhaust set up that will last a long, long time and sounds amazing. Will wake the freaking dead, if I want it too.

Lastly, before you hose the exhaust manifold studs down with penetrating oil, get a small wire brush and clean any scale rust off the threads. Lube will do no good unless the threads are free of rust. Trust me. Do that, they will twist off with your fingers.

Quick Reply: Installing off road x pipe on my 02 GT