4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mods for beginners...

Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Great post, I am new here too, hoping to soon be a new owner of a 2001 GT with a 1989 5.0 in it. I hope this is the right place to post this but here goes. I have become fascinated with the 4.6l modular motor and have read as much info as I could find. I would one day like to put the 4.6l back in the 01 GT using junkyard Ford parts. Would it be best to use a 96 - 97 NPI bottom end with 99 – 05 heads and intake or just go for the 01 PI motor. From what I have read the NPI bottom end with the PI top will give you a higher compression ratio than the 01 PI motor?
Old 03-31-2013, 08:31 AM
jdmeaux1952

Smile

Originally Posted by WJL
Would it be best to use a 96 - 97 NPI bottom end with 99 – 05 heads and intake or just go for the 01 PI motor. From what I have read the NPI bottom end with the PI top will give you a higher compression ratio than the 01 PI motor?

Putting stock PI heads on a NPI bottom end will kick the compression to around 10.95 to 1, which will need at least 91 octane with a mild tune or 93 octane (or higher) with any other aggressive tune. But then if you decide to add force induction, you will kill the bottom end. And it won't take too much of a tune to cause serious problems with the pistons. (I learned that the hard way.)
Old 02-02-2014, 10:03 PM
BowtieBrother

I like the article but for one thing. A bigger throttle body on a stock application wont do much for hp. All a bigger throttle body will do is increase throttle response. Bigger throttle body does so by well being bigger meaning less restriction. In order to get any hp gain you'd have to port the intake and heads or just purchase better flowing units. The only way to over come the CFM restrictions is to FORCE the air in.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:56 AM
tadpole1969
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BowtieBrother
I like the article but for one thing. A bigger throttle body on a stock application wont do much for hp. All a bigger throttle body will do is increase throttle response. Bigger throttle body does so by well being bigger meaning less restriction. In order to get any hp gain you'd have to port the intake and heads or just purchase better flowing units. The only way to over come the CFM restrictions is to FORCE the air in.
yup agree with you on that! just installed the 78mm bkk throttle body and noticeable throttle responce inprovement for sure! may have a slight hp gain but not nothing to big
Old 07-23-2014, 06:12 PM
Tipsy Bojangles

I would do Subframes first, but only because I got my car with them. I understand they are a pain to install, but well worth stiffening up what is basically Fords revision of a '79 chassis... The consensus is usually suspension/brakes first, speed later. And as far as cold air intakes go, unless you buy one for a larger throttle body or other mods, it's a little unnecessary. Mustangs basically have a CAI from factory since '87.. Not to belittle where others spend their money, I agree they look great, but don't net you worthwhile gains if that is what you're after. Just get a K&N filter and call it a day. I'd appreciate input from y'all as well, I don't pretend my personal opinion is a hard and fast rule to live by, and have yet to do most of what has been mentioned here
Old 08-11-2014, 03:25 PM
98TripleBlackGT

MCxQubed, Thanks for posting this. I just picked-up a '98 GT and although I plan to keep it (mostly) stock, there are a couple of items on that list I plan to work through...Thanks again!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:49 PM
TylerHartt

Very helpful post, I've already read all of this but I can imagine it'd be very helpful.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:35 AM
sotom1

Great post, even for a guy that's done a few mods, there were a couple of gems I took away. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:00 PM
01GTon18s

Thanks for the info. I just bought my mustang less than 2 weeks ago, and it already had an eibach performance suspension on it. Everything else is stock and I was going to start with a CAI but after reading your post I don't think I'm going to worry about that. I do want to change the exhaust but more for a deeper sound than anything else. I haven't had time to research this yet so I don't know what I'm going to go with.
If you had to pick one mod off your list to start, what one would you pick?
Old 04-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Gears, Gears Gears.... Completely Stock? Go with 410's! It will be a totally different car...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mods for beginners...