4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI intake Manifold on NPI heads

Old 04-03-2014, 05:21 PM
sleeper98gtvert

Talking

Originally Posted by trexflyer
Went to the local pick n pull yesterday afternoon and found a 00 gt vert that just came in 2 weeks ago with totaled front end. Found the intake in great shape but some a$$monkey used a hammer/screwdriver to bash a hole in the valve covers and took the cam gears off, and destroyed the ends of the camshafts in the process. Going back first thing tomorrow morning to snag the intake before its ruined as well.

Just to clarify when putting in the manifold gasket, you only put a bead of sealant on the head between the coolant port and first intake port, then built up a ridge in the coolant port so the gasket would have something more to grab hold of? Really only want to do this once and want to avoid any leaks.

Also been searching for 03-04 stock pi cams and not having any luck. Anyone know where to find them without paying $300/pair?
I have a set a pi cams I could sell you and I also have a set of PI head, email me at gslaughter@embarqmail.com Id take 75 for the cams and 175 for the heads
Old 04-06-2014, 07:25 AM
GTgeezer
1st Gear Member

Hi that is an awesome DYI post thanks' somewhat related question. I have a 01 GT 4.6 2V and everything I have read 01 and newer 4.6's should have the PI intake with aluminum crossover and thermostat housing as shown in your pics. my car does not? it is all plastic. build date was 12/00. is this normal? also I have a very small weep on thermostat housing gasket. I will change. does not lose antifreeze or run hot or anything. it's actually just damp. also if I have an 01 there is no advantage of installing PI intake as it should be what I have already? or not. other then for the better aluminum crossover. thanks'
Old 04-07-2014, 07:21 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTgeezer
Hi that is an awesome DYI post thanks' somewhat related question. I have a 01 GT 4.6 2V and everything I have read 01 and newer 4.6's should have the PI intake with aluminum crossover and thermostat housing as shown in your pics. my car does not? it is all plastic. build date was 12/00. is this normal? also I have a very small weep on thermostat housing gasket. I will change. does not lose antifreeze or run hot or anything. it's actually just damp. also if I have an 01 there is no advantage of installing PI intake as it should be what I have already? or not. other then for the better aluminum crossover. thanks'
Either way, you have a PI intake manifold, i wouldnt worry about it too much whether its the plastic vs aluminum at this point. When you replace your gasket look for any signs or warping in the plastic where it mounts to the heads, it may not look like anything is leaking, but when you pull the intake you may see signs of it ready to start leaking. The aluminum crossover didnt really help warping issues, i warped mine 3-4 times with the aluminum crossover.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:29 PM
antwaan
3rd Gear Member

Alright I used this guide to do my swap. Car fired right up but my fan is constantly running. it wont shut off and I'm assuming its because of the extra sensor that the NPI manifold has? I didn't even realize the PI intake didn't have the hole for it until I was mounting it and judging by this thread I thought it would be ok without drilling and tapping a new hole and just leaving it off if it was just going to give me a coolant light. What are my options here? I don't want to drive it with the fan always running.

What about drilling the top of the thermostat housing and putting a 3/8 bung in the hole like you would on an exhaust pipe?

Last edited by antwaan; 04-14-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:26 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by antwaan
Alright I used this guide to do my swap. Car fired right up but my fan is constantly running. it wont shut off and I'm assuming its because of the extra sensor that the NPI manifold has? I didn't even realize the PI intake didn't have the hole for it until I was mounting it and judging by this thread I thought it would be ok without drilling and tapping a new hole and just leaving it off if it was just going to give me a coolant light. What are my options here? I don't want to drive it with the fan always running.

What about drilling the top of the thermostat housing and putting a 3/8 bung in the hole like you would on an exhaust pipe?
I guess you could do that. but that won't be reading the coolant temp sensor properly, as it will be after the tstat and will be reading different temps vs the crossover which is moving fluid between the heads. Do it right and drill and tap the crossover and get it in there.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:06 PM
ChuckDaddiii

what up guys. I had a crack in stock intake manifold npi. Had firestone do the work. worst decision ever. They put that cheap Dorman replacement on and I have been back 3 times to fix leak from rear of intake manifold and is still leaking. Can anybody tell me where I can find a replacement kit with alternator bracket made by ford or better than the Dorman. Is it really not a problem to install the pi intake kit to replace the npi without modifications? 98 mustang GT. 84000 mi. I did read and see pic about this but I just want to be sure. I was in an accident 7 weeks ago involving drunk driver and haven't been back to work due to back pain and have limited funds. Thanks
Old 04-22-2015, 06:15 PM
ChuckDaddiii

Yes this is my first GT. I had a base model before. I have a love for mustangs thanks to the 1970 MACH 1 428 cobra jet with drag pack my dad used to have. I just want to make sure I do the best I can for my baby.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:00 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

yes you can do the PI intake on the NPI heads no problem, go through AmericanMuscle or company of choice when buying it.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:08 PM
ChuckDaddiii

I found an Edelbrock 28385 manifold for Ford 4.6. will this fit my 98 gt

Amazon.com: Edelbrock 28385 Manifold for Ford 4.6: Automotive Amazon.com: Edelbrock 28385 Manifold for Ford 4.6: Automotive
Old 04-23-2015, 11:15 PM
ChuckDaddiii

I hope it does because Firestone put on a Dorman intake npi. Its leaking and they tried to fix 3 times. Id rather spend the extra 100 bucks for aluminum instead of dealing with this disaster of a repair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PI intake Manifold on NPI heads