4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hesitation/Surging

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 06:09 PM
MrMustang02gt

Unhappy Hesitation/Surging

How goes it everyone. so i have a surging/hesitation issue. ive posted the same issue on here before but never really got any good answeres, im hoping to find someone that has had the same issue. i have a 02 4.6 with about 90k on it. over the past couple months ive developed this surge like feeling upon acccel. so i pulled the fuel filter and thing was filthy... changed it. problem still exists. i have no DTC to go off of but i pluged in my scanner anyways to read my PIDS. eveything looks norm. so i figured its gotta be ignition related. maybe a shotty plug or craked boot and spark is grounding to head. so i changed all my plugs w/motorcraft plugs and new rubber boot and springs. problem is still there. im really at a loss. the best way to discribe what im feeling is, is when i drive its a loss of power with a surging type of feeling... like a misfire.

side note: just got her smogged yesterday and she passed with flying colors. my emmisions were extremely low! so now thats kinda telling me maybe its not a misfire. obviously im getting a complete burn to have such low readings. please help. any and all logical feedback helps. thank you.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:17 PM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

Have you cleaned the MAF sensor?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

When Was the last time you replaced or cleaned the air filter?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 PM
MrMustang02gt

MAF was one of the first things I checked. Its clean and voltage is normal and readings are normal. Air filter is pretty new. i pulled and checked that too and its not clogged. the damn thing is still pretty white.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:30 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Have you made sure you don't have vacuum leaks anywhere? Including hard to find spots like around where the intake meets the head, or where the injector goes into the intake, or the throttle body meets the plenum, plenum to intake...basically any tube that's not wires or fluids coming off the engine?
Old 06-25-2012, 01:23 AM
MrMustang02gt

if there was a vacumm leak i would have a high idle. pretty sure its not a vacumm leak!
Old 06-25-2012, 05:27 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

are plugs gapped right? Might be time for new COPs
Old 06-25-2012, 06:29 AM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrMustang02gt
if there was a vacumm leak i would have a high idle. pretty sure its not a vacumm leak!
Do you want the help or not? You claim to have come here before and asked. Never had gotten any good answers. That is funny since you have made a total of 4 posts. But I won't get into that. Have you really eliminated the vacuum leak or are you just assuming because it idles fine?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:52 PM
MrMustang02gt

Originally Posted by Tom V
Do you want the help or not? You claim to have come here before and asked. Never had gotten any good answers. That is funny since you have made a total of 4 posts. But I won't get into that. Have you really eliminated the vacuum leak or are you just assuming because it idles fine?
i do want the help. i want replys that make sence. not member just spoutin off random things. and to answer your sobby remark about how many posts i have... thats because this is a new account due to the fact that i dont remeber my old one.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:58 PM
MrMustang02gt

Originally Posted by uberstang1
are plugs gapped right? Might be time for new COPs
yea bro, i checked the gap before i installed them. im starting to lean towards coil/coils aswell. that was my original diag but went with the cheaper route first. ive just never seen a coil misfire with out a DCT being thrown. looks like AMERICAN MUSCLE her i come.

Quick Reply: Hesitation/Surging