4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

UPR Manual Brake conversion and Pedal ratio

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 PM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

Default UPR Manual Brake conversion and Pedal ratio

Ok, I ordered and installed the UPR Manual brake conversion deal, its needs the pedal ratio adjusted, and not sure what to do with it from here.

The directions were JUNK with that kit, atleast i certainly didnt receive anything gave insight toward doing this part of the swap.

It only taught you how to bench bleed the cylinder etc.

Any pointers? Ive seen mention of the fox body guys moving their pedal down and drilling a hole, does this hold true for the edge?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

Jax,

Ive never done this for any vehicle but i have done alil research

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co.../photo_12.html

from what ive read about it so far is you drill a hole 1" above where the hole is now and use that hole

Also if u search google for for the UPR conversion and then on the left click on images you will come across a small pic of the peddle instructions.

Not much out there for 99-04 edges doing this.

Last edited by Tac2cul; 06-27-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 AM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Tac2cul, i think you are right, im just going to have to give it a shot and see what happens.

I already had to spend a **** load of time adjusting the UPR conversion block and shimming it correctly to make it work right with the factory position, im not really happy with the kit at all to be honest.

I called and Emailed and got no response from them either. Oh well, ill give it a shot, tore down some of the car anyway to fix a few things, ill give this a whirl as well.

thanks.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:14 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

First, and most importantly, I apologize for the lack of response from the shop. After I type this post, I'll PM you my cell phone number and you'll be able to get in touch with me anytime.

Second, I think it's a good idea to discuss why you say the pedal ratio needs to be adjusted. I've personally used UPR's manual brake conversion and Racecraft's manual brake conversion. Racecraft's kit is a higher end kit than ours is(costs almost twice as much as ours), and it requires drilling the brake pedal and relocating the shaft for the master cylinder. I guess it's kind of nice that the pedal is softer on the Racecraft kit, but I personally prefer the pedal feel of our kit. I've bled the brakes on my racecar (with the Racecraft kit) several times and I can't seem to get rid of the mushy feeling in the brake pedal, like there's air in the lines. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with it, and it's not like I'm going to remove it from my car. But me personally, I prefer a nice firm pedal feel. If I tip into the brakes, it'll slow down a little, but if I need the car to stop NOW, I'll mash the pedal and get it done. That's how it is with the UPR kit, and I like that.

But all of that is just personal taste. Let's just try to figure out what works best for you. Like I said, I'll PM you my cell number and give you my boss's contact info in case you want to discuss it with him. In addition to being the boss, he's also our lead guy in tech support. In other words, he's the boss, but he's also a real racer/mechanic. He'll get you squared away.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:38 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by JAX04
Thanks Tac2cul, i think you are right, im just going to have to give it a shot and see what happens.

I already had to spend a **** load of time adjusting the UPR conversion block and shimming it correctly to make it work right with the factory position, im not really happy with the kit at all to be honest.

I called and Emailed and got no response from them either. Oh well, ill give it a shot, tore down some of the car anyway to fix a few things, ill give this a whirl as well.

thanks.
Unfortuantly when your building a race car using parts like these, nothing is a cut and dry install. When it comes to shimming and what not thats just part of building a car, each chasis can have a slight variation then the next from the factory and nothing is EXACTLY the same, hence why shimming is required and depending on your prefrence of location and feel. Its not a factory replacement part so your really can expect to install as one.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:46 PM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

Sharad, thanks for the post and PM brother. I do appreciate that.

As far as pedal feel, im not sure, I like it firm, soft pedals that require no effort make me feel unsafe, its just me i guess. lol.

Now, ive spent a few hours off and on bleeding brakes, etc. When i installed this kit it was all brand new lines etc. I rebuilt all the lines in the car, didnt want any trouble with lines from 99 that had been sitting for awhile.

Now, as far as pedal ratio, im not sure, ive been "TOLD" by many people that i really need a 6:1 ratio on manual brakes... What the factory ones were, i dont know.

Just when i tell people that i really need to STAND on the pedal to keep her still while trying to build boost, not just the back tires, the front will push through unless im literally, *** of the seat, back pressed into chair and pushing... They all say the pedal ratio isnt right.

This is on street tires too, in my driveway, not a prepped track on radials or something. So with that said, i can see where a little more mechanical advantage could help. Maybe im doing something else wrong, im def not afraid to admit that at all.

I really do appreciate you jumping in here to help out. Im picking up my radiator tonight since i had to have it repaired and will probably be messing with it tonight.

Last edited by uberstang1; 06-29-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Tac2cul
3rd Gear Member

Why not install a line lock?Unless u have one already

Last edited by Tac2cul; 06-29-2012 at 09:05 PM.