4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car shuts off while cruising to a stop in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 04:11 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

You have obviously never taken off an EGR valve before--if it is clogged or sticking it will be filled with the nastiest burned/hardened up stuff you have ever seen. Concrete would be easier to clean out...
Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Endrance
1st Gear Member

Buying the egr today. Is this something I'm gonna need to reset the computer for after I change it?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Endrance
Buying the egr today. Is this something I'm gonna need to reset the computer for after I change it?
You don't need to reset the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) however doing so will clear the various adaptive learning parameters stored by the PCM (idle air and fuel trims, etc.) and force it to relearn same.

That said, I would disconnect the battery for 5-7 minutes and clear it out.

In fact I do this at the start of what passes for "seasons" down here. The PCM would re-learn things for the change in seasons, however it relearns much more slowly than it initially learns--resetting the KAM forces it to re-learn...
Old 07-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Endrance
1st Gear Member

So when it becomes "winter" down here for like that 1 daya year, it's good to let it relearn? I'm guessing it has to do with the car learning new a/f ratios since the air is less dense?
Old 07-30-2012, 06:43 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Endrance
So when it becomes "winter" down here for like that 1 daya year, it's good to let it relearn? I'm guessing it has to do with the car learning new a/f ratios since the air is less dense?
It does not learn new a/f ratios, in closed loop operation that is fixed at 14.7:1. What it learns (mostly) are the short and long term fuel trims (fuel injection correction factors), and idle air trim--actually the amount of air the IAC needs to admit for various engine load conditions.

Cooler air is more dense than warmer air; but as the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor measures the mass of incoming air, rather than the volume, that is not a huge factor. IAT (Intake Air Temperature) is used in fueling calculations however it has more impact on ignition timing.

We have 2-1/2 seasons here in NE Florida. Nice (the 1/2 part), hot, then Friggin' HOT, and back to hot for a while before returning to nice.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Endrance
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
We have 2-1/2 seasons here in NE Florida. Nice (the 1/2 part), hot, then Friggin' HOT, and back to hot for a while before returning to nice.
Replace "Hot" with Stupidly Humid Hot and you have moved to S. Florida.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM
KYredsvt

Default Accufab TB

I put Accufab TB on my 4v and have had problems w/ car shutting off when coming to a rolling stop if I wasnt in gear. I replaced almost every sensor and part thats been mentioned in this post with no good results. I searched and searched threads and websites for the answer, and in a post (cant remember where i read it) someone wrote about Accufab TB throttle plate being off centered. That it was letting air blow by the throttle plate even tho it was shut. The way to fix the problem was to take your inlet tube from airfilter to TB off to gain access to the butterfly. then loosen the little allen bolts holding butterfly on the center bar rod. It should shift into place where it needs to be. Just be careful and not loosen bolts all the way that they fall out!!! I did this procedure and it has helped my rolling stop idling problem. But when my TPS was bad, setting at idle it would stay idled up a few seconds before it would drop to normal idle after giving it fuel.