4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hissing/rattling under Acceleration w/ Check engine soon light on

Old 08-26-2012, 01:06 PM
XI584

Default Hissing/rattling under Acceleration w/ Check engine soon light on

So I have a strong hissing/rattling noise when the car is under acceleration. Its much louder when you accelerate in gear, i.e. its not as bad accelerating in neutral. The noise came up a day ago, and today I took the car out for a drive to see if the noise persisted, it did, and the check engine light has came on.

Does anyone know what this could be, or how I can find out what the check engine light is pointing me to?

Any help is appreciated, thanks. Also the car is a 2002 GT 4.6L.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:18 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Go to any FLAPS (Favourite Local Auto Parts Store) and ask that they read the trouble codes. There may be more than one get them all, and write down the codes.

Listen politely to what they tell you the code(s) mean, then when you get home look them up here to find out what they really mean...
Old 08-27-2012, 09:28 AM
XI584

Thanks man I will definitely do that ASAP (Once Issac stops dropping rain on us here). That is a very helpful site you have. Once I get the codes and look up what is wrong I will post it here. Doesn't seem to serious, the noise wasn't so bad today, and the car drives fine otherwise. I think it might be a bit sluggish but it might also be in my head.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Bands of heavy rain passing through here in Saint Augustine too...
Old 08-27-2012, 01:52 PM
XI584

So managed to find a break in the rain and got the car diagnosed at auto zone. The error code is P1405.

P1405 - DPF EGR Sensor Upstream Hose Off or Plugged

Description:
While driving, the EGR monitor commands the EGR valve closed and checks the differential pressure across the EGR orifice. The test fails when the signal from the DPF EGR sensor indicates EGR flow is in the negative direction.

Causes:
*Upstream hose is disconnected
*Upstream hose is plugged (ice)
*Plugged or damaged EGR tube

I googled these parts and what not, and looked under the hood. Everything seems to look good (nothing that is obvious unplugged, broken, etc.) so I am thinking that maybe the EGR tube is cracked or something. Would this explain the hissing noise I hear under acceleration?

Also thanks so much for the help, this site is great. And yeah, this rain sucks lol.

Last edited by XI584; 08-27-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 PM
XI584

So I think I found something, and did a bit more research. I have come to the conclusion that maybe there is something wrong with my exhaust, which created pressure and popped off the hose or hoses on the EGR tube.

I found what seems to be a missing tube (see the plug?):

I don't see a dangling tube so maybe it got popped off completely. It's definitely in an uncomfortable place to work. I have had the car for two weeks, and I don't know any mechanics in Orlando. I have a Midas 2 blocks from my house so I may go have them take a look at it, see if they can't put a new hose on there. Next time I'm in Miami I will have a mechanic I trust take a look at the exhaust system and what not. What you think, am I on the right track?
Old 08-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Get a hand vacuum pump. Unhook the EGR valve vacuum line and connect the hand pump. Pump it a couple of times, the EGR valve should hold vacuum. If not then the diaphram is bad and the hissing you hear is the vacuum rushing past the failed diaphram.

Nevermind...that pic shows the most likely source of the hiss Have someone start the car up then plug the hole with your finger, see if that gets rid of the hiss. Funny that only started in the last day or two though...?
Old 08-27-2012, 02:46 PM
XI584

Originally Posted by Derf00
Nevermind...that pic shows the most likely source of the hiss Have someone start the car up then plug the hole with your finger, see if that gets rid of the hiss. Funny that only started in the last day or two though...?
No the hissing/noise started right away when I felt something wrong with the car. The Engine light came on the next time I drove it (day or two later). Whats weird is the hissing only happens when I accelerate while driving (in gear). Parked in my driveway in neutral I don't hear that hissing at all, even when I rev up the engine slowly. Still, I'm thinking this is the cause, or definitely one of them. Also, does anyone know where that hose connects to?
Old 08-27-2012, 04:04 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by XI584
So I think I found something, and did a bit more research. I have come to the conclusion that maybe there is something wrong with my exhaust, which created pressure and popped off the hose or hoses on the EGR tube.

I found what seems to be a missing tube (see the plug?):

I don't see a dangling tube so maybe it got popped off completely. It's definitely in an uncomfortable place to work. I have had the car for two weeks, and I don't know any mechanics in Orlando. I have a Midas 2 blocks from my house so I may go have them take a look at it, see if they can't put a new hose on there. Next time I'm in Miami I will have a mechanic I trust take a look at the exhaust system and what not. What you think, am I on the right track?
It's the upstream hose for the EGR DPF (Differential Pressure Feedback) sensor, as in:

"*Upstream hose is disconnected"

See the other hose right by there, follow it upward the the DPF sensor and you will find a nipple on the inboard side of the sensor--that's where the other end of the missing hose connects...

Last edited by cliffyk; 08-27-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:47 PM
XI584

Cliffy you the man. I am on my way to the auto parts store in a few to grab a high temp emissions hose and reconnect that thing myself. Might grab a snap tie and tie it to something too, in case it ever decides it wants to come off again. So far its gone from an "oh god whats wrong with my car" to a simple do it yourself fix thanks to you guys. Lets hope this is all that's wrong. Many thanks again guys. I will make sure to post once its fixed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hissing/rattling under Acceleration w/ Check engine soon light on