4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Interupted firmware update and stock tune upload car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Default Interupted firmware update and stock tune upload car won't start

attempting to data log, i tried returning to stock, realized my fuel pump fuse was still in, having to remove it in the past, i stopped it, removed the fuse, as my girlfriend started the firmware update, in which i thought i could stop before it started, which i could not. Now my tuner is blank, my car is halfway returned to stock as when you hit the key the fans come on as its getting tuned, and it will not start.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:31 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

As you have found you should NEVER stop the PCM flashing process, and have almost certainly "bricked" the PCM.

SCT may be able to help, give them a call. If not it's "take it to a Ford dealer" time, they can force flash it back to stock with the IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System)...
Old 08-28-2012, 06:05 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Just a side note...after the tune installed the first time. The car wouldnt ever start in stock. No details on why or how. When u say "bricked" as in....need of replacement? So im sure i will need an sct replacement, send it off. Reset it. Send it back. Assume i will upload last working tune i recieved. Try again. And if nothing....dealer for a force flash.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Bad choice of words. It is possible the PCM is permanently damaged, or more correctly the EEPROM that holds the tune is damaged, however I have only seen that a couple times.

Most likely it just needs to be force fed. All consumer level tuners first perform a check to ensure that the currently loaded tune is readable and has the proper checksum, if not they will refuse to load a new tune.

The Delta Force interface can be loaded with a "magic bullitt" to overrides that check and allow end-user force feeding of a tune, however I do not know if the SCT units have that capability. They will know...
Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Sick to my stomach. Guna put murpheys law on the license plate dude. Ive made every mistake in the book on this thing. Ugh. Ill b calling sct asap. Ill get back yo you with an update
Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Why were you trying to return to stock? The problems you have been having would need to be data logged with the tune for your blower setup. That tuner you went to should take the car and get it running correctly and give it back to you, this whole situation is kinda crappy man, the car should of never been given back to you like that in the first place. If they aren't willing to help you I would take this car to a different tuner, BUT you need to make sure your ECU isn't fried at this point like Cliffy mentioned.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:47 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

right. Now i have to send my sct and the pcm to SCT. See what they can recover as they aren't able to do anything remotely. If they can't recover it, its new pcm time. Cliffy, isnt this one of the things we were talking about being a limitation and an expensive upgrade? If i have to replace it, i may as well upgrade it right? ugh, I'm hating life. This is a two year project of death. Feel like torching the car and buying a 10 speed. What an adventure
Old 08-28-2012, 12:31 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

PCMs are not that expensive, they are all over eBay for $100 to $125 or so. You will need to know your boxcode (catch code).

It will likely be one of these:

GGL4
HPP4
JZP4
KFF4
LLX4
ZXA4
PCL4
DDX4
BBS4
GZY0
GZY1
GZY2
NXX0
NXX2
TTZ2
YYY0
CCA1
GMX0

The PCM should have a sticker with the boxcode on it.

There is also a strategy code, that is sometimes on the PCM label, it will most likely be CDAN4. If so then any CDAN4 strategy PCM will work.

You are fortunate that your '96 has the PATS type A in which the whole system is in a self-contained module so there should be no PATS issues...

Last edited by cliffyk; 08-28-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM
wifes pony
1st Gear Member

Lord a mighty, I van understand it...I think. But what a load a crap. I reckon those of us, where everythingis gellan, all hail!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

So before you stated that i may be overriding the limits of my computer, and its an expensive route to go, you didn't think I would want to do that unless i had to. I assume that since the pcm is cheap, this is one of the many pieces involved in upgrading my car's electronics to handle the power, OR, not part of it at all.

Quick Reply: Interupted firmware update and stock tune upload car won't start