4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

99-04 hood scoop functional?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 06:17 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

CliffyK takin everyone to school!
Old 04-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but after reading that article would it mean that the Mach 1 shaker hood is non-functional? Well non-functional in a sense that you don't really gain anything from the air that's being pushed through the shaker. I'm was wondering because I actually thought about making the hood scoop functional by fabricating a similar system that the Mach 1 uses but from using the stock GT hood and scoop. After reading that article however, it was a bit discouraging that after putting that time and effort it would've been all for naught. Good thing I searched around before just spearheading it.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:19 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I've read the ram air effect doesn't really do much. If nothing else it looks cool, and it's a good place to draw cool air from.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:00 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Correct. The Mach 1 doesn't really add anything with the scoop. Especially when you factor in all the extra turns and bends it passes through.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

That's quite disappointing. I'm guessing when people take off their headlight doesn't really do anything either lol.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:55 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Depends what you are doing it for. Headlight removal usually goes hand in hand with an open filter element directly behind it. You're drawing in fresh outside air instead of having to suck it in from the fender or hot air from under the hood. It's a good trick if you are to the point of wanting every little detail covered. Most of the time, it's not a weak point.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:47 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by Subbz
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but after reading that article would it mean that the Mach 1 shaker hood is non-functional? Well non-functional in a sense that you don't really gain anything from the air that's being pushed through the shaker. I'm was wondering because I actually thought about making the hood scoop functional by fabricating a similar system that the Mach 1 uses but from using the stock GT hood and scoop. After reading that article however, it was a bit discouraging that after putting that time and effort it would've been all for naught. Good thing I searched around before just spearheading it.
The Mach 1 hood scoop system is still fully functional even if it may not be as efficient as one may think. It still draws in air versus the nonfunctional scoops on the 99-04 GTs and sixxers that do not draw in air.

The Mach 1 scoop system looks cool and I wouldn't mind if my car had it though.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:24 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Subbz
Cooler air is always good, however there is no "ram air effect" for the reasons stated in the article I posted--also the benefit of having an intake tract that is as straight as possible, and shaped to minimise/eleiminate harmonic standing wave interactions far outweighs any benefit of the Mach I shaker scoop.

Looks cool as Hell though...
Old 04-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Correct. The Mach 1 doesn't really add anything with the scoop. Especially when you factor in all the extra turns and bends it passes through.
You are factually incorrect. According to Mach 1 program manager Scott Hoag, his team had to prove a performance benefit before Ford would sign off on the shaker.

The shaker does function and it provides a small but measurable increase in performance above 80 MPH. Well, at least that was the lie told to the magazines, Ford bean counters and me when I asked Mr. Hoag. Let's not forget that the "performance benefit" was quantified on a drag strip during a Mustang show by making a couple of passes with the shaker open and blocked off. Bean counters are not familiar with testing under controlled, repeatable conditions.

When Cliffy says, "there is no ram air effect," the dead insects on my air filter directly opposite the ram air tube would ask for further clarification. They would argue getting captured by the shaker, and shoved through a convoluted, circuitous route past harmonic standing standing waves only to be simultaneously smashed against the gauze and metal of my C&L air filter and embalmed in a microns thick layer of K&N filter oil certainly qualifies as "ram air effect!"

Besides, you damn well know the last thing those bugs had on their minds was, "Hey, isn't that a real shaker scoop made on the same tooling as the original 1969? Look at the P - effect when the engine is revved...Cool! I wonder if it generates any ram air effect????" SPLAT!!

Whether that makes my car any faster is another question.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 04-27-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:26 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

It's been proven time and time again the shaker doesn't sit high enough to get any ram air / performance gain effect from forcing air in. Bugs will hit your filter due to suction and air flow...has nothing to do with forcing air into the inlet tubing. The only "function" of it is to allow air to get to the filter....same as the fender mounted snorkel all the Mustangs from that generation. Debris gets to the filter via suction/vacuum from the motor, not ram air.

For there to be a performance gain, the scoop needs to sit higher and be enlarged. It also needs to come up with a straight(er) shot into the TB. Without both of those, the Mach 1 shaker is nothing more than a cool looking throw back to the old school Mach 1.

Quick Reply: 99-04 hood scoop functional?