4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

99-04 hood scoop functional?

Old 04-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by LilRoush
It's been proven time and time again the shaker doesn't sit high enough to get any ram air / performance gain effect from forcing air in. Bugs will hit your filter due to suction and air flow...has nothing to do with forcing air into the inlet tubing. The only "function" of it is to allow air to get to the filter....same as the fender mounted snorkel all the Mustangs from that generation. Debris gets to the filter via suction/vacuum from the motor, not ram air.

For there to be a performance gain, the scoop needs to sit higher and be enlarged. It also needs to come up with a straight(er) shot into the TB. Without both of those, the Mach 1 shaker is nothing more than a cool looking throw back to the old school Mach 1.
You seem to be too self-absorbed to recognize self depreciating satire when you read it. Let me give you some clues:

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
The shaker does function and it provides a small but measurable increase in performance above 80 MPH. Well, at least that was the lie told to the magazines, Ford bean counters and me when I asked Mr. Hoag.
Let's not forget that the "performance benefit" was quantified on a drag strip during a Mustang show by making a couple of passes with the shaker open and blocked off. Bean counters are not familiar with testing under controlled, repeatable conditions.
When Cliffy says, "there is no ram air effect," the dead insects .....would argue getting captured by the shaker, and shoved through a convoluted, circuitous route past harmonic standing standing waves only to be simultaneously smashed against the gauze and metal of my C&L air filter and embalmed in a microns thick layer of K&N filter oil certainly qualifies as "ram air effect!" .....

Whether that makes my car any faster is another question.
If you had any decency at all, you would allow deluded Mach 1 owners to feel good about their functional shaker scoops. They're not hurting anybody. Besides, it's just one small white lie/exaggeration. Mach 1 owners are not zombies worshiping at the alter of a dead snake oil selling icon who attempted to sell reproductions of his cars as originals and has hawked everything from men's cologne to chili mix and sued the very club that maintained his popularity for 50 years.

My God, man. It's only a scoop. It's not like we're talking about Lambo doors, or Roush body kits, or shorty antennas, or plastic dipped wheels, or 20" chrome made in China wheels....

Bugs will hit your filter due to suction and air flow...has nothing to do with forcing air into the inlet tubing.
Sometimes I park my car in my driveway, get a chair and watch insects get sucked into my shaker with the engine turned off. I ponder the differences in physics behind sucked in due to suction and air flow and rammed in due to ram air effect and wonder if the smashed insects care.

(Note for the self absorbed pompous reader: That right there was more satire, dummy.)

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 04-27-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Nomad8888
1st Gear Member

Looks cool as Hell though...
Damn straight. I think a lot of people go for that F-16 look. An open mouth or nostrils on the hood also makes it look predatory, which of course appeals to people that drive cars like this. I just wish it performed a function, rather than just being this added on - thing. To me, it's akin to buying those stick-on vents from Auto Zone and plastering them all over the place.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Nomad8888
To me, it's akin to buying those stick-on vents from Auto Zone and plastering them all over the place.
Did you have to bring up our rear brake scoops?

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 04-27-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:36 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

You seem to be too self-absorbed to recognize self depreciating satire when you read it. Let me give you some clues:

....(Note for the self absorbed pompous reader: That right there was more satire, dummy.)

Wow, someone is a little sensative they have a non functional scoop. Name calling? Really? I'm a "dummy"? Are we five?

Anytime you start off by directing the phrase "You are factually inncorrect" towards me, you had better back it up right off the bat. I tried skipping to the next paragraph each time I read something wrong, but everyone starts with something inncorrect. Forgive me for not wasting my time reading the details in rest of your dribble.

As for the other fun little jab you tried to sneak in there about Roush body kits...it solidifies my first impression of you as someone in need of attention to help your self esteem. They are actually real world proven as aerodynamic enhancements that function (much unlike your little plastic bug inlet).

Tell you what, Mr. Sarcasm, you keep your pointless scoop, I'll keep my functional aero and we'll part ways.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:05 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Wow, someone is a little sensative they have a non functional scoop. Name calling? Really? I'm a "dummy"? Are we five?

Anytime you start off by directing the phrase "You are factually inncorrect" towards me, you had better back it up right off the bat. I tried skipping to the next paragraph each time I read something wrong, but everyone starts with something inncorrect. Forgive me for not wasting my time reading the details in rest of your dribble.

As for the other fun little jab you tried to sneak in there about Roush body kits...it solidifies my first impression of you as someone in need of attention to help your self esteem. They are actually real world proven as aerodynamic enhancements that function (much unlike your little plastic bug inlet).

Tell you what, Mr. Sarcasm, you keep your pointless scoop, I'll keep my functional aero and we'll part ways.
That's genuine cast aluminum bug inlet - built on the same tooling as the 1969 cast aluminum bug inlets attached to cars that can sell for over six figures.

"I'll keep my aero?" Ha! Even you don't believe your claims of functional aero.

1998 Roush V8: M112'd 6 speed 1 of 1 made FOR SALE - PM for details

You're no fun at all. Try a case of vodka.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 04-27-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:15 PM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

IMO i love the Old school shaker. It look COOL as hell to me also. The shaker system did not just come on the mustang , but also other ford cars in the 60th, 70th. I bought my car in 02, i did not want a trophy/trailer car Bullitt,Cobra, etc. So, i got a GT to be a DD.When the Mach started using the shaker.I knew the aftermarket would soon follow up on it. I installed the CDC shaker kit on my car.I know it is cosmetic, but as everyone say, it is so cool.
Attached Thumbnails 99-04 hood scoop functional?-blue-hi-temo-hoses-001.jpg  

Last edited by 96t-bird; 04-27-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by 96t-bird
I knew the aftermarket would soon follow up on it. I installed the CDC shaker kit on my car.I know it is cosmetic, but as everyone say, it is so cool.
Well, maybe not everybody. Shakers seem to upset some Roush owners. You know, the guys with functional aero body kits.

By the way CDC preceded the market. They built the first 2002 mach 1 for Ford to gauge public reaction.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 04-27-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Aright enough squabbling people. We get that the shaker is not as "functional" as it should be and we can all agree it does look pretty damn cool just sitting there.

In any case, there is no such thing or benefits to be gained from the "ram air" effect, but there's actual benefit from having more cool air? So with that in mind is there still some sort of benefit from having some sort of functional scoop or anything that can draw in cooler air and is it worth the trouble? Would the gains be minimal that it's not even noticeable? Sorry for the flurry of questions, I'm just trying to understand this a little bit better.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Subbz
In any case, there is no such thing or benefits to be gained from the "ram air" effect, but there's actual benefit from having more cool air? So with that in mind is there still some sort of benefit from having some sort of functional scoop or anything that can draw in cooler air and is it worth the trouble? Would the gains be minimal that it's not even noticeable? Sorry for the flurry of questions, I'm just trying to understand this a little bit better.
If Ford engineers spent hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of dollars building a functional ram air shaker system with no benefits except for ducting insects onto the air filter, I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something better. Don't forget to put a couple of CobraJet emblems on it.

To answer your question, I have driven my Mach 1 with the shaker and inlet removed on several occasions for a total of over 100 miles , most of those at highway speeds. (I have to remove the shaker to refill the engine coolant at the crossover pipe between the heads and then have to go through several heat/cool/top off cycles.) There is no noticeable performance loss with the shaker completely removed from the car. With 20lbs less to carry around, it's probably faster!

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 04-27-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

If Ford engineers spent hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of dollars building a functional ram air shaker system with no benefits except for ducting insects onto the air filter, I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something better. Don't forget to put a couple of CobraJet emblems on it.

To answer your question, I have driven my Mach 1 with the shaker and inlet removed on several occasions for a total of over 100 miles , most of those at highway speeds. (I have to remove the shaker to refill the engine coolant at the crossover pipe between the heads and then have to go through several heat/cool/top off cycles.) There is no noticeable performance loss with the shaker completely removed from the car. With 20lbs less to carry around, it's probably faster!
No need for the sarcasm. I asked a legitimate question and I was under the impression that from what people have said there's not much benefit to any ram air scoops or any type of shaker system. It's not that I'm trying to out do whatever the ford engineers have done, I'm just trying to find a way to make the non "functional" hood scoops that the gt came with functional. Functional is in quotes because it seems relative which seems like it can be taken as two different things depending on who you're talking to. No need to be hostile as I'm not trying to take jabs at the mach 1. I actually like them a lot better than the cobra. Just remember you guys have the 4 valve 300hp engine over our 2v ;-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99-04 hood scoop functional?