4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

UPR coil overs vs MM coil overs

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Default UPR coil overs vs MM coil overs

I posted this in suspension, but I think I'll get a few more hits here.

Hey all,

I will be going coil over front and back. I am not doing a full K and tube arms. I already have Cobra arms that I got new a couple years ago for half what they want now. I am using them for the stiffer bushing. The question I have is whether or not the MM and Bilstein set up is worth the extra $600 over the UPR set up with Strange on all 4 corners. The UPR rears only take Strange or Lakewoods, I do not want the lakewoods.

I will also have MM LCA's and adjustable UPR UCA's on the rear and MM sfc.

No drag racing, no track road racing. I want to keep a somewhat comfortable ride and get into some twisties on the weekend, not really pushing to limit.

Any input on the components or set up will be welcomed.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Do the MM coilvers for the rear use stock mounting locations for the shocks? I would maybe consider staying with the stock style spring setup and just get a good quality set of springs and a nice quality set of shocks and struts and be done, if you dont plan on racing it and just want a comfortable ride that might be your best bet, maybe even look into an IRS swap for the back, sounds like something that would fit your needs well.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Thanks,
MM doesnt say anything about relocation so I am assuming they use stock mounting points.

I thought that coil overs would give me a big jump in handling, and still keep it relatively comfy with proper spring rates. How noticeable was the handling diff when you did your coil overs? I have been looking into the irs swap, but I am not finding any cheap rears. They are all around $1000 - $1800, NY I guess. Then the be-bush etc makes it a lot more expensive.

I am not stuck on coil overs, I just thought that it was a bigger gain than springs and struts/shocks. I have a set of Ford B-springs, they drop about 1" front and back. All I would need are some good struts.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:13 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I don't really know how my handling is, my cars set up to go straight. But im sure with the coilovers it will improve handling but its also going to increase NVH, and for just a street car that u wanna hit twisties with, but not hit them at the limit of the car, and IRS and a good set of dampners and springs should be all you need.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:09 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

The quality of the MM stuff over UPR is def worth the money.

As for handling on a street car, there might be cheaper options unless you really want the adjustability of coilovers. A good set of lower control arms out back, a matched set of progressive rate springs and dampers and you're handling will really wake up without killing your ride quality.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Armydad
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush

As for handling on a street car, there might be cheaper options unless you really want the adjustability of coilovers. A good set of lower control arms out back, a matched set of progressive rate springs and dampers and you're handling will really wake up without killing your ride quality.

I have MM lowers and UPR adjustable uppers with Heim on axle side for the rear.

I also have cobra a arms and Ford B springs ( progressive rate). I was going to install this stuff with a good set of Dampners, Koni or bilstein. I wanted to go coil over instead because I didn't think this set up would make that much of a diff. But now just doing coil overs without K member and arms is turning into a pain in the ***. I may take your suggestion and just add some good dampners to the parts I already have waiting and see how that works. Uberstang also mentioned I might be better off doing this. If I need more I know about The irs swap and MM k kit etc.

I was going to go Bilstein, do you think they are overkill for my purposes? Would I be better off with Koni STR, or a Tokiko? I dont mind spending money here, but I dont want to over do and waste either.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2012, 06:24 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by LilRoush

If by quality you mean over weight and overkil sure. The upr stuff works fine, even with 1000 horsepower cars slapping rear bumpers off the ground and all the weight in the front pounding back on the ground.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:40 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by uberstang1
If by quality you mean over weight and overkil sure. The upr stuff works fine, even with 1000 horsepower cars slapping rear bumpers off the ground and all the weight in the front pounding back on the ground.
Agreed. UPR coilovers work well. Plus they're Made in America and they carry a Lifetime Guarantee.