4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Serious inquiry on building up my Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Default Serious inquiry on building up my Mustang

This is a very long read, but I am very serious about doing this. I am looking for anyones/all help or someone to take me under their wing and point me in the right directions to get it done right!

On my last time out to the slope I had an urge for more power, something more luxuries. I thought about buying a 2013 Shelby, even went out and test drove one, and had a great deal for a cash buy, but there was to many things that I didn't like for me to justify taking a chunk of cash out like that. So I started thinking about a build, not something with 650HP but it would be ideal to have 450rwhp to 500rwhp and upgrade almost every last thing on the inside and out. money isn't an issue, but I think it's best I just don't touch what I have in savings and just pay per paycheck (save each one). I won't start this until at the latest of February.

Not to sure how to really start this next part so here it goes! Forgive me of my lack of knowledge, noobness!

I want my car to be pretty rock solid, I want to make sure everything is very capable of handling 500rwhp, not a "well it can handle it" And I have NO idea what it takes to build a car to handle this. It is also just going to be a street car, it will probably NEVER see a track, I just don't enjoy it. I do know that I want a t56 transmission, heads, headers, cams, intake manifold, pulley, throttle body/plenum, bigger injectors (not sure how big?), bigger fuel pump? Some people say I need to rebuild my rear end and my motor. Like I said i'm not very car savy and have no clue when it comes to most of this. What else would I need to handle this power? Brand names of the parts you would recommend and prices are also a BIG help. I also have really no idea what the cost would be, even though I said money isn't any issue, i'd like to try and not spend more than what is needed.

I also have a question about super chargers, when ever I search around for kits I always see Vortec, or pro charger ( I think those are the main two, feel free to add more) I am wondering if these are just different companies or a totally different set up? What would you recommend for a kit? Or should I put one together?

I always see kits ranging from $3500 to $5500 with no real clue as to why the huge price difference with no clear "oh yeah I see why". I also hear people saying on here that I could get a good kit for $1,500 to $2,500, but I am one to believe you get what you pay for. I have also considered a used SC but I have horrible luck when it comes to anything used, would you guys of MF recommend buying new or used? Why or why not?

Intercoolers, I know that these are pretty important, and I see that about half the kits come with them. Would you recommend buying one without and buying a better one rather than one that comes in a kit?

Transmission question! a t56 is a 6 speed correct? should I or can I put 4:10 gears in it? Can I buy these new? Or only used? If used, is there anything I should look out for? Should I rebuild it?

I honestly can say I have hundreds of questions to ask you all, but for now I feel this is a good start. I realize that I am going into this thing pretty blind and unknowing but I hope there are some who would be willing to be apart of this build and share your knowledge. I am also looking for anyone who would be willing to let me bug you through PM about a lot of other things (like I said above, to take me under your wing)

My ideal plan would to be to put a t56 tranny in right away and start adding cams, heads and other support mods to handle 500rwhp then add the big power add on's at last (the SC)

For those who have done an extensive build, what would you say the cost will be? I will probably have one of the big time shops here work on some of it, and try my hand at installing other things but lets just say 75% is going to be done at a shop. I would LOVE to try my hand at doing it all, and I may very well do so with the help of some friends, but after working 2 weeks 12-16 hour days of looking at mechanical stuff and fixing it, I am not afraid to say that I hate doing it when I don't have to.

I realize there is probably some of you who feel I should try and do my own research, which I have done a ton of, but I am still left with more questions than answers. I am looking for all advice and tips! I'll even take the unwanted stuff that comes with it all! Haha

Thank you to all who can help me! Your time is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Doyon; 09-14-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:10 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

I've done a lot of good builds.. for myself (see sig and that's not all of them) and have helped others..

First off, do you really like your car or something? The reason I'm saying this is have you thought about just selling it, picking up a termi.. It doesn't take much to turn 500+rwhp..

Not saying you can't do it to your car but it will be easier, and maybe even cheaper to sell yours and grab an already modded termi that fits your liking or a bare bones one and add a couple goodies to it.. There are plenty of people out there selling some that have 600+hp with SC swaps.. It's really up to you, if your car has some sentimental value or something than I get it.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:46 AM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Trex, thanks for the response. I have looked into Termi's, and countless other high end cars (as well as the Shelby)

I honestly have this sentimental value of the car that I just can't explain, it's not like I have some great big history with it, it's just something about it, I will probably keep the Stang for as long as I possibly can. I also just can't see myself buying a car 90% or even 100% finished, I'd love to see my own transform into something of my own. To know the ins and outs of it when it's all done.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Alright that's completely understandable.. I've been there with my WRX and my RX7.. It was a pain but I loved those cars..

500rwhp isn't too hard to achieve (with some money of course).. What are your intentions with the car? Do you want a relatively tame car to drive on the streets (nice flat power band).. or something that is built more for a strip and wont see the street much?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:15 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Yeah. Lets get your end goals here. Nasty street car. Drag car. A nice 500hp solid power car dailey driver type thing. Are you against a whole new motor swap...03 cobra block 4v or you want to beef the gt motor up and get what you can. I have a 96 cobra. 03 short block with my 96 heads intake etc. With a f1a series procharger. If said this before and ill say it again. This is just me. However...man if i could go back and do it again i would have bout a long block. Dropped it in and.enjoyed the car. Working on 2years now and its still barely driveable. Big long committing job.

Gears go in the rear end. Not the trans. This depends on what type of charger you get and if your going auto or manual. To much gear ull just burn the tires off with a twin screw bower. Not enough gear with a centri blower...you will hurt on the take off but wind you out in the long haul.

If the car will never see the track...why 500? Just reread and saw that. Im not sure if i would bother with the trans at 500hp unless i had to. Then again im not sure which one you have. I am wondering if you just throw in all your bolt ons open the exhaust. Put in some gears....youd be happy. If your not running on the track and certainly shouldnt be street racing as thats the fastest way to make your car a paper weight. Id start small and beef up what you have. Youd be suprised the difference gears and throttle body cold air intake. Exhause. Alum. Drive shaft. Get a good rear susp. Setup. I mean really. But.....your car

Last edited by disposablehero27; 09-15-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Disposal, I am not against doing any type of motor swap! I am willing to do anything within reason. The reason I would change the trans is because it has over 130k miles and my syncros are starting to go bad. I would feel much better just switching the old t45 (I think thats it?) for a nicer t56.

Also my car already has 4:10 gears, CAI, an exhaust system, BBK throttle body (not sure what size so i'd just swap it), and it has a suspension set up from hell (previous owner had it as a track car).

The car does have a lot of get up and go for even today's standards, but I grew up driving 650HP + cars at 15 and a half. I know I could easily with out a doubt drive a car with 700RWHP on the streets and be fine, but I think my taste buds would be happy with just 500RWHP for the time being anyways haha.

EDIT:And i'll throw it out there one more time, this is just a street car, I have ZERO intentions of taking it to a track, not because I want to be some big street racer, but I rather enjoy cruising the town in my car knowing it has the get up and go whenever I want/need it, within the safest situation that I can get.

Last edited by Doyon; 09-15-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:01 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

The question being though is how do you want the car to be setup? A 500hp street car isn't too bad to build, but if your plans are to track the car and drive it really hard at a strip well now you gotta look into a few more things.. Good to know that the suspension is already done, any clue on what's involved in it?

As for swapping, that is one way.. Another is buying a built 2V shortblock or even having yours built.. (i'd feel safer buying a build shortblock)... Getting your heads nice and cleaned and polished up. Porting isn't required but couldn't hurt if you have the money.. Next thing is your choice of how you want it to drive. If you want something where you can easily adjust boost and keep it tame and then crank it up for a pass or race then a turbo is good to go. If you want all around nice power band you can't go wrong with a roots or twin screw.. If you want an easy install and reliable boost that's cheaper then a centrifigul is good.

I personally enjoy turbos for built blocks just because you have so much more control over it. However for normal driving a twin screw or a roots is perfect IMO.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Doyon I was kinda in the same boat you are. I went through two stock short blocks and less than ten months and was not going down that road again. I put the goal out there for my car. 500 RWHP. To reach that goal I knew the stock block wasn't gonna cut it, so I purchased just in the last 5 mths, a teksid block, diamond racing pistions, MHS stage II blower cams, Flowtech LT's (given to me), and next month I will be installing a vic jr intake, 6061 plenum and edelbrock fuel rails (thxs for the advice on that one guys). With 11-12 psi I should be sitting close to 450 + to the rear wheels. TRexGawd hit it on the money about the heads.. That's exactly what I will be doing once I return from Korea. That should put me right at or around 500 or so. If you're really interested in getting this thing done, your best bet would be buying a short block and getting it built. That way you can still drive your car and once you've completed your project slap her in there. You can find a teksid block, rods, pistions, SC setup, etc., etc., on corral.net or even the MF classified for little or nothing. GL!

Last edited by Soldier GT; 09-15-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:38 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

i say this vvv
http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-SVT-FO...99b5ae&vxp=mtr
Old 09-15-2012, 02:58 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by school boy
Wow, good find.. I might buy me a high mileage new edge and buy this as well and have me a winter project.. .hmmmm

Quick Reply: Serious inquiry on building up my Mustang