4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 4v woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 PM
russchessnut

Default 4.6 4v woes

I'm tired. I did a favor for My Nephew and bough His '96 Cobra for payoff $4,000
It ran had oil pressure but had a knock. WRONG!!!
It had spun 6 out of 8 rod brgs, and the mains were on the verge of locking up. Use Motor $3800 with 139,000 miles so I decided to rebuild.
Took block, crank and heads to Monarch who I have been doing business with for 40 years. Bored .030 crank .010 & .010 heads pressure tested and rebuilt rods redone and shot peened. All new Ford Bolts, mains, rods, cross bolts and head bolts. Started right away sounds GREAT but sfter 50 miles water in the oil. Back apart and rechecked for cracks new gaskets and bolts and same thing. water in oil in the water. Has anyone ever run into an oil cooler leaking internally? I want to sell the car and I know I am going to lose a lot of money on it but I also want it right for who ever buys it. any help Please or does any one want to buy as is. Al parts in motor are new. Pistons & rings oil pump timing chains, guides and tensioners water pump. 114,000 miles on body and it is nice inside and out. I have $8,000 in this car and I hope Some one can help Me decide where to turn. Thank You All, Perplexed
Old 09-24-2012, 03:50 PM
rocket22
1st Gear Member

Default part it out?

Maybe you can get some cash that way. Car sounds beat, I would have done a swap.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:45 PM
mustang_bluemustle

I had a similar problem with my 96 GT. But mine had oil in the radiator & water in the oil. Mine had an oil cooler. I took the oil cooler out & replaced it with a unit from a crown victoria. The oil filter adapter I got from the Victoria didnt have an oil cooler but it bolted right into my block & Im pretty sure it will bolt into yours too. You should try this & see if it works. Check this link too: http://forums.corral.net/forums/gt-s...r-housing.html . Good luck.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:28 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Another one for the oil filter adapter plate gasket and the 4V most definitely has it.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:46 PM
russchessnut

Default 4.6 4v Woes

Originally Posted by mustang_bluemustle
I had a similar problem with my 96 GT. But mine had oil in the radiator & water in the oil. Mine had an oil cooler. I took the oil cooler out & replaced it with a unit from a crown victoria. The oil filter adapter I got from the Victoria didnt have an oil cooler but it bolted right into my block & Im pretty sure it will bolt into yours too. You should try this & see if it works. Check this link too: http://forums.corral.net/forums/gt-s...r-housing.html . Good luck.
This sounds like a Great idea. I will try this and at least it will tell Me if the cooler is the problem. I have no water in the oil, just oil in the water and it gets so thick that the thermostat won't open and it happens in just 25 or 30 miles. Thanks for the idea, I never would have thought of trying this!!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:49 PM
russchessnut

I could have just bought a Rousch 1,000 HP motor for $9,900 in Florence, Ky. I don't think I would be any broker LOLOF
Old 09-25-2012, 02:54 PM
russchessnut

Originally Posted by rocket22
Maybe you can get some cash that way. Car sounds beat, I would have done a swap.
The car is VERY clean but it has Nitrous and I think My Nephew was giving it to much go juice. It was FRIED but I wanted the engine to be right.
I thought just a crank job but it turned out that it had to be bored and that is where I should have stopped!!! No, not Me I am going to do this right LOL.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 AM
mustang_bluemustle

Yes. Now that you mentioned oil in the cooling system I'm pretty sure its your oil cooler. It only takes around 1 hour to swap at the most.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 PM
russchessnut

I have a oil filter adapter on the way off a Lincoln just to try it. I am pretty sure that this is My problem. What do You think about the aftermarket oil cooler kits? They are less then $200 where the original Ford cooler is $450. Thank You every one for Your input.
I am in Northern Kentucky, anyone know someone that may be interested in this car? After I get it fixed of course. I will have to replace the A/C compressor as it locked up on Me. Thanks again, Russ. I will keep You posted as to the fix
Old 09-27-2012, 07:21 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

When the motor knocked what did u expect besides a spun bearing? You can get a seal for the oil cooler mine went bad on my 97 4v