4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Looking to buy a 98-2003 GT! What should I look for?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:12 AM
sickofstupidity

Default Looking to buy a 98-2003 GT! What should I look for?

In the next two weeks I will be purchasing a mustang. The market here in Charleston, South Carolina is overpriced and so I will probably have to go to Florida or Georgia because the inventory seems to be plentiful and the prices better. I do not want to get burnt because I have to go out of town to get this so I wonder what should be on guard for when it comes to picking a peach of a mustang.

Also mileage?
GT or Bullitt?

I see some New Edge mustangs have different hoods. Some look like they have an enhanced breather on the hood. What's the difference?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:11 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sickofstupidity
In the next two weeks I will be purchasing a mustang. The market here in Charleston, South Carolina is overpriced and so I will probably have to go to Florida or Georgia because the inventory seems to be plentiful and the prices better. I do not want to get burnt because I have to go out of town to get this so I wonder what should be on guard for when it comes to picking a peach of a mustang.

Also mileage?
GT or Bullitt?

I see some New Edge mustangs have different hoods. Some look like they have an enhanced breather on the hood. What's the difference?
I have very strong negative opinions on the Bullitt so unless you really want to hear them then ehhh..

As for picking out a right car, well that comes down to what you are looking for. What do you want? DD? Fun car that you can modify or already has mods..

And as far as the hoods, none of the GT hoods serve an actual function, they are just for show so if you want a specific style that is up to you...

Also, you listed 98 in the title, those are not new edges by the way.. And have you considered a 98-99 Cobra? They go for fairly cheap these days and have a pretty good base to have some fun with. (DOHC 4.6)
Old 09-29-2012, 12:18 PM
sickofstupidity

@TRex I need a daily driver and I am going to want to add some mods to it as well. I haven't really seen any 98-99 cobras. My price range is 6k or below. Could I find one for that?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:45 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Hmm, probably not for under 6K.. You should be able to find a fairly clean GT though for that price range.. Or even better yet (IMO) a really nice 5.0.. I know plenty of people that DD their 5.0s and get decent mileage too..
Old 09-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I doubt it (very seriously) you're gonna find a 99-03 GT (in good condtion) for 6 grand. 96-98 a possiblity. I would think a 94-95 GT would be more in your price range. GL!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:17 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
I doubt it (very seriously) you're gonna find a 99-03 GT (in good condtion) for 6 grand. 96-98 a possiblity. I would think a 94-95 GT would be more in your price range. GL!
Out here in GA, FL, and even SC it's a bit cheaper than most places so it's possible.. One good thing about living in the south, ha..

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...22995585&Log=0

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...11810604&Log=0
Old 09-29-2012, 02:21 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Dang I stand corrected.. Those are some good prices. Around here they would try to get at least 9 grand for either of the two. I really like the gray one. Looks sharp!
Old 09-29-2012, 02:26 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Dang I stand corrected.. Those are some good prices. Around here they would try to get at least 9 grand for either of the two. I really like the gray one. Looks sharp!
Yeah that's the awesome thing here.. You can find great prices but that also means resale sucks if you live here!.. It's great for people out of state. Even when I lived in NM, I picked up my Cobra and RX7 from Florida for a hell of a lot cheaper than I would have anywhere else..
Old 09-29-2012, 02:46 PM
sickofstupidity

Yeah thanks TRex I have been scouting prices for about a month now. 5k-6k gets me some good looking GT's. I am wondering what I should be looking for mechanically wise, I mean when I get there and up the hood. Also, should I go with a private seller as opposed to a dealer. The reason I ask is because I have noticed that owner sellers have upgraded their vehicles.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:49 PM
sickofstupidity

@Soldier yeah I have seen some pretty sweet GT's for the price.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 98-2003 GT! What should I look for?