4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Blew a spark plug and COP clean out of the head

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Any guess for the shop's repair cost? I'm assuming the cylinder head/valves are alright, and that the time-sert is an hour job, so I'm hoping it comes in around $125 ($75 labor, $50 parts/tool use).
Old 10-16-2012, 09:55 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Which cylinder is it? The difficultly of getting a straight shot at the plug bore will be a factor.

I think $125 is low, twice that would not surprise me. It's one of those $20 to do the job--$200 for having the tools and experience to do it--sort of things...
Old 10-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Which cylinder is it? The difficultly of getting a straight shot at the plug bore will be a factor.

I think $125 is low, twice that would not surprise me. It's one of those $20 to do the job--$200 for having the tools and experience to do it--sort of things...
Cylinder 7, seemed like relatively easy access. In hindsight, I should have had the car towed to my house and purchased a time-sert kit (although it was a tough call at 1am when I didn't know the extent of the damage).

I had issues trying to limp the car home on 7 cylinders (after unplugging the injector). Not sure if I have the option to pass on having the mechanic do the work, as it's a 3.5 mile journey from shop to home.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:03 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

#7 should not be too bad, it's a good straight shot.

The Timesert kit is $400, it comes with the special reamer needed for Romeo PI heads, all other needed drills and reamers, and 5 inserts
Old 10-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

I ended up purchasing the kit and 5 additional inserts. The shop and the local distributor didn't have it in stock, figured I could sell it on ebay for $300+ once I'm done. Here is the game plan after talking with the mechanic (and requesting a NYS inspection), just waiting on his estimate:

- Suggested doing all 8 cylinders with time-serts. I'm not opposed to this (as I torqued them all down wrong), and as I will already have the tool. I'll have to see his cost for doing the labor though, I may just end up having him do the #7 cylinder and I'll do the others on my own time.

- Rear pinion seal is leaking, seems like a staight forward swap out. Might as well have them do it while it's on the lift. What really bugs me is Mustang Magic down on Long Island just replaced it while doing my gears 3-4 months ago. Grrr...

- Rear driver side brake caliper leaking - I noticed the past couple weeks I got a low brake fluid light even after refilling it. Narrowed the problem down myself last week at the track (saw quick a lot of smoke from that area after braking). I'm assuming I should be replacing both rear calipers?

Quite the bill starting to add up!!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Little overview of the work planned over the next couple days:

By shop:
- Time-sert repair to cylinders (at least the #7 cylinder)
- Rear pinion seal replacement
- Coolant flush

Myself:
- Front brakes (Pads, rotors, stainless steel lines)
- Rear brakes (Calipers and stainless steel lines)
- Brake flush (and replacement with DOT5.1 fluid)
Old 10-17-2012, 09:39 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Cliff what torque setting do you go with, I know on my 4v ford calls for 10-15 ft-lbs. I always use a inch pound TW and go to 15 foot pounds with some anti seize. On a cold engine.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:39 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Have you got the bore scope yet? I am hoping those bits of molten metal on the plug are from the plug bore, not the piston...
Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Cliff what torque setting do you go with, I know on my 4v ford calls for 10-15 ft-lbs. I always use a inch pound TW and go to 15 foot pounds with some anti seize. On a cold engine.
I have been using a torque-limiting socket since last year:

It clicks over quite reliably at 14.5 lb-ft making plug installation as snap (no pun intended). FWIW, as it is a torque tool I do not use it to remove the plugs--though the vendor claimed it could be used for that.

Its mechanism and accuracy would not likely be harmed by using it to remove the plugs, it's just not in my nature...
Old 10-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Have you got the bore scope yet? I am hoping those bits of molten metal on the plug are from the plug bore, not the piston...
It's getting here Monday.

Btw, the estimate for the time-sert repair came in around $175, although I'm providing the tool.

Quick Reply: Blew a spark plug and COP clean out of the head