4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Horrible gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:11 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Default Horrible gas mileage

Ok, I just topped off my gas tank and drove about 86 miles round trip to see a guy who specializes in aligning mustangs that are lowered. Upon returning home, I notice my fuel gauge is just under half a tank. This just don't seem right since I made the same trip a couple weeks ago and only used 1/4 of a tank of gas. So I went from 1/4 of a tank to under 1/2 tank in a span of a few weeks. Within the last year, I have replaced my sparkplugs, front 02 sensors and the air filter so all those are basically new and my CEL is not on. ALso, there is no smell of fuel outside of my car so it's not leaking and the car is running good. Do any of you guys have any ideas on whats going on or if I need to replace something? Thanks.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Did you change what kind of gas you're using? i.e. brand?.. Could have been cheap gas... Did you drive it any harder/spirited?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:49 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRexGAWD
Did you change what kind of gas you're using? i.e. brand?.. Could have been cheap gas... Did you drive it any harder/spirited?
Still using the same gas I have used for a while now. And I don't drive it hard unless im at the track and I haven't been there for a couple months now.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:34 PM
TRAVIS87

Wouldn't hurt to change PCV and get some MAF sensor cleaner and clean your MAF. Just saying. My PCV was shot and I was losing around 4 mpg. Don't seem like a lot until you sit and watch that needle drop. PCV costs around $5 and the MAF cleaner is around $6-8 at Autozone. Give 'em a shot, cheap and isn't gonna hurt anything. Have you noticed anything different in how it runs??
Old 10-15-2012, 03:36 PM
TRAVIS87

Originally Posted by TRAVIS87
Wouldn't hurt to change PCV and get some MAF sensor cleaner and clean your MAF. Just saying. My PCV was shot and I was losing around 4 mpg. Don't seem like a lot until you sit and watch that needle drop. PCV costs around $5 and the MAF cleaner is around $6-8 at Autozone. Give 'em a shot, cheap and isn't gonna hurt anything. Have you noticed anything different in how it runs??
Also, the bad PCV wasn't setting off my CEL. Food for thought. Also, there should be a small piece of rubber hose connecting your PCV pipe to your intake plenum. If your gonna replace PCV, might as well replace that hose too.

Last edited by TRAVIS87; 10-15-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:37 PM
huey_33
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRAVIS87
Wouldn't hurt to change PCV and get some MAF sensor cleaner and clean your MAF. Have you noticed anything different in how it runs??
No difference in performance, just likes drinking the gas now. And I forgot to mention I also replaced the PCV last year too.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:55 PM
AutoSeDuctions

FUEL FILTER
Old 10-15-2012, 05:25 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by AutoSeDuctions
FUEL FILTER
How would a bad fuel filter cause it to use more fuel?

============================================
OP, failing but not yet dead from O² sensor(s) could be causing it to run rich, and not throw a DTC. As narrowband O² sensor die they still "switch" making the O² monitor happy, however their output voltage drops which tells the PCM the mix is lean. The PCM will, via the short term fuel trims, make it richer until the sensor reports it seems OK--however it will really be quite rich at that point...

Last edited by cliffyk; 10-15-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:01 PM
TRAVIS87

Originally Posted by cliffyk
How would a bad fuel filter cause it to use more fuel?

============================================
OP, failing but not yet dead from O² sensor(s) could be causing it to run rich, and not throw a DTC. As narrowband O² sensor die they still "switch" making the O² monitor happy, however their output voltage drops which tells the PCM the mix is lean. The PCM will, via the short term fuel trims, make it richer until the sensor reports it seems OK--however it will really be quite rich at that point...
That actually sounds right cliffyk. I'll add on that cleaning the MAF wouldn't hurt either. Kinda like a cheap insurance policy.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I caution against cleaning MAFs for a couple of reasons, one being that I have only very rarely seen any that needed it. Those being generally ones contaminated by snake oil from improperly cleaned and re-oiled cotton gauze filters, those contaminated because the snake-oil soaked cotton filters don't filter air particularly well, and those contaminated because the paper filter had never been changed and fell apart.

The other reason I do not recommend that they be cleaned (unless of course observation proves the sensor is contaminated) is that the sensor is a relatively delicate thing, if improperly or over-zealously "cleaned" they can be broken.

I have never had to clean one on any vehicle we have owned that had a MAF, this is over at least 300k accumulated miles between my wife and I...

Quick Reply: Horrible gas mileage