4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I'll take the risk. Intake question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Nomad8888
1st Gear Member

Default I'll take the risk. Intake question.

So, it appears there are LOTS of choices for CAIs. BBK, JLT, K&N...

I've been on American Muscle's YouTube page watching videos for the past few days and making up a mod list. CAI is on top. I'm thinking about going with a BBK with a tune. The video they have is pretty impressive, and if the numbers they tout are accurate, the gains are hella good. The first question is - "Are they bullshtting me?"

I know this has probably been discussed to death, but I checked the site and I figured I'd ask the question. If you have a BBK, are you satisfied with it? JLT seems to be a nice mod, but doesn't appear to fit well (it appears to rub on other parts). If you've done this mod, what are your thoughts? Suggestions?

The car I just sold is an 05 GTO that came with a K&N. Truth be told, I never knew if the thing gave me any gains on account of the fact I didn't have anything to compare it to. That and the fact that the damn car was like the space shuttle...with wheels.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, whatever I get will be photographed as I install it and added as a thread. I plan on doing several mods, this is just the first.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:49 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nomad8888

I've been on American Muscle's YouTube page watching videos for the past few days and making up a mod list. CAI is on top. I'm thinking about going with a BBK with a tune. The video they have is pretty impressive, and if the numbers they tout are accurate, the gains are hella good. The first question is - "Are they bullshtting me?"

I know this has probably been discussed to death, but I checked the site and I figured I'd ask the question. If you have a BBK, are you satisfied with it? JLT seems to be a nice mod, but doesn't appear to fit well (it appears to rub on other parts). If you've done this mod, what are your thoughts? Suggestions?

The car I just sold is an 05 GTO that came with a K&N. Truth be told, I never knew if the thing gave me any gains on account of the fact I didn't have anything to compare it to. That and the fact that the damn car was like the space shuttle...with wheels.

Thanks in advance!

Oh, whatever I get will be photographed as I install it and added as a thread. I plan on doing several mods, this is just the first.
Just so youre aware, the CAI only yields about 5hp gain. the tune is really where its at.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Nomad8888
1st Gear Member

Just so youre aware, the CAI only yields about 5hp gain. the tune is really where its at.
I was suspicious about that. How do you like your Steeda intake?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

What GT said, you gain most from the tune, and little from the CAI. I have the chrome BBK CAI and it's honesty 99% just for looks,if you have to get one, get one that looks nice.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:05 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

get the most reasonable one but make sure you get the tune its the most important and you'll have a totally new driving experience
Old 10-24-2012, 05:53 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

I was suspicious about that. How do you like your Steeda intake?
i actually love it. Its pricey no doubt, but the looks for under the hood is the best, and not one other brand compares in my opinion. You get a cool "suction" sound when you give it enough throttle. I recommend it with a great tune!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:14 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

CAI dont add any horsepower, they are just for show and draining your wallet.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Nomad8888
1st Gear Member

Definitely good to know. I'll start with the tune then. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Thanks in advance!

Nomad,

There's some information being thrown around that I would be happy to clear up for you. On the 99-04's just a CAI didn't give you to much of a power gain. However you'll still seen gains in 8-10RWHP area and they look/sound great! IMO they're a great product that's reasonably priced, I always go with CAI and Tune on any new car I get. The tune is going to tie everything together and turn your new edge into a beast!

If I had to give you a few recommendations on how to make your new edge into a fun street car. I go with CAI, Tune, Plenum, Mid-pipe and Catback and last but not least a set of gears!

I hope this helps and remember this is just everyone's opinion and experience. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Dan