4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Turbo questions! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 PM
theredone

Default Turbo questions! Help!

First off I wanted to say that even though I don't post much, I have learned a great deal of information off of this Forums, and everyone here seems very friendly! A great forums for the new guy and the veteran!

I used to have a 1999 Mustang gt, but I sold it as it just had to many problems, and I picked up a 2001 Mustang GT! Very nice, only about 86k miles on her!

I would have asked this in the pipes,boost, ect section, but that section seems rather slow... but Mods, feel free to move this if you must!

Onto my questions! I really have no knowledge about Turbos or Super Chargers, so I figured i'd ask here on this great Forums!

I'm currently leaning towards a turbo set up. My first question is this, what is the difference between the twin turbo set up and the single turbo set up? My understanding is that the TT can spool quicker than the Single, but I've also heard that the v8 spools the turbo much quicker than the 4cyl cars. Is there any other differences? Besides size, or the ability to make more power? Which i'm only looking to make 450 to 500.

Upon doing lots of reading it seems that a lot of mustangs only make a little over 300hp to 400ish, on around 6-9PSI, My only thoughts are they are running a stock block/internals and can't afford to risk higher PSI, which would mean more power correct? Or is there another reason?

I've noticed a lack in turbo kits... I've only seen an On3 Turbo kit, which I have found on this forums that they aren't to great to work with, but I see so many people with them. And the Hellion Turbo Kit. I'm all about you get what you pay for, but it seems that so many people buy the On3 kit and do fairly good if you get different injectors. I also just ran into this website and found this turbo kit, but I can't find anything on it. Your thoughts on any of these kits?
http://modularmustangracing.com/

I know I have more questions, but this is all that I could remember!

Thanks fellas!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:25 PM
AJB540
2nd Gear Member

I like how that MMR link directs you through somethings else first.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot, all links here do.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM
theredone

For some reason it'll only take me to the home page, but you just go to products and then scroll down to turbo's.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:10 PM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

hellion turbo
Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 PM
Doyon
3rd Gear Member

Yes a Twin Turbo is supposed to spool faster than a single (spools one then the other so you have power through out the RPMs). I don't know to much about a Turbo'd V8, but i've heard that the V8 engines do Spool the turbos much quicker than the 4cyl. In all honesty I would just go single, most people go single for a higher power output, but there is a tid bit more lag, but IMO not much. Most of your Single Turbo set ups are cheaper and easier to maintain vs the TT as well.

Most people are to cheap to upgrade the block/internals and other things you need to do to get the power you want, so they put the turbo in with low PSI, which means less power. Upgrade the internals, up the PSI, get more power (of course there's more you need to do to gain that power reliably)

I don't know anything about those turbo kits, anyone I know who has gone turbo, has bought things all separately. Pipes are pipes, and the parts to put it all together are pretty basic, i'd be amazed if either of the three kits screw up those two things. But I could see something being wrong with the injectors (atleast from on3) the turbo itself, wastegate, BOV, intercooler, and some of the other main components (maybe not the hellion, looks pretty good). It's pretty confusing, and im starting to confuse myself, been a while since I talked turbo, so I could be a little mixed up.

If your not afraid to try and buy it all separate, the only thing I would worry about forgetting is all the piping and extras to put it together/hold it together. Besides that the rest of the stuff is fairly easy to find and not forget. Talking about this all makes me want to not go a SC route and go turbo.. dammit...
Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

You're gonna be getting yourself into a huge project going turbo, having to do some fabrication and what not. You're also gonna need a new fuel system, and our engines are known the blow up from 400-450whp so 500whp is probably gonna blow your engine somewhere along the line with that power.

The cheapest and a setup that will get you about the same power, but might not reach the same torque would be a centrifugal supercharger, I and many other people have done this build, had success and didnt pay over 2500-3000 bucks
Old 10-24-2012, 09:28 PM
theredone

MC, I would be putting in a longblock, the fuel system, the rear end, tranny, the whole shebang. But this is all stuff I would need to do, even if I went SC. Besides all of that is it really that much of a bigger project than going with say a Vortech? I realize that turbo's are a bit more complicated, but maybe i'm not aware as to by how much..

If you wouldn't mind telling, what would be needed to be fabricated? Seems that for the most part your just hooking it all up, with maybe some minor cuts and bends, to insure proper fitment. I do realize there is probably more to it than just that, but just in general.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:39 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

To put this simply, you will do much much more work, spend much more money for a horsepower number. I will say turbos are general more efficent and tend to make more power, etc etch. but this job is a big deal man. You can slap a procharger on that car, not run any oil return line, no manifold/flange work and get big numbers. going turbo gets much deeper into things. Imagine having to do a whole fuel setup and oil line setup. Just last week i spent $80 on 4 90degree fittings for my fuel system.... just 4. imagine 20/30 for the fuel 10 for an oil return and twin turbo setup. Its going to dollar you to death more than your already under. I'm over 600hp with an intercooled procharger setup. like you, i took on the whole deal, front to back.... glad i did it, glad its over, couldn't imagine the benefit of double the work. Would take me 4 years to complete haha and i would be on here daily asking even more dumb questions that i already do