4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

300 RWHP NA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:32 AM
99TA5.7

Default 300 RWHP NA?

Hey, I'm new here I just registered and I have a question for you guys. First off, I'll give you guys a little backup info : I've always been a Trans Am guy, I've owned an 84 and a 99. Sold the 99 to get a winter beater and a GSXR 600. The bikes fun but I'm missing the muscle cars, so I plan on selling it in the spring and after saving, I should be able to take out a loan and have around $7/8000k to spend on a car.

I've never had a Mustang before but I do like them, I figure this time I'll try something new so Ive been looking into the New Edge's. Question I have is, how hard are they to get to around 300 rwhp NA, and how much $ does it take? Hoping to do it with only bolt-ons, but Idk if thats realistic or not lol.

Since it'd have to be a daily driver, not a toy, I'd be happy with a car I could run low 13's/high 12's in that would be a reliable car to go to school and work with. Coming off a 6-speed LS1, I'd pretty much just like to get into LS1 territory with the Stang. Around my area, Im hoping I could find a clean, 60/70k mile GT for around my price range (7/8k) thats stock or close to it. So pretty much, what would I have to do? Cost? Reliablity? MPG? I can do the easy bolt ons, but as far as heads and cam and stuff go, thatd probably have to go to a shop because I dont have any special tools.

Thanks guys
Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99TA5.7
Hey, I'm new here I just registered and I have a question for you guys. First off, I'll give you guys a little backup info : I've always been a Trans Am guy, I've owned an 84 and a 99. Sold the 99 to get a winter beater and a GSXR 600. The bikes fun but I'm missing the muscle cars, so I plan on selling it in the spring and after saving, I should be able to take out a loan and have around $7/8000k to spend on a car.

I've never had a Mustang before but I do like them, I figure this time I'll try something new so Ive been looking into the New Edge's. Question I have is, how hard are they to get to around 300 rwhp NA, and how much $ does it take? Hoping to do it with only bolt-ons, but Idk if thats realistic or not lol.

Since it'd have to be a daily driver, not a toy, I'd be happy with a car I could run low 13's/high 12's in that would be a reliable car to go to school and work with. Coming off a 6-speed LS1, I'd pretty much just like to get into LS1 territory with the Stang. Around my area, Im hoping I could find a clean, 60/70k mile GT for around my price range (7/8k) thats stock or close to it. So pretty much, what would I have to do? Cost? Reliablity? MPG? I can do the easy bolt ons, but as far as heads and cam and stuff go, thatd probably have to go to a shop because I dont have any special tools.

Thanks guys
I asked the same question. With full bolt ons.. lt's, x pipe, CAI, tune, cams, etc. will put you at about 290ish rwhp. Some people get to 300 depending on the tune you run im guessing. New edge's are quite expensive to mod
Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Convex
2nd Gear Member

Well .. does it take 300rwhp to get the job done? you could take the stock rwhp and regear the car as it free's the engine up to the point of very fast rpm revs and 6500 comes very quick.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:48 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Full bolt on, cams. Still might. Come up short. I look for an 03-04 mach 1 or 96-98 cobra and cam that and yoll be there with more potenoal.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Rohan

Welcome!

Nothing wrong with being an F-body guy. I think you would be happy with a 96-98 Cobra. You can pick them up well within your budget of 7 or 8 thousand and after a few mods and a tune you will be really close to or over your 300 rwhp mark.

I grabbed mine for 4 thousand. Check out my introduction post.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/new-...2-new-guy.html

-Rohan
Old 10-26-2012, 01:08 PM
99TA5.7

Thanks for the replies guys. What about a blower? I wouldnt necessarily be opposed to one, I just dont know much about the mechanics of superchargers. I know you get alot more than 300hp if you stick a supercharger on it, whats the easiest/cheapest set-up if you want to supercharge it? Like I said, i dont know much about them, but I'd imagine as long as you ran a low psi then you could have a reliable set-up.

As for the 96-98 Cobras, I'd rather stick to a new edge. To be honest, I really dont like that body much at all. I know it'd have more potential but I cant justify spending that much money on a car that I dont think looks that good, but just my opinion.

Would I be better off with a Foxbody 5.0? I think those are pretty cool also, would I have more potential for 300whp with the bigger displacement of the 5.0?

Thanks again
Old 10-26-2012, 02:30 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Roller fox, drop in a 347 or 351, have fun or just stick with a 302 and build away.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Rohan

Originally Posted by Gt04
Roller fox, drop in a 347 or 351, have fun or just stick with a 302 and build away.

Agreed

If you're going to buy a GT and throw a blower on it then you have a lot of work to do and a lot of money to invest. There's a lot more to just sticking a blower on. You need internals that can handle the boost. If you're on a 7/8k budget then I'm not sure you're going to make the mark supercharging a New Edge car. Since you don't like the SN-95 cars I would go with a Fox body. You can get them cheap and build them up strong like Gt04 said.

-Rohan
Old 10-26-2012, 04:05 PM
99TA5.7

^ A foxbody may be my best bet. I like the new edge's more and being almost 15 years newer, I'd probably have less issues with one, but If I cant get to the 300rwhp mark after doing full bolt-ons (probably around $5k), then a foxbody would probably my next best bet.

Ive actually seen a few for around 8k give or take that already have most of the work done, ive seen a few with blowers and lots of bolt ons already installed for that price. I dont know if I would go for one of those though, when youre in a car forthat much money you'd really have to make sure the previous owner installed everything the right way, not all jacked up. I dont think i'd want any more than 350whp, being a daily driver means i'd get stuck in rain sometimes and maybe even snow, so too much power could really screw me in those situations. I drove my TA one winter, studded tires are a must.

How much does full bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, heads, cam) get you in a foxbody? I'm guessing not up to the 300whp mark, but i know the foxbody's are light so they could probably run down a 12.9/12.8 with less power than itd take an ss or a ws6 to do it.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:07 PM
99TA5.7

I should stop mentioning 300rwhp so much lol, its kinda deceiving. To be honest, I dont really care about the rwhp numbers, I just really want a daily driver that runs around 12.9 or so. In my area, theres not a whole lot going on race-wise, so car in the high 12's would hold its own very well and I'd be more than happy with that.

Quick Reply: 300 RWHP NA?