4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

o/r MAC ProChamber SCT tuning help

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:23 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Default o/r MAC ProChamber SCT tuning help

I just had an o/r MAC ProChamber h pipe installed, with my previous super 40 series american thunder catback. The car has a very strong exhaust smell coming through the bottom of the car, from the manifold area during idle. It's actually bad enough that it's like gassing myself in a garage. I do have an SCT SF3/x3 flash tuner since I had 4.10 gears put in. I was told since the cats were deleted I'd be running rich.

So I was wondering how I can adjust these parameters myself with the SCT tuner? There is only a WOT Air/Fuel ratio where I can adjust to make it .6% (increments) leaner or richer. However, it's under WOT category so does this mean this will affect the air/fuel under WOT or will it affect me under idle too?

I just needed some input from you guys before I start making things worse
Old 10-27-2012, 01:01 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by NewEdgeStang00
I just had an o/r MAC ProChamber h pipe installed, with my previous super 40 series american thunder catback. The car has a very strong exhaust smell coming through the bottom of the car, from the manifold area during idle. It's actually bad enough that it's like gassing myself in a garage. I do have an SCT SF3/x3 flash tuner since I had 4.10 gears put in. I was told since the cats were deleted I'd be running rich.
That is not true, neither the cats or the rear O² sensors have anything to do with engine control. The MAF, ECT, IAT, TPS and front O² sensors do--but not the cats.

So I was wondering how I can adjust these parameters myself with the SCT tuner? There is only a WOT Air/Fuel ratio where I can adjust to make it .6% (increments) leaner or richer. However, it's under WOT category so does this mean this will affect the air/fuel under WOT or will it affect me under idle too?

I just needed some input from you guys before I start making things worse
Two things come to mind however, any new exhaust component will stink as it burns off the manufacturing lubricants and coatings--and having no cats will make the exhaust stink.

If there actually is "very strong exhaust smell coming through the bottom of the car" then you have an exhaust leak--which can make the engine run rich if it is before or near the front O² sensors.

The exhaust flow is not one homogeneous stream, but rather a series of pulses created by each exhaust event. These pulses have a head, body, and tail; each with different characteristic, with their pressure relative to the outside world being the most significant.
  • The head is at a pressure higher than ambient, when it passes the "leak" the gas flows out into the world; but the chemical composition of the gas in the pipe remains unchanged;

• The body is at or close to ambient pressure. When it passes the leak nothing happens as it and the ambient pressure are nearly the same--the chemical make-up of the gas in the pipe remains unchanged;

• The tail is at less than ambient pressure (nearly a complete vacuum), and when it passes by the leak it sucks in ambient air--changing the exhaust gas chemical composition and making it appear "leaner" to the O² sensor;

This makes the PCM believe the mix is lean and it will wrongly make the mix richer to compensate. A big or close enough leak can cause the sensor response to slow or even appear "stuck" at lean.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:02 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Cliffy you never disappoint me. Thanks for all your insight! Yes there is a substantial exhaust leak at the passenger side header to midpipe connection before the o2 sensors
Old 10-27-2012, 05:31 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Cliffy you never disappoint me. Thanks for all your insight! Yes there is a substantial exhaust leak at the passenger side header to midpipe connection before the o2 sensors
That would do it...
Old 10-27-2012, 07:05 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

I do have the option to turn off the rear o2 sensors. Would that help at all?
Old 10-27-2012, 07:52 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I do have the option to turn off the rear o2 sensors. Would that help at all?
Not a bit--you need to fix the exhaust leak...
Old 10-28-2012, 02:25 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Here's the issue with the leak, the header has a little gap where it meets the midpipe. The drivers side came with a flared adapter, a cylinder sleeve, which helped cover that gap. However there isn't one for the passenger side. Any ideas on how to deal with this? I contacted American muscle, but they just sell the kits so I will have to contact MAC.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The passenger side is a flat flange connection that needs a gasket, unlike the ball and socket connection of the driver's side that does not.

Some aftermarket mid-pipes are not made well and need two gaskets to seal up the flanges--the engine will not run properly until this leak is fixed.

$6 to $8 at any FLAPS (Autozone $6.99)...

Last edited by cliffyk; 10-28-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:54 PM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man that's exactly what I needed to know. Right now I'm getting this sound, is this the exhaust leak or something else? I have not heard this sound before except for when I had my 4.10s first installed and tuned. After the tune it produced this sound so I returned to stock, and retuned and it went away. But now it's there tune or not.