4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

In need of transmission advise on 99 Stang...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 02:53 AM
DrPain80

Default In need of transmission advise on 99 Stang...

So I just bought this 1999 mustang gt with the 4.6L v8 in it. I've not had the time yet to check to see exactly what transmission is in it yet.. Though I was told upon purchase that it was not the original tranny that come in the car.. The car supposed to have a manual tranny but was converted to auto after the original was burnt up... Since the install of the auto tranny, there has been a shift kit put in though I have no clue to what kind... But here is my problem.. Upon purchase, I know that only reverse works on the car... The lady who owned it said she had the car put into the shop to have the gas filter and pump replaced and shortly after, it started to loose some tranny fluid.. This let the cars gears slip until now it won't pull in drive, 2, or 1... I'm planning to work on it tomorrow but need some ideas on how n what may be the issue.. First thing to do is check to fill the fluid... I was thinking of putting some lucus in it?? Will that may help any? What other things should I check and what could be wrong with it? I plan to keep the auto if possible until I have the funds to change it back to a manual. I'm not a rich guy so putting it in the shop is almost impossible so I'm looking for a cheap way to get it on the road for a few months until I can afford my standard tranny. All help is very much appreciated and I'd like to say thank you for the help in advance!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Not being able to put it into the shop takes away the possibility that the problem could be fixed without replacing the tranny. If you are short on cash, your best bet may be a used/remanufactured automatic, since that is how the car is set up now. Check a reman tranny shop, they will likely take yours in as a core to help cut down on the expense. I wouldnt say anything to them about the shift kit. That way, you get some kind of warranty. If that approach is too expensive, check your local boneyard for a used trans. I dont know what they cost but there were so many made that they cant be too expensive. The downside to that approach that is you get no warranty and you dont know how the trans has been treated or how much life it may have left in it. Good luck...
Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 PM
DrPain80

So basically your saying there is nothing I can do for a cheap fix until I can buy a new standard tranny?? I've not ever really torn into a tranny but I have done a lot of motor repair and replacements, but I think I can do it if I was to know what to fix.. Do you think it's pressure plates? Will lucus let it work for now?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

I'm not an auto trans expert, just trying to give you some pointers.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:31 AM
DrPain80

I really appreciate it very much btw... I'm just curious bc I'm sure that not just myself but others are having this same issue and would like to do quick/cheap fixes like this as well.. It's a very handsome car With a very unique paint job but it doesn't look to great just sitting in the yard lol. I've tried uploading pics on here but they won't load as profile pic... Says they are to big but maybe if someone sees it, then they may have the passion to want to help? Here's a link if anyone wants to see it..

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...ps35004d1e.jpg