4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Newbie Mustang questions

Old 11-03-2012, 11:29 AM
chillindamost

Default Newbie Mustang questions

I have been a member here for a month and have been reading and reading and then reading. I have my first mustang a 2003 gt convertable, bone stock other than a BBK cold air intake and I want to start modifying. First on my list is a new exhaust.
I am looking at a bassani catted x-pipe, but I am confused as to wether it will bolt up to my stock catback(ford original).

As time and money permit I will put a new catback system on but I am researching on what catback to get, that will not be too loud.(a little louder than stock is ok).
Any recomendations?
Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chillindamost
I have been a member here for a month and have been reading and reading and then reading. I have my first mustang a 2003 gt convertable, bone stock other than a BBK cold air intake and I want to start modifying. First on my list is a new exhaust.
I am looking at a bassani catted x-pipe, but I am confused as to wether it will bolt up to my stock catback(ford original).

As time and money permit I will put a new catback system on but I am researching on what catback to get, that will not be too loud.(a little louder than stock is ok).
Any recomendations?
Bassani x should bolt right up, but ive heard alot of negative reviews about it due to leaking since i believe it is a 5 piece pipe...

As far as getting something not too much louder, look into flowmaster or magnaflow. Both are too quiet for my liking so maybe if you search them on youtube you will find one you like
Old 11-03-2012, 12:50 PM
chillindamost

Thanks for the input. From reading I thought the Bassani x pipes have good fitament. What are your thoughts on bbk catted x pipes? they are a bit cheaper but they seem to have more issues with leaks and ground clearance.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:38 PM
MidNightRunner
2nd Gear Member

I have the Magnaflow Catted Tru-X X-Pipe, and flow masters cat back with stock headers due to California law.

It sounds GREAT! Not loud but beefy!

BBK makes a crappy stamped piece.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/1999-2...ted-xpipe.html
Old 11-03-2012, 08:21 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chillindamost
Thanks for the input. From reading I thought the Bassani x pipes have good fitament. What are your thoughts on bbk catted x pipes? they are a bit cheaper but they seem to have more issues with leaks and ground clearance.
im running bbk shorties, bbk catted x, and borla atak catback and it sounds great to me. LOUD with the borlas
Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
im running bbk shorties, bbk catted x, and borla atak catback and it sounds great to me. LOUD with the borlas
I have bbk long tubes, bbk off road x pipe, and borla mufflers with sensitive ears and I can tell you that the borla only begins to get loud once you get into the 2500-3000rpm range. Other than that it sounds like a dream.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I prefer H pipes over X pipes, check out a mac pro chamber they sound pretty good.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:56 AM
chillindamost

Thanks for the replies, I am going to go with my original bassani catted x, and then decide on a cat back. It seems no one system suits everyone for the sound they want, which is great cause it distinguishes ones mustang to their own taste.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

When I had my 04 gt I ran a BBK catted h-pipe with SSS Terminators, and loved it! It was one of the loudest setups out there for our cars, but had a great deep tone as well.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:45 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

if just a little over stock is okay, as far as sound goes, you may find that the catted x will do the trick w/o the additional cost of a catback. The stock crappy converter is where the majority of flow restriction is so an aftermarket midpipe, with or without cats, adds some sound even with the stock muffs. If you want a tad more sound after the midpipe, I recommend the magnaflow chambered muff, it has one of the tamest deeper tones for an aftermarket muffler.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie Mustang questions