4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2001 mustang gt not starting after washing engine bay

Old 11-13-2012, 10:45 AM
sfmustang
1st Gear Member

Hey Cliff,
I like your flex fuel signature.

I've been working on my car trying to get it to purr but I don't know if I'm paranoid that all the cylinders are not hitting. I've been doing maintenance work and have been improving the performance which makes me happy but after I listen to it again I hear some small imperfection, then get back to work trying to fix it. But in the mix of it all I did some engine cleaning with some tire cleaner, because it really makes it shine. So I don't know if that small imperfection I heard is nothing at all but normal engine rhythem, or if its caused by a pcm computer issue, bad ignition coil, timing, or maybe my tire cleaner i sprayed. I'm just trying to root out the problem eliminating variables. If it is the tire cleaner I sprayed the engine, would it dry out eventually, I'd been driving a few days? I think I need to disconnect one ignition coil at a time to see if I hear any difference.

Sorry to thread steal.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Further describe "small imperfection". I assume you mean a slight misfire but at what engine speeds and load? Idle, light acceleration, heavy acceleration, whatever???
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM
sfmustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Further describe "small imperfection". I assume you mean a slight misfire but at what engine speeds and load? Idle, light acceleration, heavy acceleration, whatever???

Yes, like a slight misfire. Good your asking me very specific questions, let me think....

Ok, when the engine is at the rpm range where you would hear that drone then, slow accelerate so you can hear the engine run.

I would expect it to be a, (how should i put it) a smooth purrrrrrr, but I do hear a slight gurgle. Something like purrrrrggrrrrrrggrrrrrrrggrrrrrr.

But I dont know if thats the rhythem of the engine, or if i'm misfiring. I think its a misfire.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:27 AM
sfmustang
1st Gear Member

As for load, just me in the car, straight even road.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM
sfmustang
1st Gear Member

By the way I started a thread about a week ago and made some head way.

Its two pages long.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 AM
sfmustang
1st Gear Member

As to the OP,

Is it your immobilizer? On my honda a week ago my alternator went bad and messed up my computer. I had to buy a new alternator and computer and have it flashed and I also had to get the key reprogrammed to the new computer.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 PM
E36m3power

Yes I did today still no luck just cranking I have no other ideas, the mil came on and I pulled the code it's p1121 throttle position sensor don't know if that could have anything to do with it?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:29 PM
E36m3power

I was thinking it might be along the lines of an Anti theft thing but wouldn't that keep me from being able to push start it?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:54 PM
sfmustang
1st Gear Member

I did some searching online and it seems if the immobilizer is tripped you can still start a car by push starting it.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 AM
E36m3power

Thats what I was afraid of, looks like its to the dealer then! Thanks for all the help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 mustang gt not starting after washing engine bay